- The first person to use the term 'geography' is Greek scholar Erastosthenes.
- Cartography is the study of maps
- Geomorphology is the study of landforms, their distribution and origin.
- Hydrology is the study of earth's water-ocean, rivers, glaciers etc.
- Earth is lying between planets Venus and Mars
- Earth is fifth largest Planet
- Earth is an oblate spheroid – It has 18 meter rise at the north pole and 26 meter depression at the south pole.
- Modern air routes and ocean navigation are based on the assumption that the earth is round.
- Age of earth is 4.5 billion years
- Earth rotation itself time is 23 hours, 56 minutes, 4.09 seconds
- Earth revolution around sun period is 365 days , 6 hours, 9 minutes, 9.54 seconds
- Polar Diameter (distance from north to south pole) is 12713.54 kilometres
- Equatorial Diameter (distance through equator) is 12756.32 kilometres. Higher than polar diametre
- Circumference : Polar – 40008 km, Equatorial – 40075.16 km
- Total Surface Area of Earth is 509,700,000 square km. Land area is 148,400,000 square km (29 % of total surface area) . Water area 361,300,000 (71 % 0f total suface area)
- Mass of the earth is 5.88828*1021
- Mean Denisty – 5.517
- Highest land area of earth– Mount Everest (8,848 metres above sea level)
- Lowest Land area of earth– Shore of Dead Sea, 399 metres below sea level
- Deepest part of Ocean - Area of Mariana Trench in Pacific ocean south west of Guam (11,033 metres below sea level)
- Average Ocean Depth is 3730 metres.
- Highest temperature on earth is 58o C at Al Aziziyah, Libya
- Lowest temprature on earth is -89o C at Vostok Station in Antartica.
- Average Surface Temprature is 14o C
|TNPSC Group 4 Exam 2016||TNPSC VAO Exam 2016|
|TNPSC Group 1 Exam 2016||TNPSC Group 2A Exam 2016|
|TNPSC Group 2 Result Published||Tamilnadu Teachers Eligibility Test (TNTET)|
|Lab Assistant Exam Updates||Tamil Nadu Police Constable Exam 2016|
Geography Study Material for TNPSC Group Exams -Part 1
D.Kessal is the founder and author of TNPSCPortal Website ( www.tnpscportal.in ) . Started as a small blog (www.tnpsc-portal.blogspot.in) in 2012 to help the aspirants of various competitive examination conducted by the government recruitment agencies like TNPSC, TRB and TNUSRB. Now it is a premier guidance website for TNPSC, TRB, TET, TNUSRB aspirants of Tamilnadu.