- Dr.Muthulaksmi was born in the year 1886 at Pudukottai.
- She was the first Indian woman to study in the men's college in Pudukottai
- First Indian woman to obtain a medical degree from Madras Medical College in the year1912
- First Woman Member of a Legislative Council during the British rule.
- She served as a Deputy Chairperson of the Madras Legislative Council
- First President of All India Women's Associaion
- First Woman Alder-man of the Madras Corporation
- Studied at Royal Cancer Hospital, London. She was an instrument in starting Adyar Cancer Institute.
- She established a home at Tambaram with the help of the government aid for orphan children, widows and destitute women.
- She was the reason behind the Bills on Child Marriage and Abolition of Devadasi System.
- Founded Avvai Home at Adyar for the benifit of destitude women
- She introduced a free education scheme for girls upto class eight.
- She was Awarded Padma Bhusan in 1956.
- "Dr.Muthulakshmi Maternity Stipendary Sheme" - established by Tamilnadu Government is a financial assistant scheme for Pregnant Women.
TNPSC Latest News : Group IV 2018 Latest Updates | Group 2 2018| Group 1 2018 | Annual Planner 2018
Home history Study Material TNPSC Study Materials - History - Prominent personalities - Dr.Muthulaksmi