Daily Current Affairs : 1st March 2017
Prepared by : Ms.Sarala Dhavamanoharan, Vilupuram
1. Goods and service tax ( GST) will be implemented from July 1,2017 said by Sakthi Kanta Das ( Revenue secretary) according to Shri. Arun Jaitley ( Finance Minister )
2. Indian Meteorological Research Centre ( Chennai Branch ) and Regional Meteorological Research Centre( Chennai) celebrated National science Day ( Feb 28)at Nungambakkam and a conference held on the topic “ Monsoon Rain -2016”( Paruva Mazhai -2016)
3. National Science Day is celebrated on Feb 28th to remember the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian Physicist Shri Chandrashekara Venkata Raman ( Sir C.V. Raman).The theme of National Science Day 2017 is “ Science and Technology for Specially Abled persons”.
4. Central Government has allocated Rs. 57.5 Crores for building shipyard at Cuddalore Port under “Sagar mala Scheme”. It is Central- state project. State Govt also provide Rs. 57.5 Crore rupees.
5. Humsafar Express ( Weekly ) was introduced which runs between Rajasthan’s sriganga to Trichy.
6. ISSF Shooting World Cup is going on at Dr. Karni singh Shooting range in New Delhi
At 10 m Air pistol( Men)
- Gold Medal was bagged by World Champion No.1 Japan’s Tomoyuki Matsuda (240.1 points)
- Silver Medal was bagged by Rio Olympic champion Vietnam’s Vinh Xuan Hoang (236.6 points)
- Bronze Medal was bagged by India’s Army guy Jitu Rai ( 216.7 points)
At 10 m Air pistol( Mixed)
- Jitu Rai teamed up with Heena Sidhu to bag the ‘gold badge’
7. Marathon Double Trap : India’s Ankur Mittal bagged silver : Pooja Ghatkar won silver badge at 10 m air piston women category
8. India’s first integrated Heliport was opened at New Delhi on 28th Feb2017 by Central Airways Minister Gajapathy Raju. It was built by Pawan Hans ( Public sector company ) at Rohini( New Delhi). It can handle 150 passengers daily. It can land 16 Helicopters in 4 closed Chambers and 9 helicopters can be landed in open.It is South Asia’s first Heliport.
9. Bacteria to prevent dengue was discovered . It was named as Wolfasia by IMCR at Puducherry along with Australia’s Monas University .This bacteria would be injected into Ades mosquito since Dengue, Chickenkunya and Zika was spread by this Ades mosquito only. If this bacterial injected Ades mosquitoes bites a human being won’t be affected by dengue. There is no Zika affected case in India but there are huge cases of dengue and Chickengunya even in Tamil Nadu. There is no efficiency for wolfasia bacteria in India to control dengue so these bacteria would be imported from Australia.
10. Southern Railways has announced that Suvedha Express will be run between Chennai central to Kollam from April 13,2017
11. Driving License can be applied through online in e-servicetransport in this website address said by RTO
12. Heart of TN Govt ( TN Secretariat ) is affected by water scarcity as its ground water level dropped drown.
13. Tanjore Tamil University’s HOD of Translation Department Asst. Professor Perumal has passed away.
14. As per National Child Policy 2013, TN State children’s draft Policy 2017 was recommened by State Children rights Commission for compulsory education till the age of 18 or upto 12th Std to prevent Child marriage and child labour in rural areas , protect child Health and to provide safety and security.
15. March 15- Postal Grievances day will be celebrated by Chennai North Division office. Public can post a letter to address their grievances before March 10 to this office.
16. Farmers drought relief fund of Rs 2247 Crore has been allocated by TN govt and it will be directly credited into Farmers account who was suffered more than 33 percent of drought
( Nearly 32 lakh farmers)
17. Netherland’s former women Hockey Team’s Coach “ Joyard Marine “ was appointed as Indian women Hockey Team’s chief Coach for next 4 years said by Indian Hockey Association .
18. Donald Trump ( US President) has allocated additional 5400 crore dollars to their American Army to strengthen their security and defence.
20. Central Govt has strictly ordered all the banks to facilitate net banking for all their account holders before March 31st,3017
21. A bill to get back unsatisfied MP’s and MLA’s by the voter’s has been passed by Lok Sabha MP Varun Gandhi in New Delhi.
22. DRDO has successfully test fired Prithvi supersonic interceptor missile at Abdul Kalam Island at Bhuvaneshwar , Odisha
23. In TN for the first time wind electricity generation has reached 1200 crore units
1.D. R. Doley Barman ( Senior IPS officer ) was appointed as the director of Sardar Vallabhai Patel National Police Academy.
2. Indian Railways launched the country’s first Antyodaya Express between Ernakulam (Kerala) and Howrah (West Bengal) which is a fully unreserved train for common people.
3. Russia and China have vetoed a UN resolution that aimed to impose sanctions on Syria over chemical weapons use.
4. National Tiger Conservation authority has banned BBC from shooting Tiigers for next 5 years in Indian Tiger reserves.BBC-British Broadcasting Corporation.
5. Reliance Jio in collaboration with Cisco decided to build world’s largest All-IP Digital Services Platform.
6.Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) and Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City) have signed a MoU to increase cooperation and collaboration between the two financial centres.
7. Noted Gujarathi Play writer Tarak Mehta was passed away.
8. The Union Ministry of Miniorities affairs has launched “ The Hamari Dharohar scheme “ which aimed at preserving their Culture.
9. National Consultation workshop on urban development was held in New Delhi
10. Namami Brahmaputra is a river festival is going to held by Assam.
11.Sumit Mullick ( Senior IAS officer ) is appointed as the New Chief secretary of Maharashtra
12. Donald Trump has introduced Merit based immigration system to do away with lower skilled immigration during his first address to the Congress.
13. The growth of eight core sectors slowed down to a five-month low of 3.4% in January 2017 mainly due to contraction in output of refinery products, fertiliser and cement. These core industries comprise nearly 38 % of the weight of items included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) which details out the growth of various sectors in an economy such as mining, electricity and manufacturing.
14. Famous author Neil Gaiman was appointed as a global goodwill ambassador of United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Neil Gaiman is an English author of novels, short fiction, graphic novels, comic books, audio theatre and films. He has won numerous awards.
15. Indian shuttlers Tarun Kona and Alwin Francis have won the men’s doubles gold at the 2017 Uganda International Series. The Indian duo defeated Aatish Lubah and Georges Julien Paul of Mauritius
16. Former Indian women’s cricketer Shantha Rangaswamy (63) became the first female cricketer to be nominated for the BCCI’s C K Nayudu Lifetime Lifetime Achievement Award. She is pioneer of Indian women’s cricket and was Indian women’s cricket team’s first captain way back in 1976. currently, she is cricket writer and working as an executive (General Manager) at Canara Bank (Bangalore Region).
17. Lipstick Under My Burkha directed by Alankritha Srivasthava has won the audience award at the Glasgow Film Festival. Recently, it was refused certification by the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)
18. Nand Kumar sai, the senior tribal leader was appointed as the chairman of National commission for scheduled tribes.
19. Meena Hemchandra , Executive Director of RBI will chair the reserve bank’s inter disciplinary standing committee on cyber security.
20. NFHS ( National Family Health survey ) have shown Sex ratio at birth (number of females per 1,000 males) has improved from 914 to 919 at the national level over the last decade. It is highest in Kerala (1,047), followed by Meghalaya (1,009) and Chhattisgarh (977). Haryana also witnessed a significant increase from 762 to 836.
21. Birendra Singh yadav was accredited as the Ambassador of India to The Republic of Togo with residence in Accra
22. OECD launched the economic survey of India 2017 recently
OECD – Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
23. The Union Government has signed a Financing Agreement with World Bank for IDA credit of $63 million for the Tejaswini Socio-Economic Empowerment of Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) Project. It is World Bank’s first project in India solely focused on the welfare of adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) aged between 14 and 24 to complete their secondary level education and provide relevant skills for job market.
24. Assam government has decided to appoint a teacher to monitor cleanliness in all of its high school
25. March 1 Zero discrimination Day is observed annually. Theme for 2017- Make Some Noise for Zero Discrimination.
26. The Madurai bench of the Madras High Court has ordered Tamil Nadu government to enact a law with prohibitory and penal clauses to eradicate Seemai Karuvelam (prosopis juliflora) trees within two months as it sucks lot of water ultimately affect the environment and agricultural activities.
27. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has entered into 10 more Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) pertaining to various sectors of economy like Telecom, Banking & Finance, Pharmaceutical, Steel, Retail and IT etc It includes 7 Unilateral APAs, 2 Bilateral APAs with the United Kingdom and Japan. Seven of these Agreements have Rollback provisions in them.
28. The fourth edition of India – CLMV (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam) Business Conclave was held in Jaipur, capital of Rajasthan.
29. The Union Government has shifted the responsibility of promoting digital transactions in the country to the Union Ministry of IT and Electronics (MEITY) from NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog. In this regard, Government already has changed the business transaction rules to enable MEITY to promote digital transactions, including digital payments. NITI Aayog also implemented two programmes Lucky Grahak Yojana and Digi-Dhan Vyapar Yojana to promote e-payments.
30. Three institutes of Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE), Dehradun have developed 20 high-yielding varieties of plant species. These three institutes are Forest Research Institute (FRI), Dehradun Tropical Forest Research Institute (TFRI), Jabalpur and Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding (IFGTB), Coimbatore. ICFRE’s Variety Releasing Committee (VRC) has granted approval for the release of these varieties of plant species. These developed varieties had gone through stringent long field trials and testing before release.
- IFGTB, Coimbatore has developed five inter-specific hybrids of Casuarina equisetifolia Casuarina junghuhniana for timber use.
- TFRI, Jabalpur has developed two varieties of medicinal plant Rauvolfia serpentina.
- FRI, Dehradun has developed 10 improved varieties of Melia dubia (popularly known as Dreake or Malabar Neem) and 3 clones of Eucalyptus tereticornis, the timber of which is in high demand in the industry.