Prepared by D.Sarala, Viluppuram
1. Central Railway zone of Indian Railway has unveiled India’s first air-conditioned rail ambulance. The four-coach AC ambulance will be stationed at Kaylan (Maharashtra). It is modified version of AC coaches used for passenger services. This rail ambulance can carry and treat 50 patients at one time. It also has in house operation theatre to carry out minor surgeries and provide immediate relief. It will be mainly be used during train accidents as it can carry accident victims to hospital in a short time. However, in normal times, it will be used for providing medical facilities in large congregations.
2. Indian National Congress (INC) won the 2017 Punjab Legislative Assembly election by winning 77 seats of the total 117 seats. The election was held on 4 February 2017 in single phase.
3. Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) won the 2017 Uttarakhand Legislative Assembly election by winning 57 seats of the total 70 seats. The election was held on 15 February 2017 in a single phase for 69 seats except Karnaprayag.
4. Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) won the 17th Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly election by winning 312 seats of the total 403 seats. he election was held from 11 February to 8 March 2017 in 7 phases
5. Indian National Congress (INC) emerged as the single largest party in the 2017 Goa Legislative Assembly election by winning 17 seats of the total 40 seats. The election was held on February 4, 2017 in the single phase.
6. Indian National Congress (INC) emerged as the single largest party in the 2017 Manipur Legislative Assembly election by winning 28 seats of the total 60 seats. The election was held on 4 March & 8 March 2017 in two phases.
7. British Formula One (F1) legend John Surtees passed away. He was 83. He was the only racer to have won world championships on motorbikes and in Formula One.
8. Europe’s biggest bank HSBC Holdings Plc has appointed Mark Tucker as its chairman. He will replace Douglas Flint and would take over as group chairman designate from September 2017 and as non-executive group chairman on October 2017.
9. SSP Chawrasia (38) created history after defending his title at the Hero Indian Open with a remarkable seven-stroke win in New Delhi. He is only the second Indian golfer after Jyoti Randhawa to successfully defend the Hero Indian Open. It was his sixth win on the Asian Tour and overall sixth international victory. With this victory, he also became the first Indian to win back-to-back Indian Open titles at different venues (DGC & DLF Golf & Country Club). He also became first Indian to successfully defend a European Tour title and the first player to win their first four events in their home country.
10. The Lok Sabha has passed the Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims) Bill, 2016. The Bill aims to establish uniform legal framework by consolidating the existing laws relating to admiralty jurisdiction of courts, admiralty proceedings on maritime claims, arrest of vessels and related issues. It also aims to repeal five obsolete British statutes statutes (laws) on admiralty jurisdiction in civil matters which are 126 to 177 years old and were hindering efficient governance. The five laws are Admiralty Court Act, 1840; Admiralty Court Act, 1861; Colonial Courts of Admiralty Act, 1890; Colonial Courts of Admiralty (India) Act, 1891; and Provisions of the Letters Patent, 1865.
11. State-run NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) has installed India’s largest floating solar photovoltaic (PV) plant at Rajiv Gandhi Combined Cycle Power Plant (RGCCPP) at Kayamkulam in Kerala. The 100 kWp (kilowatt peak) floating solar PV plant has been indigenously developed as a part of Union Government flagship ‘Make In India’ initiative.
12. Union Government has appointed Narendra Kumar as the new chairman of the Central Water Commission (CWC)
13. Punjab has won the 71st Santosh Trophy football tournament by defeating Railways by 2-1 goals. It was Punjab’s overall ninth Santosh Trophy after it had earlier won it in 1970, 1974, 1980, 1984, 1985, 1987, 2006 and 2007.
14. Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei won the 2017 All England Championship Title of Badminton in the men’s singles event. In the final match he defeated China’s Shi Yuqi ,Women’s Single: Tai Tzu-ying (China) won the title by defeating Ratchanok Intanon (Thailand) Men’s Double: Indonesia’s Marcus Gideon and Kevin Sukamuljo won the title by defeating China’s Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen, Women’s Double: South Korea’s Chang Ye Na and Lee So Hee won the title by defeating Denmark’s Kamilla Rytter Juhl and Christinna Pedersen ,Mixed Double: China’s Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong won the title by defeating Malaysia’s Peng Soon Chan and Liu Ying Goh
15. Thailand Celebrates National Elephant Day on 13th March 2017
16. Odisha will be hosting the 22nd Asian Athletics Championship will be held in July 2017
17. Ministry of agriculture and Farmer Welfare has launched “ Mission Fingerling “ for blue revolution.
18. Arun Jaitley was given the additional charge of Defence ministry.
19. Biren Singh was elected as the leader of BJP legislature party in Manipur.
20. Uber , the popular car service has launched “ Real time ID check “ in India to ensure rider safety .
21. Japan is planning to send its largest war ship on a 3 month tour through South China Sea, in its biggest show of naval forces since World war II .
22. Sri Lanka has sought two more years from the UN Human Rights Council to probe the alleged war crimes committed during the Conflict with LTTE.
23. Seema Verma was confirmed by the US Senate as administrator of 1 trillion dollars .Centre for Medicare & Medicaid services ( CMS) .
24. Sergei Portugalov ( former Chief) of the Russian Athletics Federation’s medical Commission was banned for life time by CAS in a doping case.
25. India’s aviation regulator DGCA has directed the airlines to disallow over size baggages on flights operating to Performance Limited Airports
26. Foundation Stone for Banana Research Centre at Vaishali , Bihar was laid by Union Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare Minister ( Radha Mohan Singh)
27. Telangana state government has announced “KCR Kit Scheme” to distribute 16 essential things to a new born baby.
28. An exhibition on “ Revolutionary Patriots ( 1905-1947)” was inaugurated by Secretary of Union Ministry of Culture N.K.Sinha on the Occasion of “127th Foundation day of National Archives of India