Prepared by D.Sarala, Viluppuram
1. BJP’s N Biren Singh took oath as the Chief Minister of Manipur. He was administered oath to the office and secrecy by Governor Najma Heptulla. National People’s Party’s (NPP) Joykumar takes oath as the deputy chief minister. This is for the first time in India’s history since independence, BJP was able to form government in Manipur.
2. Former Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar took oath as the Chief Minister of Goa for the fourth time. He was administered oath to the office and secrecy along with nine ministers of his government by Governor Mridula Sinha
3. Pakistan is going to conduct its first national census in 19 years and overall sixth population census. It will be conducted in two phases and will be completed by May 25, 2017.
4. Bangladesh Parliament has unanimously adopted a resolution declaring March 25 as Genocide Day. It will be remembrance day of the atrocities carried out by the Pakistani Army in the night of March 25, 1971. The Pakistan Army on the night of March 25, 1971 had launched ‘Operation Searchlight’ to crush the Bengali rebellion following refusal by the West Pakistan military leadership to accept the election results of 1970 in which the Awami League got thumping majority.
5. The United States (US) Senate has confirmed Indian-American Seema Verma for a top health care position in the Donald Trump administration. She is the second Indian-American in the administration to be confirmed by the Senate after US Ambassador to UN Nikki Haley. Seema Verma will head the $1 trillion Centres of Medicare and Medicaid Services that provides health care to 130 million people in US.
6. India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has incorporated SBI Infra Management Solutions Pvt. Ltd (SBIIMS) to manage its premises and estate related matters. SBIIMS primary role will be to handle non-core business such as transaction management, facility management, project management, advisory services and implementation of policies and initiatives.
7. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has removed all limits on cash withdrawal from savings bank account imposed on November 8, 2016 after the demonetisation drive.
8. Justice (Retd) Chittaranjan Sharma was sworn in as Assam’s Upalokayukta. He was administered oath to the office by Governor Banwarilal Purohit at a simple ceremony at the Raj Bhawan. Justice Sharma was a former Judge of the Guwahati High Court.
9. The Madhukar Gupta Committee on border protection has submitted its report to the Union Government to strengthen border protection and address vulnerabilities in fencing along the Indo-Pakistan border. It was announced by the Union Minister of State (MoS) for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju in a written reply to question in the Lok Sabha.
10. According to Mercer’s Quality of Living index rankings 2017, for the third consecutive time, Hyderabad (Telangana) has emerged as the best Indian city in terms of quality of living. Globally, Vienna (Italy) for the fourth time in a row has emerged as world’s best city for overall quality of living for the eighth year running. In terms of city infrastructure rankings, Singapore has topped the list followed by Frankfurt and Munich both in 2nd place. Baghdad (230) and Port au Prince (231) ranked at the bottom for city infrastructure. Amongst Indian cities, Mumbai is ranked the highest at 141, followed by Kolkata (149) and Pune (151) in city infrastructure rankings. Bangalore was rated the lowest (177) by the report.
11. Scientists have discovered polka dot tree frog (Hypsiboas punctatus), the world’s first fluorescent frog in Argentina. The newly discovered amphibian sports a muted palette of greens, reds and yellows under normal light, but in the dark gives off a bright blue and green glow. In ultraviolet flashlight (or black light), polka dot tree frogs gave off an intense greenish-blue glow instead of a faint red. Three molecules hyloin-L1, hyloin-L2 and hyloin-G1 were responsible for green fluorescence.
12. The Parliament has passed Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2016 by voice vote to make amendments to the Enemy Property Act, 1968. The Bill replaces the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Ordinance, 2016 promulgated by President Pranab Mukherjee for five times.
13. The Union Government is going to launch pilot project on ornamental fisheries in 8 potential States with total outlay of over 61 crore rupees. These 8 potential States identified includes Assam, West Bengal , Odisha, Maharashtra , Gujarat , Karnataka , Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
14. World Consumer Rights Day was Observed on March 15th. The theme of this year is “Building a Digital World, Consumers can Trust”
15. Krish Unnati Mela 2017 was inaugurated in New Delhi
16. Pakistan introduced China’s low to medium altitude air defence system ( LOMADS) LY 80 in its air defence system recently .
17. Volkswagen Group signed a MOU with Tata Motors for exploring joint development projects.
18. New Delhi is hosting the three day international conference on Vision Zero and its relevance to Occupational Health and Safety
19. The Theme of 2017 Common Wealth Day is “ A Peace building common wealth “
20. State Bank of India has announced a one-time farm loan settlement scheme worth Rs. 6000 Crore primarily for tractors .
21. The former President of BCCI Shashank Manohar has resigned as the Chairman of International Cricket Council.
22. The highest court of European Union ruled in favour of allowing employees to ban their workers from wearing visible religious symbols including Hijab
23. Hockey India recently roped in three scientific advisors to work with fitness aspects of their senior and junior national teams
24. The Great Britain Cycling Team Double Olympic Gold medalist Joanna Rowsell Shand announced her retirement from International Cycling
25. Pakistan State Sponsor of Terrorism Act of 2017 ( HR 1449) was introduced in the US House of representatives by Ted Poe , the chairman of the House Subcommittee on Terrorism