Prepared by D.Sarala, Viluppuram
1. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has joined the 36th Indian Scientific Expedition to Antarctica (36-ISEA) organised by the National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR). It has send four teams-one team each from Space Applications Centre (SAC), National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) and and Space Physics Laboratory(SPL). The main objective of this expedition is to install stakes on ice for Differential Global Positioning System (DGPS) measurements around two Indian bases Bharati and Maitri in Antartica. ISRO teams will also study of snow melt and freeze dynamics in Antarctica using space-based and ground-based observations. It will also study measurements of Atmospheric Black Carbon (BC), greenhouse gases and solar radiation fluxes at Antarctica on a long-term basis. India had constructed Dakshin Gangotri Antarctic research base in 1983. It was superseded by the Maitri base from 1990,India’s newest base in Antarctica, Bharati, was commissioned in 2015.
2. West Bengal won the 2017 Santosh Trophy of football by defeating Goa by 1-0 goals. It was 71st edition of Santosh Trophy and overall record 32nd win of West Bengal.
3. Carrie Lam ( Beijing based civil servant ) was chosen as the first female Chief Executive of Hong kong.
4. India and World Bank have signed Financing Agreement for IDA credit of $100 million for the “Uttarakhand Health Systems Development Project”. The project aims to improve access to quality health services, particularly in the hilly districts of the state and to expand health financial risk protection for residents of the State.
5. The Union Finance Minister has approved re-organisation of field formations of the Central Board of Excise & Customs (CBEC) for the implementation of Goods & Services Tax (GST). Under it, CBEC will be renamed as the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) after getting required legislative approval.
6. Scientists of Germany switched on the world’s largest “ Artificial Sun “ recently.
7. A Court in Yemen has passed a rule of Sentencing the Country’s own President to death for high treason
8. Australian Grand Prix is a Formula One motor race that took place on 26th March 2017 in Melbourne. The title was one by Sebastian Vettel.
9. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has handed over three naval systems to the Indian Navy. These latest systems will significantly enhance the navy’s navigation and communication network. The systems were handed over to Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba by Union Defence Minister Arun Jaitley in New Delhi. IP-based secure phone: It incorporates an indigenous encryption algorithm on a “trustworthy hardware platform”. It will provide high level of secrecy to voice and data, for communication of strategic and tactical plans of the Armed Forces. Gallium Nitride Technology: It will substantially help in the development of next generation radars, seekers and communication systems, for application in Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) and the third one is USHUS-II submarine sonar.
10. The Indian Navy is preparing for de- induction of TU142M a long range Maritime Patrol Aircraft after 29 years of dedicated service to the nation.
11. The Supreme Court of India advised that the government cannot make Aadhaar mandatory for availing benefits of welfare schemes.
12. Hatsun is planning to set up two green field projects in 2017-18 in Coimbatore and Ongole.
13. Anthony ammal won Gold in Beach Kabadi held in South Africa. She belongs to the district of Villupuram.
14. India stands at third position in Aviation market in terms of domestic passenger traffic.