Prepared by D.Sarala, Viluppuram
1. The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) has been permitted to borrow directly from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Official Development Assistance (ODA) loan for implementation of Mumbai Trans Harbor Link (MTHL) project as per the policy guidelines approved by the Union government to permit financially strong State Government entities to borrow directly from official development partners for implementing vital infrastructure projects.
2. Krishi Karman awards for their record performance in the production of food grains during 2015-16 was bagged by Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh and Tripura. In addition to these states , Meghalaya received commendation prize for total food grain production.
3. Use of red beacon at cars of VIP’s were banned as per the decision taken by the Union Cabinet and it will come into effect from 1st Amy,2017. Only three personalities were exempted from this, The President, The Vice-president and The Chief Justice of India. This ban is applicable to the prime minister, union ministers, chief ministers, state cabinet ministers, bureaucrats and judges of the High Court and Supreme Court. Accordingly police vehicles, ambulance and fire brigade will be allowed to use blue beacon.
4. The Centre has chosen Bengaluru-based Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) and Hyderabad-based Electronics Corporation of India Ltd (ECIL) to manufacture the VVPAT units to be used in 2019 General elections as demanded by Election Commission to the Union government to sanction funds for procuring VVPAT (Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trial)
5. Chinese President Xi Jinping has announced a restructure of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) with an aim to make it as a leaner fighting force with enhanced joint operations capability.
6. The India Meteorological Department’s (IMD) has predicted that South West monsoon would be normal this year with average rainfall.
7. The Andhra Pradesh state government has formulated guidelines for a market intervention exercise to help red chilli farmers in the state who are in a great distress due to the price crash in the market yard.
8. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan won the referendum on granting him sweeping new powers by a clear majority.
9. As per World bank report India’s GDP will grow by 7.2% for the year 2017-18 compared to previous financial year 6.8% in 2016-17
10. Prime Minister felicitated the descendants of 16 families associated with Paika Rebellion of 1817 and other freedom struggles of Odisha in Bhubaneswar. The main cause of the revolution was the takeover of the rent-free land that had been given to the Paika for their military service to the Kingdom of Khurda.
11. INS Chennai, a Kolkata-class stealth Guided missile destroyer ship was commissioned into Indian Navy’s combat fleet on 21 November 2016 in Mumbai. ‘INS Chennai’, was dedicated to Chennai in the presence of the chief minister of Tamil Nadu and the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command. It is a ‘P15A Guided Missile Destroyer’, the class comprises of three ships. INS Kolkata, the first ship of the class got commissioned on August, 2014. The second ship, INS Kochi, got commissioned on September, 2015. The third ship, INS Chennai, got commissioned on November, 2016
12. A nationwide programme for capacity building of Elected Women Representatives (EWRs) of Panchayats and a training program for Trainers of women panchayat leaders at Ranchi, Jharkhand was launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in collaboration with the Ministry of Panchayati Raj
13. Prime Minister has inaugurated phase-I (Link-2) pipeline canal of the ambitious Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation (SAUNI) Yojana in Botad district of Gujarat. He laid foundation stone for the Phase-II (Link-2) of the SAUNI Yojana in Saurashtra.
14. President has inaugurated Global Exhibition on Services (GES-2017) at India Expo Mart, Greater Noida which highlight India’s potential to boost its services exports across sectors.
15. Australia wants to adopt ‘Australians first’ approach to skilled migration so it has abolished the 457 Visa Programme used by temporary foreign workers, a majority of them Indians to address growing unemployment in that country.
16. Prof. A.V. Narasimha Murthy, Chairman, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BVB), Mysuru and former Head, Department of Ancient History and Archaeology, University of Mysore was selected for the Dr. Gururaja Bhat award in consideration of his contribution to Indian Archaeology, Ancient History and Numismatics.
17. Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has set up a National Anti-Microbial Resistance Research and Surveillance Network (AMRRSN) to enable compilation of data of AMR at the national level. ‘Inter-Ministerial Consultation on AMR containment’ held at New Delhi. The Ministers signed a ‘Delhi Declaration’ to contain Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR)
18. Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has made sweeping changes to Citizenship laws , As per the new requirement, applicants for obtaining citizenship must be permanent residents for at least four years, the applicants have to pass a standalone English test .
19. The Union Government and the insurgent group NSCN had entered into a ceasefire accord in 1997. The Union Government has extended the ceasefire with the two Naga armed factions, namely, National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Reformation (NSCN-R) and National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Neakpao-Kithovi (GPRN/NSCN) till April 27, 2018
20. Assam Chief Minister (Sarbananda Sonowal )has mooted an idea of developing the birthplace of Srimanta Sankardev Batadrava as an international tourist spot. Sankaradev is credited for inspiring the Bhakti Movement in Assam.
21. India has contributed USD 2,50,000 to the UN Election Assistance Division to help other countries to hold elections and develop their electoral systems. Earlier it was made in 2012.
This is for the second time ,India has contributed towards electoral assistance and capacity building.
22. For the first time, UNESCO’s Felix Houphouet-Boigny Peace Prize 2017 the award goes to a mayor. Mayor of Lampedusa (Italy) Giuseppina Nicolini ( 56) She has been selected for the award for “her boundless humanity and unwavering commitment to refugee crisis management” and the another winner is SOS Méditerranée (France) an NGO founded in 2015 to rescue the refugees each week from dinghies and boats in the Mediterranean.
23. ISRO planned to launch GSLV-Mk III-D1 Launcher in May 2017. GSAT-19 would be the payload for the first developmental flight has a mass of 3200 kg and would carry Ka and Ku band payload along with a Geostationary Radiation Spectrometer Payload (GRASP).
24. e-sports would be introduced as a medal sport to the official program of the Asian Games at Hangzhou, China. It will be included as a demonstration sport at the 2018 Asian Games in Palembang, Indonesia. The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) will feature Video gaming as a full sport at the 2022 Asian Game. The decision to include e-sports was taken to reflect “the rapid development and popularity of this new form of sports participation among the youth. Asian Games is also known as Asiad. It is held every 4 years. It is considered next to Olympics.
25. The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad has bagged the carbon neutrality status( level 3) by Airports Council International (ACI). The level 3+ status which it has achieved now is the fourth and highest accreditation under ACI’s Carbon Accreditation programme.
26. Astronomers have discovered yet another planet, called LHS1140b, The planet is found to be rocky, like the Earth but is over six-times as massive as Earth and about 1.5-times larger and falls under the category of ‘Super Earth’.
27. The IMF has predicted that the global economy would grow at 3.5% in 2017, up from 3.1 % in 2016 , and 3.6% in 2018. IMF ( International Monetary Fund )came into existence on December 27, 1945. Its headquarters is in Washington, D.C.
28. Trump has ordered the country’s federal agencies to tighten the H-1B visa programme, widely used to bring high-skilled foreign workers to the US. This order is aimed at fulfilling his campaign pledges to put “America First”.
29. The Vistadome air-conditioned coach is a first-of-its-kind on Indian Railways that has been introduced to promote tourism. The coach has been built by the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai with features like glass roof, LED lights, rotating seats, GPS-based information system, large glass windows and observation lounge among others. It also has a glass-domed ceiling, automatic sliding doors and a multi-tier luggage rack. The coach will have panoramic view of the sites along the 128-km rail route from Visakhapatnam to Araku valley hill station. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has flagged off Visakhapatnam-Kirandul passenger train with see-through, vistadome coaches through a video link from Bhubaneswar.
30. On November 30, 2016, the Supreme Court has made it mandatory for all the cinema halls across the nation to play the national anthem with the image of the national flag displayed before screening of a movie, and the audience must stand and show respect. When playing it. Now the Supreme Court has exempted 6 categories of disabled persons from standing during it. The six categories include people suffering from cerebral palsy, Parkinson disease, muscular dystrophy and other categories of disability.
31. India’s first ‘conceptualized, designed and manufactured articulated industrial robot’ called “BRABO”( “Bravo Robot”) which was fully owned by TAL Manufacturing Solutions( subsidiary of Tata Motors). The robot has been developed for MSME’s in India.
32. An young Champ from Bangalore ,Sagar Baheti(31) has become the first visually impaired Indian runner to complete the historic Boston Marathon. Baheti completed a distance of 42.16 km distance in four hours.
33. Srilanka Day of Vesak was celebrated annually on 12th May. This year PM Modi will inaugurate the celebration.
34. The city of Lucknow is going to host the International day of Yoga June 2017.
35. June 21- Civil services day in India
36. Myntra has acquired logistics start- up In log to smooth its delivery processes.
37. Aniruddhan Vasudevan was choosen for Sahitya Akademi’s award for his book “ one part woman that in recent pass” for translated in English
38. Jackie shroff was choosen for Raj Kapoor Special contribution Award 2017
39. Saira Banu was choosen for the prestigious Raj Kapoor Lifetime achievement Award .
40. The National Green Tribunal has ordered for the immediate closure of industries around the Bellandur Lake in Bangalore.