Prepared by D.Sarala, Viluppuram
1. The Child rights activist and the Noble Peace prize winner (2014) “Kailash Satyarthi “ was honoured with PC Chandra purashkar 2017 for his global crusade against child Slavery and exploitative child labour. He was given a trophy, a citation and a chequer of Rs. 10 lakhs at this award ceremony held at Kolkatta. He is the founder of Bachpan Bachao Andolan.
2. April 23- World Book and Copyright Day . To mark the occasion UNESCO released three books namely Reshaping Cultural policies , Rethinking education in a changing world and Reading in a mobile era. This day is marked to celebrate the memories of Cervantes, William Shakespeare Inca Garcil aso de vega who were died on 1616.
3. April 23- United Nation’s English Language day. This day was celebrated to mark the remembrance of both birth and date of death of Willaim Shakespeare. It was celebrated since April 23, 2010
4. Dadasaheb Phalke award for 2016 was given to K.Viswanath ( Actor and film maker ) by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting. This award was conferred with Swarn Kamal (Golden Lotus), a cash prize of Rs. 10 lakhs and a shawl. Dadasaheb Phalke award was given to celebrate the rememberance of Father of Indian Cinema “Dadasaheb Phalke” since 1969 for outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema.
5. This is the first time in India, that the drones are used to monitor forest fires by the Uttarakhand Forest Department. Uttarakhand has about 71% of the total geographical area under forest cover
6. 1st India –Indonesia forum was held at Jakarta. A MOU was signed between these two countries to establish a co operative institutional frame work to enhance and facilitate bilateral co operation in the field of oil and gas on the basis of equity and mutual benefit.
7. Athens was designated as UNESCO’s World Book Capital 2018
8. Prestigious “Lelte Award “ was given to All India Radio (AIR) station “ AIR Aizwal “
9. Maharashtra became the India’s first state to open “ Village of books” to promote tourism.
10. INS Dharshak ( Indian Navy Ship) has undertaking a hydrographic survey of Weligama Bay along with the Srilankan Navy
11. Google pays tribute to Kannada acting legend Rajkumar through a special doodle to commemorate his 88th birthday.
12. Rafael Nadal wins Monte Carlo Master’s Men’s Singles title which held at Monte Carlo ground at France. With this he became the first man in the Open era to win the same event for 10 times . Earlier, he won 8 Monte Carlo titles from 2005 to 2012. He again won in 2016.
13. Rohan Bopanna and Pablo Cuevas won Monte Carlo Master’s Men’s doubles title
14. Hindi film“ Newton” wins jury prize for Best film at Hong Kong International film festival.
15. India has become world’s fifth-largest military spender spending at $55.9 billion in 2016 according to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri), The US remains the world’s largest military followed by China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia.
16. Social activist Prafulla Samantra was announced one among six winners of the Goldman Environmental Prize ( also called Green Nobel ) for his “historic 12-year legal battle that affirmed the indigenous Dongria Kondh’s land rights and protected the Niyamgiri Hills from a massive, open-pit aluminum ore mine.” This award was instituted since 1990 and it was received earlier by Medha Patkar, M.C. Mehta, Rasheeda Bi, Champaran Shukla and Ramesh Agrawal
17. April 24 – National Panchayat Raj Diwas.It was celebrated every year to mark the passing of Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992, that came into force with effect from 24 April 1993. The 73rd Amendment 1992 added a new Part IX to the constitution titled “The Panchayats” covering provisions from Article 243 to 243(O); and a new Eleventh Schedule covering 29 subjects within the functions of the Panchayats. This is celebrated since 2010.
18. A freight train connecting Russia with China arrived in Ganzhou an inland city in Jiangxi province, carrying goods from Moscow. This freight train is expected to bring resources from Europe and boost local development.The freight train travelled more than 7,000 km, before reaching Ganzhou in eastern China.
19. India has become world’s second largest LPG importer, and China remains at top. India has set an ambitious target of increasing LPG usage to cover 80% of the households by March 2019.
20. Indian Railways planned to launch a special rail service, Utkrisht double – decker AC Yatri
( UDAY) Express in July 2017 which would be less than 3AC in regular trains.
21.The India post on 23rd April 2017 has released a commemorative postage stamp of denomination Rs. 100 on Coffee as a fragrance stamp in Bengaluru. These will be available for sale at Bengaluru GPO, Mysuru, Mangaluru and Belgaum . Union Minister of State Nirmala seetharaman has expressed her happiness over coffee growing extending to non-traditional areas like Araku in Andhra Pradesh, parts of hilly Odisha and other places in North India.