Prepared by D.Sarala, Viluppuram
1. Nita Ambani has been made member of Olympic channel and Olympic education Commission.
2.Belgium has become the first country to open an honorary consulate office in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City), Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
3.The International Road federation (IRF) has named India to be the host of the 18th World Road Meeting (WRM 2017). WRM 2017 will be held on November 13, 2017. The theme of this year’s WRM is ‘Safe Roads and Smart Mobility: The Engines of Economic Growth’. The conference is expected to be attended by over 4,000 delegates across the world.
4.Kaur had become the first Indian woman to qualify for the shot put event at the Rio Olympics. But she managed to finish only 23rd in Rio.Indian Shot putter Manpreet Kaur broke her own 2015 national record at the Asian Grand Prix in Jinhua, China by clinching a gold medal . She is qualified for the World Championships to be held in London in August 2017. With this win she became the World no: 1.
5. The international conference on “Dara Shikoh: Reclaiming Spiritual Legacy of India” will be held on April 27 and 28 in New Delhi. The conference will be organised by the Indian Council Of Cultural Relations (ICCR). Eminent scholars from the US, Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Indi are participating in this conference. It aims to highlight Dara Shikoh’s( eldest son of fifth Mughal emeror Shah Jahan) contributions to bring about spiritual homogenisation of Hinduism and Islam and his initiatives in building a cohesive social and cultural edifice in India.
6. The government has announced the names of ten new Iconic places under the Phase II of Swachh Iconic Places initiative. Swachh Iconic Places (SIP) is an initiative of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation under Swachh Bharat Mission. The ten new iconic places that will be undertaken in Phase II of Swachh Iconic Places initiative are: Gangotri, Yamunotri. Mahakaleshwar Temple (Ujjain), Char Minar (Hyderabad), Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assissi (Goa), Adi Shankaracharya’s abode Kaladi in Ernakulam, Gomateshwar in Shravanbelgola, Baijnath Dham (Devghar), Gaya Tirth (Bihar) and Somnath temple in Gujarat. The Swachh Bharat Mission was launched on 2 October 2014 to make India clean and open defecation free by 2019 to mark Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
7. Joint operational doctrine aimed at providing deeper operational synergies among the tri-services was unveiled by the chairman of the chiefs of staff committee (COSC) and Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba in presence of Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat and IAF Chief B S Dhanoa. The doctrine is aimed at coherently dealing with all possible security threats faced by India such as conventional and proxy wars. This document is the second edition of the joint doctrine. The first edition of the document was released around eight years ago.
8.NASA launches super pressure balloon from Wanaka ,New Zealand which will detect ultra high energy cosmic particles beyond the galaxy as they penetrate the earth’s atmosphere.
9. China launched its first domestically built air craft carrier on 26th April, 2017 , which can transfer the ship from a dry dock into open water in Dalian, the carrier was temporarily named Type 001A. It was China’s second carrier after Liaoning which was made by Soviet Union.It is slightly larger than Liaoning.
10. Jimmy Wales(Founder of Wikipedia) is going to launch a new crowd funded website Wikitribune that aims to curb the spread of false information by providing verified news.
11. Following Indian Vice president’s ( Hamid Ansari’s ) visit to Armenia, three agreements were signed between the two countries to boost co-operation among them.
12. April 26- International; Chernobyl Disaster Rememberance Day, which is marked to commemorate the explosion at Ukraine’s Chernobyl nuclear power plant in 1986. Nearly 8.4 million people were exposed to radiation.
13. April 26 – World Intellectual Property day with the theme : Innovation: Improving lives
14.China has banned its citizens by naming their babies Muhammad, Medina and Quran , mainly targeting the minority muslim group living in the western region of Xinjiang.
15. The White house had named Randolph Alles ( retired military general ) as the new director of Secret Service.
16. Sukma Naxal attack at Chhatisgarh by 300 maoists took away the lives of 25 CRPF Indian Jawans on 24th April 2017which was the largest ambush after 2010.
17. Haryana’s Ballabgarh town in Faridabad was renamed as Balramgarh, it is to be noted that earlier Gurgaon was renamed as Gurugram in the same Haryana state.