Prepared by D.Sarala, Viluppuram
1. May 1 – International Labour Day . It is celebrated top commemorate the happenings of 4th May, 1886 Hay Market Masscare in Chicago.
2. May 2- The Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Diwas was observed in more than 30 locations across India through the support of National Mission on Clean Ganga’s Volunteer Wing , Ganga Vichaar Manch.
3. Hockey India has recommended Sardar Singh’s name for India’s highest Sporting honour Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
4. BCCI recommended Cheteshwar Pujara and Harman Preet Kaur’sname for Arjuna Award. Other names included from other sports are SV singh, Dharamveer Singh and Deepika
5. RP Singh and Sumrai Tete are recommended for Dhayan Chand Award
6. Coaches Sandeep Sangwan and Romesh Pathania are recommended for Dronacharya Award
7. Tamil Nadu Govt has conferred the 2017 Avvaiyar award to Padma Venkataraman by the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu in the field of social work for her efforts in the field of wome’s welfare and rehabilitation of leprosy affected people for the past 30 years.She is the daughter of former Indian President R. Venkataraman
8. Sanjay Pratihar was recently honoured with the 2017 INSA ( Indian National Science Academy) medal for young scientist. This award was instituted in 1974. It is considered to be the highest recognition of promise, creativity and excellence in a young scientist.This award is given to him for his outstanding contributionsto multi metal complexes, theoretical understanding,selective sensing of Hg2+ions and important applications in agriculture.It is going award by December 2017 to 30 young scientists from various fields.
9. Leander Paes and Scott Lipsky won the Men’s doubles title of Tallahassee Challenger 2017. On the other India’s Ramkumar Ramanathan finished up as a runner –up in the Men’s singles. Men’s single was won by Slovenia’s Blaz Rola.
10. Aga Khan foundation has bagged the FCCI – Indian Sanitation Coalition Prize
11. Janalakshmi financial services Ltd , a small Finance bank has finally received its license from RBI
12. Dubai became the first city in world to get its own Microsoft Font. The font is available in three styles as’Dubai’, ‘Dubai Medium’ and ‘Dubai light’
13. Aizawl Foot club becomes first north eastern club to win 2016-17 I-League held at Jawaharlal stadium in Shillong.
14. TKK Krishna Kumar was appointed as India’s Coco-cola President.He will replace current president Venkatesh Kini who served the company for 19 years.
15. The United States (US)Millitary missile defence system THAAD(The Terminal High Altitude Area Defence) on 2nd May 2017 became operational in South Korea. It reached an initial intercept capability to defence against North Korean Missiles.
16. The Department of Telecom (DoT) on 2nd May 2017 have launched’ Tarang Sanchar ‘web portal,. Through this portal, the status of the tower will be available to the Users.
17. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandra Babu Naidu was choosen for USIBC ( US-India Business Council) award for his role in advancing the US-India partnership at the state level. This will be awarded to him on 8th May 2017 at USIBC West Coast Summit in the Silicon Valley.Lat year it was awred to Amitabh Kant , CEO of NITI Aayog.
18. Union government launches one IP –two dispensaries , Aadhaar based Online Claim submission schemes. From now onwards the individuals as well as their family members will be able to get treatment from either of the dispensaries and in case of emergency from any other ESI institution.
19. Anthony Lianzuala became the first person from North –East region to hold the position of Controller General of Account (CGA). He is 1982 batch ICAS officer.
20. The Real estate( Regulation and Development ) act 2016 comes into effect from 1st May 2017. This act will usher in more transparency and accountability in the real estate sector. It aims to protect the home buyers from deceitful developers.
21. 30th April –International Jazz Day . It was observed with an aim to raise awareness in the international community of the virtues of jazz as an education tool and creates an opportunity for mutual understanding and tolerance. This year the host city is Havana, Cuba. It was attended by UNESCO-Director General Irina Bokova and UBNESCO Goodwill ambassador for Intercultural Dialogue Herbie Hancock.
22. Narendra Modi releases 23 volumes of Basavanna’s Vachana. All ther 23 volumes were edited by renowned literary scholar late NM kalbargi and translated by more than 200 people. The Vachana was commissioned by the Bengaluru based Basava samiti at a cost of Rs. 2.5 crore of which the Karnataka Govt has contributed Rs 1 crore.
23. The 44th Day time Emmy awards were announced at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in Pasadena, Los Angeles. General Hospital was declared as the Outstanding drama series while Jeopardy grabbed the Outstanding drama show award.24. Scientists from IIT, Roorkee used naturally occurring pigment from the summer fruit Jamun to create more efficient and inexpensive solar cells.They used the pigment as inexpensive photosentisiser for dye sentisised solar cells or Gratzel cells.