Prepared by D.Sarala
1. The Union cabinet approved an ordinance to amend the Banking Regulation Act for dealing with non performing assets (NPA’s) in the banking system to eliminate the problems of bad loans.
2. The Union Cabinet led by PM Modi approved the declaration of Vijayawada Airport as International Airport as per the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act 2014. An Airport is declared as International Airport depending upon its traffic potential and demand from airline operators for the operation of International flights.
3. A group of archaeologist ( Scientists of Spanish team in Draa Abul Naaga Necropolis)across the Nile discovered the remains of nearly 4000 year old model garden outside a tomb in the Egyptian Capital of Thebes , it is now known as Luxor.
4. Stephen Hawking (Physicist)has warned in a new BBC documentary that human kind would need to leave the earth within next 100 years to survive.
5. The Union cabinet has approved the modifications in the recommendations of 7th Central Pay Commission on pay and Pensionary benefits in the course of their implementation.
6. Odisha’s Sualgiri, Swalgiri communities has been notified as Scheduled Caste and the President of India gave his assent to this law..The Schedule caste categories status will entitle them to get reservations in govt jobs, admission in educational institutions along with other financial benefits.
7. UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific ( ESCAP) has released its annual flagship report titled “ The Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the pacific 2017” said that India is expected to achieve 7.1% economic growth in 2017 as re-monetisation restores consumption and infrastructure funding increases .
8. Union Sports Ministry has announced changes in the National Youth Awards to promote transparency in selection process.. The number of awards has been increased from 1 to 10 in the Organisation category and the cash prize is Rs 2 lakh with a trophy and Certificate. The number of awards in the Individual category has been increased to 25 and the amount has been enhanced to Rs. 50000. A new logo also released for National Youth Awards.
9. The Union cabinet has approved the transfer the” Department of Posts “16.5 cents land and building to Thrissur Municipal Corporation.
10. Indian national football has managed to secure a 100th spot and entered into the top 100 of FIFA rankings. This is the first time in 21 years that India has been ranked into top 100. The rankings were first introduced in 1992.
11. Agni-II ballistic missile from a defence test facility in the Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha has successfully carried out a fresh user trial by India.
12. Indore has been adjudged as the cleanest city in India while Gonda in Uttar Pradesh has been ranked as the dirtiest city among surveyed under Swachh Sarvekshan-2017. The top ten highly ranked cities are: Indore (1st), Bhopal (2nd), Visakhapatnam (3rd), Surat (4th), Mysuru (5th), Tiruchirapally of Tamil Nadu (6th), New Delhi Municipal Council (7th), Navi Mumbai (8th), Tirupati of Andhra Pradesh (9th), Vadodara (10th). Overall, Jharkhand and Chattisgarh have emerged as the best performing states in Swachh Survekshan, 2017. States like Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh have performed well in sanitation rankings.
13. The Registrar of Geographical Indications Registry, Chennai, has accorded GI Tag for the much famed Banganapalle Mango( King of fruits ) of Andhra Pradesh. Henceforth, Andhra Pradesh government will be the registered proprietor of the GI tag for Banganapalle mangoes
14. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for National Steel Policy (NSP) 2017. It aims to enhance domestic steel consumption and transform Indian steel industry into a technologically advanced and globally competitive steel industry. India is the third largest producer of steel globally.
15. Apple has reported over $256 billion in cash and marketable securities. It’ is two-third of India’s Forex reserve.
16. China plans to launch its own online encyclopedia next year rivalling Wikipedia and Britain’s Encyclopaedia Britannica.
17. Fitch, in its latest rating review, has affirmed India’s sovereign rating at BBB-, which is the lowest investment grade rating. According to the rating agency, India’s general government debt burden was 67.9% of GDP whereas the ‘BBB’ median is 40.9%.
18. Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya has flagged off an ambulance service that would cater to the needs of the cows. Under the ‘Gauvansh Chikitsa Mobile Vans’ service, initially, 5 ambulances were flagged off to cover Lucknow, Gorakhpur, Varanasi, Mathura and Allahabad. In addition, a “gau seva toll-free number” has also been released to enable common people to come forward to help the cows. The ambulance service will be run in collaboration with the MNREGA Mazdoor Kalyan Sanghathan.
19. Indian Railways is expected to launch a new 20 coach premier train called the Tejas Express connecting Mumbai and Goa in June. The Tejas service aims to provide comfort to passengers in the inter-city journeys.
20. Indian Railways is set to make use of the radio-frequency identification tags (RFID) for tracking of wagons, coaches and locomotives to ensure the effective and transparent functioning of the system.
21.Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated two roadways exhibition “The Highway Saga and SRISHTI” in New Delhi on 3rd May 2017.