Prepared by D.Sarala
1. To mark the 156th anniversary of Tagore’s birthday(8th May) , a cultural festival is organized by India in Egypt. This is going to be hosted by the Maulana Azad Centre for Indian Culture, the cultural wing of the Indian Embassy in Cairo.
2. Gadkari inaugurated India’s first bio-refinery plant that produces ethanol from a variety of biomass in Pune. This project is located at Rahu,a village in Daund Taluk in Pune, Maharshtra
3. Emmanuel Macron elected as President of France.He is France’s youngest leader since Napoleon Bonaparte. He is also the first President of France outside of that country’s two traditional main parties.
4. Unmanned Boeing- built space plane X-37B landed in Florida( NASA Kennedy Space Centre ) , US after completing its two year long classified space mission.
5. RBI tightened the rule of Joint Lenders Forum (JLF) under “ Framework for revitalizing distressed assets in the economy guidelines on Joint Lenders Forum(JLF) and Corrective Action Plan (CAP) . These new rules are more effective and direct banks to not to break any rules and to meet all the deadlines.
6. The strategic anti-Naxal operations command headquarters of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has been shifted back from Kolkata to Raipur. In 2010, the central zone command headquarters was shifted from Raipur to Kolkata owing to logistics and connectivity issues. The recent decision comes at the backdrop of ambush in Sukma district that killed 37 jawans of the paramilitary force.
7. BCCI has announced that 15 man Indian Squad led by Virat Kohli will take part in ICC Champions Trophy which is scheduled to be held in June 2017 in England.
8. Three Indian Scientists Krishna Chatterjee, Subhash Koht and Yadvinder Malhi were elected as the Fellows of Royal Society of London for their outstanding contributions in science. Krishna from
Cambridge University was recognized for his discoveries of genetic disorders of thyroid gland formation, regulation of hormone synthesis and hormone action . Subhash of New York University
for throwing insight into unresolved problems in the field of computational complexity. Yadvinder from Oxford University is recognized for his works on understanding the functioning of terrestrial ecosystems.
9. Harry Potter Actress , Emma Watson made history by winning the first –ever MTV “genderless award”for best actor for her role as Belle in the movie titled “ Beauty and the Beast “
10. The 29th edition of the Sunday Times Rich List’ released the names of UK’s 1000 wealthiest people including 40 Indian-born citizens. Hinduja Brothers Srichand and Gopichand have topped the list to become the top of 134 billionaires in the country. The Mumbai-born David and Simon Reuben has been placed at the third position. The second place in the list was allotted to the Ukrainian businessman Len Blavatnik. Duke of Westminster, Hugh Grosevenor, The famous steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal has jumped up seven spots in this edition’s list to reach the fourth spot this year
11. Haryana residents would soon have a smart house ID, with a detailed collection of data of every resident and each of their houses directly linked with biometric
12. Two of Indian Navy’s western naval command ships ( INS Mumbai and INS Aditya) visited Egyptian Port City of Alexandria to strengthen the military co-operation between Egypt and India.
13. Bharti Airtel’s Airtel payments bank will be integrated with Ola app to offer convenient digital payments solution to customers for their ride.
14. Japan’s men only Island (Okinoshima Island )was recommended by UNESCO for World Heritage Status .
15. Om Puri ( Indian actor ) was conferred the award for outstanding achievement in Cinema posthumously at the 7th Annual Asian Awards.
16. CM of Madhya Pradesh has announced that all illegal slaughter houses in the state will be closed soon.
17. Kavinder Singh Bisht ( Indian Boxer ) has qualified for the World Championships in the 52 kg category after getting a walk over against Malaysia’s Salam Abdul Kasim at the Asian Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan