1. May 1-15 2017 – Swachhta Pakhwada is observed throughout the country by the Union ministry of Textiles in order to spread the message of cleanliness. Seminar on the scheme “ waste to wealth “ to be organized. Films on “ waste to wealth “ to be made by NIFT students to be organized .
2. Madhya Pradesh became the first state in the country to shift the financial year to January –December from April-March . It would mean shifting the tax assessment year, Changes in infrastructure at the company level. Current financial year is going to conclude by Dec 2107
3. May 3- World Press Freedom Day with the theme 2017 – “ Critical minds for Critical times”: Media’s role in advancing peaceful, just and inclusive societies “
4. 2017 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press freedom prize is awarded to imprisoned Eritrean –Swedish Journalist Dawit Isaak. This award is created in 1997
5. Indian army successfully test fired Brahmos-III supersonic cruise missile from Andaman and Nicobar Island. The land to land configuration of Brahmos block III version was launched from a Mobile Autonomous Launcher (MAL)
6. Famous climber Ueli Steck (40) has passed away due to a tragic accident near Mount Everest . He died after falling the foot of Mt. Nuptse. He was planning to climb 8850 m Mt. Everest before this event to be occurred.
7. Bengaluru FC striker Sunil Chhetri won the Hero of the I-league award 2016-17.Khalid Jamil who guided Aizawl FC to a historic title win was chosen as the Coach of the year.He was honoured with Syed Abdul Rahim Best Coach Award.
8. India slipped to 4th position in ICC T20 rankings . New Zealand ranks top followed by England and Pakistan.
9. May 2- World Asthma Day observed globally with the theme 2017:”Asthama: Better Air, Better Breathing”
10. Mallikarjun Kharge was appointed as the chairman of Public Accounts Committee(PAC)
11. Holly wood film “ The Black Prince” starring Indian Actress Shabana Azmi and singer-poet Satinder Sartaaj was awarded Special Jury Remi Award at Houston International film festival.
12. Reliance Defence and Engineering Limited (RDEL) has received approval for exiting the corporate debt restructuring scheme(CDR). The approval was granted by the consortium of lenders led by IDBI.
13. Indians holding the US visa or green card can now avail arrival visa at Dubai at any point anywhere.
14. Prakash Javadekar, Union minister of HRD has launched “ Vidya Veerta Abhiyan “ in New Delhi.
15. Indian actress Priyanka Chopra will be attending UNICEF gala , a fund raising event in South Africa to support and highlight the challenges faced by children subjected to violence and abuse
16. Industries found dumping e-wastes illegally on the banks of UP’s Ramganga River will have to pay a fine of around Rs 1 lakh according to National Green Tribunal’s (NGT’s) latest ruling.
17. PM Modi inaugurated Patanjali Research Institute in Haridwar on 3rd May 2017
18. Railway bridge taller than Eiffel tower to be built over Chenab river. It is designed to withstand wind speeds of up to 260 km/hr, the bridge will connect Bakkal (Katra) and Kauri ( Srinagar)
19. “ Solve for India”campaign was launched by Google to expand and energize the start up ecosystem in tier –II cities across India.
20. Pop star Britney Spears was honored with 2017 Radio Disney Music Awards with the Ceremony’s first ever icon award.
21. Maharashtra became the first state to use automated weather stations. This facility will be very helpful to the farmers of state about weather forecasting.
22. PM Modi launched commemorative stamp on 1000th birth anniversary of Ramanujacharya.
23. India’s second tallest flag has been inaugurated at Kolhapur. The pole which is 303 feet high has been constructed in the Police training academy garden as a part of the Kolhapur beautification project. The poll is 90 metres tall and 60 metres wide and weighs 24 tonne. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis inaugurated the pole by unfurling a national flag of 5400sq ft as a part of the ‘Maharashtra Din’ celebrations in the state.