1. In a span of 137 years when modern record-keeping of average global temperatures had commenced , May 2017 was the second hottest month according to NASA, The temperature of May 2017 was 0.88 degrees Celsius warmer than the mean May temperature from 1951-1980. May 2016 is the hottest on record with 0.93 degrees Celsius warmer than the May mean temperature.
2. India’s CAD ( Current account Deficit) for the last fiscal narrowed down to 0.7% ($112.4 billion )of the GDP from that of 1.1% ($130.1 billion )in 2015-16 due to contraction in the trade deficit according to Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Further, the net FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) inflows in 2016-17 also got narrowed to $35.6 billion from $36 billion during 2015-16.
3. Former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, who is hailed as the father of German unification has passed away. He was responsible for unifying Germany after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall
4. As a step towards fighting black money stashed abroad, ‘Joint Declaration‘ for implementation of Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI) was signed between India and Switzerland on November 2016 under the guidance of G20, OECD and other global organisations.Switzerland has ratified automatic exchange of financial account information with India and 40 other countries. This will facilitate Switzerland to share information about suspected black money with India and other 40 nations.
5. The World’s largest festival of light, music and ideas, Vivid Sydney has entered into Guinness World Book of Records. It is an annual outdoor lighting festival held in Sydney city of Australia. The Guinness World Record have given the Vivid Sydney installation Dreamscape the title for the ‘Largest interactive lighting display’. Vivid Sydney installation Dreamscape has been made up of 124,128 lights and links the entire Circular Quay precinct beginning from the Sydney Opera House to the Sydney Harbour Bridge into one cohesive canvas of light.
6. A three-week orientation programme for NRI and PIO youth between the age group of 18 to 30 years “ Know India Programme (KIP)” with a view to provide them with an exposure to the country of their origin so that they can understand India better and more closely has been inaugurated by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and also launched a portal for the Know India Programme (KIP). The government has also announced the openings of 149 new post office passport seva kendras in the country (POPSK so that a person need not travel more than 50 kilometeres to get his/her passport. POPSKs is an initiative undertaken jointly by the MEA and the Department of Post.
7. Kochi Metro which will be Kerala’s first metro line and India’s first integrated multi-mode transport system was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi . The first phase of the metro with 13.2 km out of the total 25 km stretch was inaugurated . The Kochi Metro will be the country’s eighth inter-city metro rail project. Kochi Metro is the first public transport system that has reserved jobs for the transgenders The first phase of the metro with 11 stations covering 13km is the longest first phase of a metro to be inaugurated. The Kochi Metro is the county’s first fully integrated metro. The Kochi Metro is the first in the country to use Communication Based Train Control technology for maximising train frequencies and minimising errors.
8. India and Afghanistan are set to operationalize their first air-freight corridor in the coming days. The first flight will be operated by Ariana Afghan Airlines, which is the Afghanistan’s national carrier. The flight which will initially operate once or twice in a month will carry commodities to and from Delhi. Depending upon the supply needs, the frequency of the flight will be increased.
9. June 17 -The World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed every year to promote public awareness to combat desertification with the theme of 2017 “Our Land. Our Home. Our Future“.
10. Mission officials for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) have announced the initial science targets for the James Webb Space Telescope. JWST, being the most powerful telescope designed and built on Earth is scheduled to be launched in October 2018 on an Ariane 5 rocket from French Guiana. As a part of the initial observations, 2100 observations has been planned for the JWST by the mission handlers. JWST is 100 times powerful than the Hubble Space Telescope and will be the largest telescope ever sent into space.
11. India’s Kidambi Srikanth had won the Indonesia Open Super Series badminton title at Jakarta by defeating Japan’s Kazumasa Sakai. It is Srikanth’s third Super Series title after 2014 China Open and 2015 India Open.
12. June 19 – International Day for the elimination of sexual violence in conflicts was observed every year globally with the theme of 2017 “ Preventing sexual violence crimes through Justice and Deterence
13. Australia has announced the opening of online visitor visa applications for Indian Nationals.
14. Mangalyaan , the interplanetary Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) has completed its 1000 Earth days in its orbit on 19th june 2017. The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) was launched into space on November 5, 2013, from Satish Dhawan Space Centre using a Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) rocket C25 . The MOM has at present completed 388 orbits of Mars and has sent 715 images back to earth.
India has plans to send Mangalyaan 2.0 and a new mission to Venus after 2020.
15. Hasan Ali was declared as the Player of the series of ICC Champions Trophy2017
16. Regional Silk research and Production centre is going to set up at Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
17. The Chief Minister of Telangana has announced that the state will be shielding 12% reservation for poor Muslim communities even in highest offices of the Central Governmnet.
18. Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind has been chosen by the National Democratic Alliance as its Presidential Candidate.
19. The mini-ecosystems comprising of potato seeds and silkworm eggs would be sent to the moon by Chang’e 4 which is scheduled to be launched in 2018 by China.
The main objective behind this mission is to prepare for future moon landings and possible human inhabitants. China is preparing for a planned mission to the Moon.
20. The GST Council headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley have decided to set up a five-member anti-profiteering authority to decide on levying the penalty if businesses do not pass on the benefit of price reduction to consumers under GST regime. The GST Council has also approved the anti-profiteering rules. The anti-profiteering committee would be headed by a retired secretary-level officer.
21. The Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga”.has been developed by Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Science & Technology on the occasion of International Yoga Day 2017(June 21)has been launched by Minister for Science & Technology Dr. Harshvardhan. The aim of the app is to popularise Yoga and encourage people to practice yoga for a scientifically healthy living.
22.India has been ranked 75th out of 102 countries in a list that ranks the countries in terms of the human impact on environment per person. The ranking has been done by MoneySuperMarket, a UK-based financial services website. Top 10 Performers: Mozambique (1st), Ethiopia (2nd), Zambia (3rd), Latvia (4th), Kenya (5th), Albania (6th), Ghana (7th), Tajikistan (8th), Nepal (9th), Colombia (10th). Worst Performers: Trinidad and Tobago (102nd), United States (101st), Sri Lanka (100th), Ireland (99th), Canada (98th), China (97th), Australia (96th), South Africa (95th), Cyprus (94th), Malaysia (93rd). Mozambique has topped the list as it derives almost all of its energy from green sources. The ranking has been made based on the impact the citizens have on the environment by taking into account energy consumption, air pollution, waste production, reliance on non-renewable energy, the carbon dioxide emissions per capita, wastewater treatment capacity, municipal solid waste generated and tree cover loss etc. Of all the parameters, the most weight has been given to Carbon dioxide emissions, municipal solid waste and energy consumption.