1. Ashwani Lohani was appointed as the Chairman of Railway Board. Mittal’s resignation came hours after Delhi-bound Kaifiat Express got derailed in UP’s Auraiya district early on 23rd Aug 2017
2. The Union Government has given a directive to print the new 200 rs note . According to Finance Ministry, Arun Jaitley , RBI will be deciding the date for issuing of the new currency notes.
3. Jat community of Dholpur and Bharatpur districts of Rajasthan were brought under OBC category
4. The United States has announced plans to install radar system in Palau, an independent nation south west of Guam , the Us territory the North Korea has threatened to target with its intercontinental Ballistic Missiles.
5. England striker Wayne Rooney retires from International Foot ball , ending a 14 year career. He is former England captain. With this, Rooney also leaves as England’s most –capped outfield player with 119 apperances.
6. Union Government names Rajiv Bansal as CMD of Air India, since Lohani was appointed as chairman of Railway Board.
7. The Union Government has finalized a new policy for cadre allocation of IAS, IPS, and other officers with the aim of ensuring national integration in the country’s top bureaucracy.
8. Odisha Government has launched a grid-connected rooftop solar programme , which aims at harnessing renewable solar capacity through people’s participation to further strengthen the grid and reduce power losses and benefit the public. It will also help state to targets in addressing the climate change action plan through net-metering system at the State Secretariat in capital city of Bhubaneswar.
9. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved renaming of SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) as Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY). The SAMPADA scheme was approved by the CCEA in May 2017 for the period of 2016-20 coterminous with the 14th Finance Commission cycle. The objective ofthe scheme is to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease agricultural-waste.
10. Karnataka Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with software giant Microsoft India to develop a unique “farm price forecasting model. It will aid farmers from states to predict farm prices in advance and deal effectively with the unpredictable market. The proposed initiative is claimed to be the first-of-its-kind in the country.
11. India and Nepal have signed 8 MoUs in various fields, including Housing grant, prevention of drugs, post-earthquake reconstruction packages in health and education sectors. The two leaders also jointly inaugurated the Kataiya-Kusaha and Raxaul-Parwanipur cross border Transmission lines.
12. The nine-judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice of India JS Khehar in a landmark unanimous decision has declared right to privacy a fundamental right under the constitution. The apex court ruled that right to privacy is an intrinsic part of Right to Life and Personal Liberty under Article 21 and entire Part III of the Constitution. With this, the apex court overruled its own previous eight-judge Bench and six-judge Bench judgments of M.P. Sharma and Kharak Singh delivered in 1954 and 1961, respectively, both of which had pronounced that the right to privacy is not protected under the constitution.
13. Australia beats Iran to clinch 2017 FIBA Asia Cup. FIBA Asia Cup is an International Basketball Tournament. On the other hand South Korea clinched third place over New Zealand.
14. The Union government raised the creamy layer ceiling of OBC’s to Rs. 8 lakhs per annum from the existing Rs 6 lakhs for central government jobs. It sets up a committee to examine sub categorization within OBC’s
15. Nepal launched its first climate snow- leopard landscape management plan. The plan aims to safeguard the endangered species of snow leopard and its habitat . This is the first climate smart landscape management plan for snow- leopard conservation in the World.
16. The Union Cabinet gave its approval for a pact between India and Nepal on resolving the issue of illicit trafficking in narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.