1. The Union Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers has constituted a committee of joint secretaries to review the scope of Drugs (Price Control) Order 2013 (DPCO 2013) and suggest ways for strengthening the regulatory provisions of the order. The committee will suggest ways to make pricing policy in favour of poor patients.
2. The 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement was observed across the country on August 8, 2017. The theme of 2017 was “Sankalp se Siddhi- the attainment through resolve”. It was a civil disobedience movement launched at the Bombay session of the All-India Congress Committee (AICC) by Mahatma Gandhi on 8 August 1942 demanding an end to British Rule of India. PM Modi also had termed the month of August as a month of revolution as the non-cooperation movement was launched on August 1, 1920, Quit-India movement on August 9, 1942 and on August 15, 1947 India became independent. He also launched the mega campaign Sankalp Se Siddhi through his Mann Ki Baat programme . The campaign pledges to build new India by 2022.
3. Face book launched a You Tube competitor called “Watch “. Watch is a platform fopr all creators and publishers to find an audience, build a community of passionate fans and earn money for their work.
4. Indian American Dilip Chauhan appointed as Deputy Controller of minority affairs in New York.
5. Two massive earthquakes have rocked China with a magnitude 7 on Richter scale. The first struck in the South Western Sichuan province and the second struck in the northwestern Xinjiang province close to the Kazakhstan border.
6. The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry has started the process of shutting down Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (DGS&D), over 100-year-old government procurement arm, in this fiscal year. Now the public procurement of goods and services will be managed by the Government’s e-market platform (GeM).
7. The NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog has announced partnership with three states each to radically transform their Health and Education sectors under its Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital (SATH) initiative. The shortlisted states for transforming their health sector are Uttar Pradesh, Assam and Karnataka. Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Odisha were selected for transforming their education sector.
8. The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Google India have launched Android Skill Development programme which aims to impart mobile development training on the android OS and web platform and also improve the quality of mobile app development ecosystem in India
9. The Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has released Swachh Survekshan Gramin 2017. The survey was undertaken by the Quality Council of India (QCI) between May and June 2017 to take into account status of rural sanitation in all States and UTs. The survey covered 4626 villages across all States and Union territories. Top performing states: Northeastern States of Sikkim, Nagaland and Manipur with 95% rural households covered by toilets were top performers. Himalayan States of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand were also top performers with over 90% toilet coverage of the rural houses. Performance of Big States: Almost all rural households in Kerala and Haryana have access to a toilet. In, Gujarat 85% of rural households have access toilets. Tamil Nadu has 79% rural households access to a toilet. Worst performing States: Bihar (30% coverage) and Uttar Pradesh (37%), Jharkhand (37%) were among the worst performers in terms of rural sanitation.
10. India was ranked at the last position of 43rd in the 2017 Global Retirement Index (GRI) published by French asset Management company Natixis Global on the basis of four factors Material Well -being, Finances, Health, Quality of Life. Topped by Norway, followed by Switzerland and Iceland.
11. Slumdog Millionarie actor Dev Patel was honoured with Asian Game Changer Award 2017 by the Asia Society for making a transformative and positive difference for the future of Asia and world. Aga Khan was awarded with Asian Game Changer Lifetime achievement Award
12. The Union Ministry of Shipping is planning to expand Logistics Data Bank (LDB) project to the country’s southern region. Its first port in India to provide this service was launched at the Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT), Mumbai in July 2016. Later its operations were expanded to the container terminals at Adani Port Special Economic Zone (APSEZ), Mundra and Adani Hazira Port — both in Gujarat. So far, it had covered only the western logistics corridor.
13. Qatar has become the most open country by allowing citizens belonging to 80 countries including India, Canada, US and UK to enter the nation without the need of applying for a visa.
14. NCERT launched a web portal that will enable schools and individuals to place orders for their books online. The web portal can be accessed at www.ncertbooks.ncert.gov.in
15. India became the 80th country to accept the amendment relating to the second commitment period (2013- 2020) of the Kyoto Protocol that commits countries to contain the emission of greenhouse gases (GHGs). In this regard, India deposited its Instrument of Acceptance of the Doha Amendment to the Kyoto Protocol.
16. The Uttar Pradesh Government has launched Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra, an awareness drive along banks of Ganga River to maintain cleanliness.
17. The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) has announced that the first phase of National Cyber Coordination Centre (NCCC) has become operational. It scans the cyberspace in the country for cyber security threats at metadata level to generate situational awareness.
18. Hyperspectral Imaging Satellite (HySIS)( full-fledged niche Earth observation (EO) satellite) was indigenously developed by ISRO. Its launch will allow ISRO to enter the domain of operational hyperspectral imaging from earth orbit. The HySIS satellite has critical chip called an “optical imaging detector array’”. Hyspex’ imaging enables distinct identification of objects, materials or processes on Earth by reading the spectrum for each pixel of a scene from space.
19. Nepal’s Parliament on 9th August 2017, unanimously passed a law that criminalizes an ancient practice called Chhaupadi, a Hindu Custom linked to menstruating women that banishes women from home. The new law stipulates a three month jail or a 3000 Nepali rupee fine or both.
20. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has imposed an interim ban on the use of non-biodegradable plastic bags that are less than 50 microns in the National Capital Delhi .