1. INDRA 2017 -India’s first bilateral military exercise with any country involving all three services will be conducting in October2017 in Russia. India and Russia have begun their discussions to work out modalities for the exercise. The Final Planning Conference (FPC) of exercise will be held from September 2017 in Russia to finalise all logistical issues and modalities. The aim of exercise is to carry out joint exercises for suppression of international terrorist activities under United Nations mandate. It will primarily focus on achieving coordination between forces of two countries in tri- services integrated theatre command scenario.
2. With an aim to harness natural resources from Northeast Asia and Western Pacific region-India is planning to launch major connectivity initiative, connecting Chennai with key Russian port Vladivostok via sea route. It will enable to transfer cargo between Chennai and Vladivostok in 24 days in comparison to over 40 days currently taken to transport goods from India to Far East Russia via Europe.
3. Global Human Capital Index (GHCI) 2017-India ranked low 103rd out of 130 countries surveyed on World Economic Forum’s (WEF). India ranked 105th in the previous edition. India ranks lower because of number of factors. It ranks lowest (last) in world when it comes to employment gender gap. It also ranks low 110th in educational attainment (primary education attainment among 25 -54 year olds) and low deployment of its human capital. Top 10 countries: Norway (1st), Finland (2nd), Switzerland (3rd), United States (4th), Denmark (5th), Germany (6th), New Zealand (7th), Sweden (8th), Slovenia (9th) and Austria (10th).
4. The Ministry of External Affairs has started “Operation Insaniyat” to provided assistance to Bangladesh in response to humanitarian crisis being faced by it due to large influx of Rohingya refugees from Myanmar. Under this operation, India will provide relief material consisting of items including rice, sugar, salt, pulses, cooking oil, biscuits and mosquito nets to the affected people.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe have signed 15 agreements for enhancing bilateral cooperation between India and Japan in several key areas including investment promotion, civil aviation, and science and technology after 12th annual summit talks in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe was jointly laid the foundation stone of India’s first high-speed rail project (bullet train) project at Sabarmati Station ground in Ahmedabad. Mumbai to Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR) Project is joint venture between Indian Railways and Japan’s Shinkansen Technology. The train will cover distance of over 508 km from Sabarmati (Gujarat) to Bandra (Mumbai, Maharashtra) in around 2.58 hours at high speed of 320 kph from the existing 7-8 hours. In case of rapid high-speed, it will cover the distance in 2.07 hours. It will be built at cost of Rs 1.10 lakh crore. It is expected to be completed by 2022 . As per agreement between India and Japan, MAHSR Project has “twin, complementary objectives viz. localised manufacture and transfer of technology. Of the total project cost of Rs.1,10,000-crore, 80% cost of Rs 88,000 crore will be provided by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) as soft loan at interest of 0.1% per annum. This loan will be repaid to Japan in 50 years, with 15 years grace period.
7. 14th September –Hindi Diwas was celebrated every year in India.
8. The Union Govt has decided to release commemorative coins of Rs 100 and Rs 5 denomination in honour of M.G.Ramachandran ( Former CM of Tamil Nadu) by engraving the year 1917-2017.
9. The Govt of India has notified issuance of Commemorative coins of Rs 100 and Rs 10 denomination to honour Carnatic Vocalist Dr MS Subbulakshmi by engraving the year 1916 to celebrate the eve of her birthday.
10. Gateway Awards 2017 –Jawaharlal Nehru Port Container Terminal (JNPCT) was awarded with “ Container Terminal of the Year “ in New Delhi for its proactive strategies to ease congestion, smooth delivery of containers and revamping of infrastructure to support trade amidst adverse conditions.
11. Constitutional law expert Pavani Parameswara Rao has passed away recently.
12. Sep12 – International day for South-South Co-operation was observed by UN. It is a broad frame work of collaboration among countries of the south in political, economical , social, cultural, environmental and technical domains. This year the Global South-South Development Expo 2017 will be hosted by Turkey and will take place in Antalya from 27 to 30 Nov 2017.The Theme of this expo will be ‘South-South Co-operation in the Era of Economical, Social and Environmental Transformation : Road to the 40th Anniversary of the Adoption of Buenos Aires Plan of action (BAPA+40)
13. The International Balzan Foundation have announced the winners of the Balzan Prize 2017.Indian Economist Bina Agarwal was recognized for her work on Women’s contribution to agriculture in India.
14. Prakash Padukone , the renowned Indian Badminton Legend and the only Indian male to be ranked as the world no: 1 in Badminton was selected for the first life time achievement award by Badminton Association of India (BAI)
15. Indian Railways permitted passengers to show m-Aadhaar , digital version of Aadhaar card, as proof of identity in any reserved class. The m-Aadhaar is a mobile app launched by UIDAI.
16. Gay Rights activist Edith Windsor passed away.
17. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has appointed Peter Thomson , the outgoing President as the first special envoy for the oceans.
18. India to set up co-operation with Egypt in Textile sector, it was announced by India’s Ambassador to Egypt , Sanjay Bhattacharya.
19. Goa to host 36th National Games in November 2017
20. NITI Aayog’s Vice Chairman resigns from his post of independent director in the board of Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Ltd.21.Zoological Survey of India released first compendium of animal diversity in Sundarbans.