1. To avail benefits of Northeast Venture Fund (NVF) in a bid to make Northeast India favorite destination for young Startups, the Ministry of Development of Northeast has invited start-ups from all over country. It aims to remove constraints faced by youngster when he sets out to be on his own by providing financial relief.
2. Senior IPS officer Rajni Kant Mishra was appointed as new Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). He will succeed Archana Ramasundaram. SSB was established in 1963 following Sino-Indian War. It was formerly known as Special Service Bureau.
3. On the occasion of 101st Birth Centenary of noted Carnatic musician Dr. MS Subbulakshmi, commemorative coins of Rs 100 and Rs 10 denomination were released by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu.
4. On occasion of World Food Day (October 16), India’s ambitious ‘Zero Hunger Programme’ through interventions in farm sector will be launched by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in association with Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), MS Swaminathan Research Foundation and Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) with focus on agriculture, nutrition and health in a symbiotic manner. The Programme initially will be launched in three districts – Gorakhpur (Uttar Pradesh), Koraput (Odisha) and Thane (Maharashtra). These three districts will act as model of integrated approach to deal with hunger and malnutrition by adopting suitable agricultural or horticultural practices. This dedicated farm-based programme is in sync with India’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end hunger by 2030. It will be in addition government’s plan to deal with issue of malnutrition through various other initiatives under its goal to make India malnutrition free by 2022.
5. To empower government to confiscate property of economic offenders and defaulters who flee India, the Union Law ministry has approved Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2017. The proposed bill will be applicable in cases where the value of offences is over Rs 100 crore.
6. Former Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has nominated for Padma Bhushan by BCCI. He is only cricketer nominated by BCCI for this year’s Padma Awards.
7. Indian American astrophysicist who was awarded the 1983 Nobel Prize for Physics Subramaniyan Chandrasekhar in 1946 had first predicted that some stars could be emitting polarised light from their edges. After 70 years ,Scientists for first time have observed Optical polarisation phenomenon (polarised light emitted by rapidly rotating stars). The phenomenon was observed using High Precision Polarimetric Instrument (HIPPI), world’s most sensitive astronomical polarimeter to detect polarised light from Regulus, one of brightest stars in night sky about 79 light years away.
8. First BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise- 2017 (DMEx-2017) from October 10-13, 2017 is going to conduct by India. The purpose of the exercise is to provide platform for sharing Best Practices on all aspects of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), strengthening regional response and coordination for Disaster Management among BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) member countries. Delegates from all seven nations of BIMSTEC grouping, including India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand are participating in BIMSTEC DMEx-2017. It will be conducted by National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as the lead agency in the National Capital Region (NCR).
9. For the 11th consecutive time, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust has won the “Rajbasha kirti award” for its excellent implementation of the official language in the category of ’B’ region for autonomous bodies and boards.
10. Bollywood Actor Akshay Kumar was appointed as the Brand ambassador of the Swachh Bharat Mission in Uttarakhand.
11. Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath took oath as the Member of the State Legislative Council to meet the mandatory 6 month dead line to get elected to either house of the state after assuming office.
12. America had issued 4 no’s of UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters to Afghanistan to replace the existing MI 70 helicopters of Russia.
13. H1-B Visa issue was solved by USA. Its ban was removed .
14. Dominican island was very badly hit by “Hurricane Maria “
15. India’s joint ambassador to England Bharat Joshi in Chennai have announced that those who are going to study post graduate courses in England will be sponsored full scholarship. “Chevening” is an education program initiated by 1983.Under this program this scholarship will be provided. It can be availed through the website www.chevening.org/india.
16. 28th Southern Region Junior Athletic championship which is held at Trivandrum, Kerala. In Girls U-16 100 m running , Tamil Nadu’s Thabitha had won gold. She also bagged gold for long jump in the first day event.
17. 5th Indoor Asian games Athletic Championship is going at Turkmenistan. India’s Lakshmanan from Tamil Nadu had bagged gold in 3000m running . Chitra from Tamil Nadu also won gold for 1500 m running.
18. Japan Open Badminton Super series is started at Tokyo .India’s PV sindhu ,Saina Nehwal , Sourabh varma, Srikanth, Sai Praneeth, Pranoy, Sameer Varma are going to participate in this event.