1. Joao Lourenco was sworn in as the President of Angola recently.
2. Kandla Port Trust was renamed as Deendayal Port Trust by the Union Ministry of Shipping .The name was changed as part of yearlong centenary celebrations of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay, who had stood for uplift of poor and weaker sections of society by exercising powers conferred on it under Indian Ports Act, 1908. Kandla Port is one of twelve major ports in country. It is situated on Gulf of Kutch in Gujarat. It is the largest port of India in terms of volume of cargo handled (around 100 million tons freight).
3. King Salman of Saudi has recently issued a decree allowing women to drive in his country. The decree ordered the formation of ministerial body to give advice within 30 days and then implement the order by 24 June 2018.
4. The Union Government has approved 221 rural road projects and bridges for the state of Himachal Pradesh.
5. Sep 27 - World Tourism Day with the theme of 2017 is ‘sustainable tourism – a tool for development’. It is dedicated for exploring contribution of tourism to Sustainable Development Goals. It aims to foster awareness among international community of importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
6. A MoU signed between India and Afghanistan on Technical Cooperation on Police Training and Development was approved by the Union Cabinet. The MoU has been approved for period of five years from date of signing. It will help in capacity building of Afghanistan National Police and improving security apparatus in region. It can be extended for further period of 5 years on condition that are not further changes and or revision.
7. Global Competitiveness Index (GCI) 2017-18:
India has slipped by one position compared to 39th spot in 2016 GCI. India was placed at 40th spot among 137 countries in World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Competitiveness Index (GCI) 2017-18. Top 5 Countries: Switzerland (1st), United States (2nd), Singapore (3rd), Netherlands (4th) and Germany (5th). BRICS Countries: China (27th), Russia (38th), India (40th), South Africa (61st) and Brazil (80th).
8. Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT) between India and Belarus which was signed and ratified on Investments was approved by the Union Cabinet. The signing and ratification of BIT will work as strategic initiative for India as Belarus is member of Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU). The BIT will increase investment flows between two countries. It is also expected to improve the confidence of investors resulting in increase in FDI and Overseas Director Investment (ODI) opportunities. It will also have positive impact on employment generation. The Cabinet also approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Belarus in oil and gas sector.
9. Interbank Local Currency Credit Line Agreement and Cooperation Memorandum relating to Credit Ratings was signed by Exim Bank with member banks under BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism was approved by the Cabinet. These agreements were highlighted in BRICS Leaders Xiamen Declaration adopted in Xiamen, China in September 2017.
10. The Cabinet Committee of Security (CCS) has approved implementation of umbrella scheme of Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF) for years 2017 to 2020 to strengthen country’s law and order mechanism, modernize police forces and effectively fight against terrorism.
11. The Union Cabinet has approved proposal for revision of policy of Ministry of Defence for providing Defence land to Communication Operators for construction of Shared Communication Towers and allied Infrastructure. This move will help to improve the quality of communication services in the Cantonments and Military Stations and help address mobile call drop issues in these localities.
12. The Union government has launched electronic Negotiable Warehouse Receipt System (e-NWRs). The e-NWRs would be immune from any tempering , mutilation, fudging, lose or damage with no possibility of any multiple financing.
13. The President of India , Ramnath Kovind, presented the National tourism award 2015-16 to various segments of travel, tourism, and hospitality industry at a function organized by the Ministry of Tourism on the World tourism Day at New Delhi on 27th Sep 2017.
Gujarat Tourism won the Hall of Fame award for being the Best State in Comprehensive Development of Tourism category .Madhya Pradesh tourism won the Hall of Fame award for being the Best State in Comprehensive Development of Tourism category .It also won the Best film Promotion Friendly State. MP also won the award “ Best State for Adventure Tourism “.Government of Telangana won the Swachchta award. Best Heritage City Joint winners – Warangal, Telangana, Chanderi ,Madhya Pradesh. Tourist Friendly Railway station – Ujjain Railway Station, Madhya Pradesh.
14. Rural areas in Nargund taluk of Karnataka was declared Open Defecation free (ODF ) by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu while inaugurating Swachhta Hi seva programme.
15. The state government of Andhra Pradesh has declared the year 2017 as e-pragati year
16. The National Human Rights Commission has sought an action against unidentified persons for child rights violation in Tamil Nadu.
17. The High Court of Punjab has issued notice to the state government of Punjab over abolition of agricultural pump set subsidy to rich farmers.18. DRUZBA 2017, the joint military exercise had begun recently between Pakistan and Russia.