1. “Sahara Forest Project” - to turn desert land into farming land to produce food using sun and sea water has launched by Jordan, a water-poor country that is 90% desert, near the southern port city of Aqaba. It is funded by Norway and European Union.
2. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully twice flight tested indigenously developed 3rd generation Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) Nag in Rajasthan. The ATMG Nag missile is one of five missile systems developed indigenously by DRDO under integrated guided missile development programme (IGMDP). The Nag missile is third generation anti-tank guided missile which works on “fire and forget” principle. It has been equipped with highly advanced Imaging Infrared Radar (IRR) seeker along with integrated avionics. The missile has been designed mainly to destroy modern main battle tanks and other heavily armoured targets. It can be launched from land and air-based platforms. It has operational range of 500m to 4km (Land version) and 7-10km (when air-launched). The helicopter launched version known of NAG missile is known as NAG (HELINA) can be fired from Dhruv advanced light helicopter (ALH) and HAL Rudra attack helicopter. The land-based version of missile is at present available for integration on the Nag missile carrier (NAMICA). The other four missiles developed under this programme include Agni, Akash, Trishul and Prithvi.
3. World no.1 Rafael Nadal (Spain) won the 2017 US Open title in men’s single category by defeating Kevin Anderson (South Africa) at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City. It was his overall 16th Grand Slam title and third US Open title. Men’s doubles: Jean-Julien Rojer (Netherlands) and Horia Tecau (Romania) pair won the title by defeating Spanish pair of Feliciano López and Marc López. Women’s singles: Sloane Stephens (US) won the title by defeating Madison Keys. Women’s doubles: Chan Yung-jan (Chinese Taipei) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) pair defeating Lucie Hradecká and Kateřina Siniaková from Czech Republic. Mixed doubles: Martina Hingis (Switzerland) and Jamie Murray (United Kingdom) pair defeated Chan Hao-ching (Chinese Taipei) and Michael Venus (New Zealand). The 2017 US Open was 137th edition of tennis’ US Open and the fourth and final Grand Slam event of 2017 season.
4. Contact@DGFT, an online service facility for effective resolution of foreign trade-related issues of importers and exporters has set up by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industries. The DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade) is nodal agency responsible for execution of import and export Policies of India.
5. The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named two mountain ranges on icy dwarf planet Pluto as Tenzing Montes and Hillary Montes after Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary. These two names were among 14 other names officially approved for naming 14 geographical features on icy dwarf planet by Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature of IAU, the internationally recognised authority for naming celestial bodies and their surface features. Indian/Nepali Sherpa Tenzing Norgay (1914-1986) and New Zealand Edmund Hillary (1919-2008) were the first mountaineer to reach the summit of Mount Everest and return safely in 1953.
6. To monitor high value transactions and detect tax evaders using technology with a view to curbing circulation of black money,the Union Finance Ministry is planning to launch ‘Project Insight’ from October 2017. To implement the project government has signed contract with Information Technogolgy major L&T Infotect Ltd. The linking of PAN (Permanent Account Number) with Aadhaar will be key identifier to be used by IT Department to link and analyse various transactions relating to tax payers.
7. “Navika Sagar Parikrama”, India’s first all-women crew circumnavigation expedition was flagged off by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in Goa. The crew belongs to Indian Navy and is sailing Indian Naval Sailing Vessel Tarini (INSV Tarini). It will circumnavigate globe in approximately 165 days and is expected to return to Goa in April 2018. It has been named Navika Sagar Parikrama in consonance with National policy to empower women to attain their full potential. The six crew members were Lt Cdr Vartika Joshi and Lt Payal Gupta from Uttarakhand, Lt Cdr P Swathi (Andhra Pradesh), Lt Cdr Pratibha Jamwal (Himachal Pradesh), Lt Aishwarya Boddapati (Telangana) and Lt Shourgrakpam Vijaya Devi (Manipur). The expedition will be covered in five legs, with stop-overs at 4 ports viz. Fremantle (Australia), Lyttleton (New Zealand), Port Stanley (Falklands) and Cape Town (South Africa) for replenishment of ration and repairs as necessary.
8. Union Water Resources Minister Nitin Gadkari said that Union Government will provide up to Rs.6000 crore to Maharashtra in next two years for river-linking and irrigation projects to tackle the recurring water crisis. These projects are Damanganga-Godavari, Damanganga-Vaitarna-Godavari, Par-Godavari and Nar-Par-Girna rivers.
9. To provide support and counseling to Indians in distress, India on 10th Sep, 2017 opened the 2nd Indian Workers Resource Centre (IWRC) in Sharjah, UAE. It was inaugurated by Indian ambassador in UAE Navdeep Singh Suri. IWRC will help the overseas Indian Community on legal, personal and financial matters, free of cost. The first IWRC was opened in Dubai in 2010.
10. The Assam Government decided to provide skill development training to 30000 surrendered militants under the Prime Minister Kaushal Vikash Yojna.
11. Tahir Mahmood was awarded with NR Madhava Menon Best Law Teacher Award . The awards are bestowed every year to honour the most deserved law teachers and institutions in India and across the SAARC region.
12. The All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) will be forming a committee comprising experts to review the recent Supreme Court Verdict on triple talaq and also to look into the method and process for undertaking large scale community reform program within the Islamic Sharia.
13. India’s Most Fearless : True stories of modern Military Heroes authored by Shiv Aroor and Rahul Singh
14. September 9 – Himalaya Diwas was celebrated every year in the state of Uttarakhand.
15. Mobile wallet app ‘Speedpay’ is a joint initiative of Punjab National Bank and BSNL.
16. Kochi will be hosting the BWF World Senior Badminton Championship 2017.