1. Five banks of BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism( Brazilian Development Bank, Russia’s Vnesheconombank, Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM), China Development Bank and Development Bank of South Africa) have agreed to establish local currency credit lines and develop cooperation on credit ratings. In this regard, they have signed agreement ahead of 9th BRICS summit to be held in Xiamen, China.
2. Breakthrough Listen project has detected 15 fast radio bursts (FRBs) coming from a dwarf galaxy about 3 million light years away from earth which was made with help of Green Bank Telescope (GBT) in West Virginia. The first known radio burst from FRB 121102 was detected on November 2, 2012 . Two more bursts were detected in May 2015 and eight more in June 2015.
3. Nirmala Sitharaman became first full time woman Defence Minister of India after she was promoted to the Union Cabinet. She is the second woman to become Defence Minister of India. First was former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, who was holding additional portfolio as Defence Minister from 1980-82.
4. The IGCAR nuclear scientist, U Kamachi Mudali was recently appointed as the Chief Executive of the Heavy Water Board.
5. The Scimago Institutions ranking World Report 2017 ranked CSIR as 9th amongst a total of 1207 government institutions. Chinese Academy of Sciences topped the ranking.
6. Sunil Arora was appointed as the new election commissioner of India for a tenure of 4 years. His appointment comes to fill the vacancy created by former CEC Nasim Zaidi’s retirement in July 2017.
7. Rajiv Gauba took charge as the new Union Home Secretary.
8. Rajiv Mehrishi was appointed as the Comptroller and Auditor General of India. He will succeed Shashi Kant Sharma who is going to demit office on September 25, 2017.
9. Rs 17.28 trillion value of demonetised bank notes received by the RBI as per RBI Annual Report 2016-17
10. Creamy layer ceiling of Rs 8 lakhs was approved by Union cabinet for OBC category.
11. Swedish defence and security company SAAB and Indian conglomerate Adani Group have announced collaboration in defence manufacturing mainly for design, development and production of single engine Gripen fighter jets under ‘Make in India’ if they win government contract to equip Indian Air Force (IAF) with new jets.
12. Vijay Narayan was appointed as the new advocate general of Tamil Nadu.
13. 9 new members were inducted into Council of Ministers of NDA Government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in recent reshuffle. The aim of reshuffle was to reinforce 4Ps — passion, proficiency, professional and political acumen in Government They are Hardeep Singh Puri: Minister of State (Independent Charge) Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. Satya Pal Singh: MoS Human Resource Development and MoS Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Shiv Pratap Shukla: MoS Finance Ministry. Alphons Kannanthanam: MoS (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Tourism; and MoS in Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology. Raj Kumar Singh: MoS (Independent Charge) of Ministry of Power; and MoS (Independent Charge) of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Virendra Kumar: MoS in Ministry of Women and Child Development; and MoS in Ministry of Minority Affairs, Anantkumar Hegde: MoS in Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Besides, four senior ministers were elevated to the cabinet rank. They are Piyush Goyal: Railway Ministry. Nirmala Sitharaman: Defence Ministry. Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi: Minority Affairs Ministry. Dharmendra Pradhan: Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Ministry.
14. Nearly 300 houses were demolished inside Amchang Reserve Forest ,Assam in August 2017.
15. Assam Government has extended term of Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA), 1958 and declared entire state a Disturbed Area for six more months under Section 3 of AFSP Act. This is for first time state government has extended AFSPA and Disturbed Area provision on its own. In the past, AFSPA provisions in state were always extended by the Centre.
16. The 600-year-old Walled City in Gujarat’s commercial capital Ahmedabad was formally accorded status of India’s first World Heritage City by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova handed over certificate declaring it as ‘World Heritage City’ to Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani in Gandhinagar.
17. The 2017 Rajaswa Gyan Sangam, a 2-day annual conference of senior tax administrators which was jointly organised by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and Central Board of Excise & Customs (CBEC was held at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. It was inaugurated by PM Modi.
18. The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has approved constitution of 13-member Empowered Steering Committee (ESC) on basis of recommendations made by Olympic Task Force headed by Abinav Bindra in its interim report. .It will shape and influence India’s preparation for multi-disciplinary events, including 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
19. According to study conducted by researchers from University of Southampton used combination of new geochemical measurements and novel global climate modelling to show that Palaeocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) was associated with rapid doubling of atmospheric CO2 in less than 25 thousand years because of CO2 emissions from volcanoes.
20. The growth of eight core sectors slowed to 2.4% in July 2017 due to contraction in output of crude oil, refinery products, fertiliser and cement. These eight sectors had witnessed 3.1% growth in July 2016.
21. The Union Ministry of Science and Technology is planning to create FarmerZone, a collective open-source data platform for smart agriculture by using biological research and data to improve lives of small and marginal farmers.
22. Noted economist Rajiv Kumar took over as the Vice-Chairman of government National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog. He succeeds Indian- American economist Arvind Panagariya who had resigned to return to academia. As a Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, he will hold Union Cabinet Minister rank. Prime Minister is ex-officio Chairperson of the Aayog.
23. The National Nutrition Week - observed throughout the country from 1st to 7th September to intensify awareness generation on importance of nutrition for health which has an overall impact on development, productivity, economic growth and ultimately National development. The theme for year 2017 is “Optimal Infant & Young Child Feeding Practices: Better Child Health“.