1. Oct 17 - International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (IDEP) is observed every year to raise people’s awareness of the need to eradicate poverty and destitution worldwide, particularly in developing countries with the theme of 2017 is ‘Answering the Call of October 17 to end poverty: A path toward peaceful and inclusive societies’. This year’s celebration also marks 25th anniversary of declaration of IDEP by UN General Assembly (UNDP). It also marks 30th anniversary of “Call to Action” by Father Joseph Wresinski which had inspired observance of October 17 as World Day for Overcoming Extreme Poverty and recognition by UN day as the IDEP. (IDEP) was instituted by UNGA by adopting a resolution on 22 December 1992 and it was observed for the first time in 1993.
2. Noted Indian –American attorney Ajay Raju has been honoured with the third American Bazaar Philanthropy award in recognition of his philanthropic activities in the United States. Raju was honoured for his commitment to revive Philadelphia through the Germination Project.
3. NIIF (National Investment and Infrastructure Fund ) of India is claimed to be India’s first sovereign wealth fund. The investment agreement worth $1 billion with Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA). With this, ADIA became first institutional investor in NIIF’s Master Fund and shareholder in NIIF’s investment management Company. The agreement was signed in pursuant to Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Finance Ministry and Government of United Arab Emirates (UAE) to mobilise long term investment into NIIF.
4. #IamThatWoman, an online campaign was launched by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD)(Menaka Gandhi in an attempt to end Gender bias in women against women. It also aims to shed light on the enormous contributions made by women for women. Under this campaign, Twitter and Facebook users have been encouraged to tag and share stories of women helping women with photograph and post online with the hashtag #IamThatWoman.
5. Oct 17 – World Sawfish Day. The sawfish which is sighted off Indian coast less than 10 times in over a decade appears to be more threatened than tigers and elephants. Today it may be the most endangered fish species in India. In the International Union for Conservation of Nature Global Red List, sawfish family has been assessed either ‘Endangered’ or ‘Critically Endangered’ considering their threatened status, high extinction risk and observed population decline.
6. India’s first commodity options in gold was launched by Multi-Commodity Exchange of India Ltd (MCX ), largest commodity bourse. MCX’s Gold Option contract is European-styled Gold options with Gold (1 Kg) futures as underlying asset. The gold futures contract will have bi-monthly duration. The option will also have the existing gold kilo futures contract as its underlier. Options are an instrument that gives buyer right to buy or sell an underlined at present price on a future date. They are of two types: puts (right to sell) and calls (right to buy). According to market experts, options are also a much better hedging instrument as compared to futures for hedgers.
7. First All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) in New Delhi was dedicated to the nation by PM Modi on the occasion of National Ayurveda Day observed on the occasion of Dhanwantari Jayanti (17 October 2017). It aims to bring synergy between the traditional wisdom of Ayurveda and modern diagnostic tools and technology. It has been set up on lines of AIIMS. It is NABH (National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers) Accredited Hospital and an Academic Block. It has been set up with a total campus area of 10.015 acres. Prime Minister also released Ayurvedic Standard Treatment Guidelines framed by Ministry of AYUSH. He also presented Yoga Award to Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute, Pune which was announced on the occasion of International Day of Yoga.
8. The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bangalore(89th spot ) and Indian Instituted of Technology (IIT) Bombay( 126-150 category ) were ranked among world’s top 200 institutions for engineering and computer science in Times Higher Education subject-wise rankings.
9. To ensure faster implementation of Bharatmala programme – the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) will soon get powers to approve highway projects with construction cost of more than Rs 1,000 crore. It will get cabinet clearance soon.
10. American author George Saunders became second consecutive American writer to won the 2017 Man Booker Prize, a high-profile literary award for his first full-length novel “Lincoln in the Bardo” after Paul Beatty (for his novel The Sellout), after rules were changed in 2014 to allow authors of any book written in English and published in UK to.compete.
11. Hyderabad’s Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) bagged World 1 airport Award trophy of the ACI in the 5-15 million passengers per annum category. The Jaipur and Srinagar Airport were ranked first and second respectively in ACI (Airports Council International)-ASQ (Airport Service Quality) Survey in the category of 2-5 million passengers. It was for second consecutive time Jaipur Airport was rated Best Airport in the World in the 2 to 5 million passengers per year traffic volume category. ACI-ASQ Survey is only worldwide programme to survey passengers at airports on their day of travel.
12. The new species of gecko at Chhattisgarh’s Kanger Ghati National Park in Eastern Ghats was discovered by the researchers. It common name is the Kanger valley rock gecko and scientific name is Hemidactylus kangerensis, named after the valley where it was discovered.
13. INDRA 2017 - The first tri-service armed Forces (Army, Navy, & Air Force) exercise between India and Russia began at the 249th Combined Army Range Sergeevisky and in Sea of Japan near Vladivostok. It is overall 10th edition of INDRA exercise and India’s first bilateral military exercise with any country involving all three services.
14.The IBSA Trust Fund Agreement that seeks to fight poverty in developing countries was signed by India, Brazil and South Africa (IBSA) at the 8th IBSA trilateral Ministerial Commission Meeting in Durban, South Africa. It brings together the three emerging economies of India, Brazil and South Africa to combat poverty in other developing countries.
15. Scientists have developed a new military watch for the Russian Army Kit which is capable of resisting high impact and can even survey a nuclear explosion.The mechanical watch with automatic movement ensures fast and accurate time determination in severe climatic and operating conditions during routine and combat operations.