1. Oct 27 - World Day for Audiovisual Heritage (WDAH) is observed every year to raise of awareness of significance of and preservation risks recorded sound and audiovisual documents (films, sound and video recordings, television and radio programmes) with the theme of 2017 is “Discover, remember and share”.
2. Oct 27-Infantry Day is observed every year in India to commemorate supreme sacrifices made by Indian Army’s infantry against Pakistan in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) in 1947.
3. The measure of kilogram will no longer be pegged to cylinder as decided by the International Conference of heads of Metrology Institutes held in Sevres, France. It was serving as reference for variety of industries to keep their weights accurate. But this cylinder’s weight in kilogram is known to fluctuate due to surface contamination with time, making it tricky to define its exact mass. The new measure for kilogram from 2019 will be derived from constants of nature that are all interdependent. It will be set by value of Planck constant in combination with definitions of meter and second.
4. Letters of Intent (LoI) to seven shortlisted companies for adopting 14 monuments under Adopt a Heritage Scheme at the closing ceremony of ‘Paryatan Parv’ held in New Delhi was given by the Union Ministry of Tourism . 14 adopted monuments include: Jantar Mantar, Purana Quila, Safdarjung Tomb, Agrasen ki Baoli, and Qutub Minar (Delhi), Hampi (Karnataka), Ajanta Caves (Maharashtra), Sun Temple, Raja Rani Temple and Ratnagiri Monuments (Odisha), Leh Palace and Mt. StokKangri (Jammu & Kashmir), Mattancherry Palace Museum (Kerala), Gangotri Temple Area and Trail (Uttarakhand). The shortlisted companies will be future ‘Monument Mitras’ who would associate pride with their Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) activities.
5. Backward Classes (Reservation of Seats in Educational Institutions in State and of Appointment and Posts in Services under State) Bill 2017 was passed by the Rajasthan Assembly by voice vote. It increases reservation for OBCs from 21% to 26%. With passage of bill, reservation in Rajasthan now stands at 54%, exceeding 50% ceiling mandated by Supreme Court. The bill seeks to provide 5% reservation to Gujjars and four other nomadic communities viz. Banjara, Gadia-Lohar, Raika and Gadariya in state government jobs and educational institutions as Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
6. An MoU was signed between India and Sri Lanka to build 1,200 houses in strategically located southern port city of Hambantota. Hambantota port is located right in middle of vital energy supply lines in Indian Ocean, connecting Middle East and East Asia. Of the 1,200 houses to be built, 600 will be constructed in Southern Province, while remaining will be built across Sri Lanka, through one model village in each of country’s 25 districts.
7. A new gene editing tool therapies that can reverse disease-causing mutations in humans -RNA Editing for Programmable A to I Replacement (REPAIR) have developed by the Scientists from The Broad Institute and Massachusetts Institute of Technology in US.
8. The First International Consumer Protection Conference on empowering consumers in new markets for South, South East and East Asian Countries with the theme “Empowering Consumers in New Markets” was held in New Delhi from 26 to 27 October 2017.
9. As a part of Union Government’s ambitious National Solar Mission in which Indian Railways plans to commission 1000 MWp solar plants across its network was launched by Railway Minister Piyush Goyal. Indian Railway’s first set of solar plants with total capacity of 5 megawatt peak (MWp) was launched on roof tops of Hazrat Nizamuddin, New Delhi, Anand Vihar and Delhi railway stations. The first set of solar plant will generate 76.5 lakh units of solar power cumulatively per year and will meet about 30% of energy requirement of these stations.
10. The Union Government has decided to send a team of officials of Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) to Telangana in order to resolve the issues related to cotton procurement in the state.
11. New Zealand’s Labour leader Jacinda Ardern was sworn in as the new Prime Minister of New Zealand.
12. Malayalam Writer Dr. Punathil Kunjabdulla was passed away due to prolonged illness.He is a doctor by Profession.
13. 70 Indian words from various regional languages like Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Bengali and Gujarati were added to the Oxford English Dictionary. Several Indian food items names also included such as Bhindi, Gosht,Gulab Jamun, Keema, Mirch, Mirch Masala,Namkeen and Vada .Frequently used terms like jugaad,funda,achcha,natak,timepass and chup also included . Some respectful words like Dadagiri,Anna,Bapu, Achcha , Abba, etc were added. Surya Namaskar was added in its September edition.
14. Delhi Olympic Games in the capital city would be organized by the Delhi State Olympic Association. The sporting will be held from Dec 9-18 ,2017.
15.The Special Center for Disaster Research ( SCDR) was inaugurated by the Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiran Rijju at JNU ( Jawaharlal Nehru University ) in New Delhi