1. 2017 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences has won by American economist Richard H. Thaler for his contributions to behavioural economics. He will receive 9-million-kronor ($1.1-million) prize. He has done pioneering work to bridge gap between economics and psychological analyses of individual decision-making. He has incorporated psychologically realistic assumptions into analyses of economic decision-making.
2. India to conduct first BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2017. It will be conducted by National Disaster Response Force ( NDRF) from 10 -13 Oct 2017 . Delegates from all the 7 nations of Bay of Bengal initiative for Multi -Sectoral Technical and Economic Co-operation (BIMSTEC) grouping namely Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar , Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand will participate in this event. The main focus of this exercise will be on testing the region’s preparedness and resilience towards effective activation of inter governmental interaction/dialogue/agreements for immediate deployment of regional resources for disaster response.
3. PM Modi launched an intensive immunization drive named “ Intensive Mission Indradhanush “ at Vadnagar in Gujarat on 8th Oct 2017, which aims to reach every child below the age of 2 years and pregnant women still uncovered under the routine immunization programme. Under this initiative, a 7 –day immunization drive will be conducted every month starting immediately till Jan2018in 173 districts and 17 cities. The main objective of this programme is to ensure no child suffers from any vaccine preventable disease.
4. Gauri Lankesh , activist –journalist from Karnataka who was shot dead in Sep 2017 will be posthumously conferred the Reach All Women in WAR ( RAW in WAR) Anna Politkovskaya Award 2017.With this, the journalist becomes the first-ever Indian to receive the honor. She would sharing the award with a Pakistani peace activist Gulali Ismail who has faced death threats for speaking out against the Taliban.
5. Under Namami Gange Programme, the Executive Committee of National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has approved eight projects worth Rs. 700 crore. The four projects pertain to sewage management in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal,three are related to treatment of drains through bio-remediation and one related to inventorization and surveillance of Ganga River.
6. Sovereign Gold Bonds 2017-18 – Series-III has launched by the Union Government in consultation with Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The bonds will be sold through banks, Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited, designated post offices and recognised stock exchanges namely the NSE and BSE. The applications for bond will be accepted from October 09, 2017 to December 27, 2017.
7. The GST Council has constituted a Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma to make the composition scheme more attractive and revisit the goods and services tax rates on restaurants. It will examine steps to make it more attractive as only 15.50 lakh businesses out of total 98 lakh have registered under GST regime opting for composition scheme. Businesses with turnover of up to Rs. 1 crore can opt for composition scheme and pay taxes in range of 1-5% and file returns quarterly. It will submit the report in two weeks.
8. According to study published in journal Environmental Pollution, exposure to air pollution can have damaging effects on children’s cognitive development and reduce their working memory. The study has assessed impact of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) and black carbon— a pollutant directly related to. traffic during walking commute to and from school.
9. RBI’s fourth bimonthly policy review for financial year 2017-18 released. The six member Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to maintain status quo in policy rates by keeping repo rate unchanged at 6.0% under liquidity adjustment facility.
10. Golden Jubilee Year Celebrations (50 years) of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) was inaugurated by PM Modi in New Delhi. ICSI is the only statutory professional body in India with objective of promoting, regulating and developing the profession of Company Secretaries in India.
11. The proposal of Union Ministry of Shipping to rename of Kandla Port in Gujarat as Deendayal Port, Kandla was approved by the Union Cabinet It was renamed as part of Upadhyay’s 101st birth anniversary celebrations who had dedicated his entire life for public service and was epitome of simplicity, honesty and selfless service for poor and down-trodden.
12. The MoU signed between Ministry of Railways, and Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications of Swiss Confederation on Technical Cooperation in Rail Sector in August, 2017 was approved by the Union Cabinet.
13. The Government has constituted a high-level committee under Chairmanship of Rajiv Kumar, Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog for proper management of water resources in North Eastern Region (NER). The Committee is tasked to facilitate optimising benefits of appropriate water management in form of agriculture, bio-diversity conservation, hydro-el ectric power, reduced flood damage erosion, inland water transport, forestry, fishery and eco-tourism.
14. Rajnish Kumar was appointed as the new chairman of State Bank of India (SBI). He will be 25th chairman of the country’s largest lender and succeeds Arundhati Bhattacharya who retired from the service.
15. India and Djibouti have signed an agreement during President Ram Nath Kovind’s first leg of his four-day visit to Djibouti and Ethiopia to establish regular Foreign Office-level bilateral consultations between both countries. He is the first Indian leader to visit Djibouti and it was also his maiden trip abroad since taking office.
16. 2017 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for developing cryo-electron microscopy for the high resolution structure determination of biomolecules in solution by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. The awardees are Jacques Dubochet, Joachim Frank and Richard Henderson.
17. Ganga Prasad was sworn in as the 17th Governor of Meghalaya.
18. The nationwide ‘Paryatan Parv’ to showcase cultural diversity of country and reinforce the principle of ‘Tourism for All’ was launched by the Union Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with Other Union Ministries and State Governments with an aim to draw focus on the benefits of tourism.
19. Mass Embryo Transfer programme in indigenous breeds under National Mission on Bovine Productivity Scheme was undertaken by the Department of Animal husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries in co-operation with 12 States with the objective of conservation and development of indigenous breeds under Rashtriya Gokul Mission using Embryo transfer technology (ETT).
20.Government has signed Finance Contract with European Investment Bank (EIB) for lending of €300 million for Bangalore Metro Rail Project Phase II Line R6. The objective of project is to bring in quantum improvement in transportation sector in city in tandem with Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation .