1. The Union Cabinet approved Agreement between India and Hong Kong, special administrative region of China for Avoidance of Double Taxation and Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to taxes on income. The agreement will stimulate flow of investment, technology and personnel from India to HKSAR & vice versa.
2. India was re-elected as member of executive board of United Nations educational, scientific and cultural organization (UNESCO) at the election held at 39th session of General Conference of UNESCO in Paris, France. Executive board is UNESCO’s top decision-making body.
3. The Disaster Maps for India has been rolled out by the social networking giant Face book Inc in a bid to help communities recover and rebuild faster in aftermath of natural disasters . It was launched at Face book’s first Disaster Response Summit in India along with National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). Face book will initially join hands with NDMA and SEEDS (Sustainable Environment and Ecological Development Society) in India to share data about its users with them in times of disasters. Globally Facebook has partnered with organizations like Red Cross for such initiative. Government has claimed that India will be first country to partner with Facebook on disaster response. It aims to help communities across country recover and rebuild from natural disasters faster by sharing critical pieces of data sets with humanitarian agencies in timely manner.
4. Nov 10 – World Science Day for Peace and Development was celebrated to renew national as well as international commitment to science for peace and development with the theme for 2017 is “Science for Global Understanding“. It highlights significant role of science in society and need to engage wider public in debates on emerging scientific issues.
5. The Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh was inaugurated the 19th edition of Organic World Congress (OWC- 2017) was held at India Expo Centre in Greater Noida from November 9-11, 2017, It saw participation of 1,400 representatives from 110 countries and 2000 delegates from India. In the event 55 seeds group from 15 Indian states showcased 4,000 varieties of seeds which were carefully preserved, diverse ,indigenous seed varieties over generations. Its goal was to move from organic India to the organic world.
6. The Union Government is working on adopting land-pooling methodology as an alternative mechanism for development and expansion of airports. Currently airports across country are facing high passenger traffic growth and will further grow in future. Most of current functional airports are located in congested parts of cities with no scope for growth and reach saturation point even after being expanded for lack of land availability. Under land pooling mechanism, group of land-owners pool their land and hand it over to government agency for development of infrastructure projects. Generally, people who part with their land parcels get 60-70% of their holdings back after infrastructure is developed on it. This is done to develop potential infrastructure to reduce the load on the existing congested and saturated areas. This method already has been used in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra
7. Olive Ridley turtles have started arriving in large at Gahirmatha beach (world’s largest rookery of this species) in Odisha’s Kendrapara district for breeding season.Olive Ridley turtle (Lepidochelys olivacea) is smallest and most abundant of all sea turtle found in world. It gets its name from its olive coloured carapace, which is heart-shaped and rounded. It is found in warm waters of Pacific and Indian ocean.
8. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has simplified Foreign Exchange Management (Transfer or Issue of Security by a Person Resident outside India) Regulations to make it easier for foreign investors to invest in the country. The new regulation combines earlier two regulations on foreign investments. They are FEMA 20 (investment in Indian company or partnership or in a limi ted liability partnership) or FEMA 24 (investment in a partnership firm). It also introduces late submission fee that could allow investor to regularise any contravention due to non-reporting, by paying the fee.
9. The Union Ministry of State for Youth Affairs and Sports ( Independent charge ) Rajyavardhan Rathore released the India Youth Development Index ( YDI) and report 2017 in New Delhi on 13th Nov 2017.The index has been developed by the Rajiv Gandhi National institute of Youth Development (RGNYID) in Tamil Nadu. The index will help recognize the high and low performing states, identify the weak domains and inform the policy makers about the priority areas of intervention for youth development in the States.
10. Researchers from Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology have developed a thin, flexible material that generates electricity when stretched or compressed. The specially designed rubber is able to convert mechanical movements into electrical charges.The rubber is a composite material made up of polar nano particles and an elastomer-silicone in the prototype.
11. M Mahender Reddy was appointed as New DGP of Telangana state. Earlier he served as commissioner of Hyderabad police.He succeeded Anurag Sharma who retires from the service on 11 Nov 2017.
12. The Union Government would be launching its second and final phase of Bharat Net Project .Under phase II , broadband net connectivity will be provided in remaining 1.5 lakh Gram Panchayats by March 2019.It will be implemented at an outlay of around Rs 34000 Crores.
13.The fourth –India Canada Annual ministerial dialogue is set to begin in New Delhi on 13th Nov 2017.A high level delegation led by the Canadian International Trade minister Francois Phillippe Champagne is visiting to India to attend the dialogue. The Indian delegation would be led by the commerce and industry minister , Suresh Prabhu. At the meet India and Canada would be focusing on some of the key commercial drivers to enhance the partnership between the two nations.