1. R.S. Puram Police station in Coimbatore , Tamil Nadu has been adjudged as the best police station in India in SMART Police stations initiative of Union Ministry of Home Affairs ( MHA).SMART Police stands for S-Sensitive and Strict, M-Modern with Mobility, A-Alert and Accountable, R- Reliable and Responsible , T-Trained and Technosavvy. SMART Police concept was announced by PM Modi at the 49th annual conference of Director General/Inspector General held in Guwahati in Nov 2014.
2. The first phase of BharatNet project is completed after successfully laying optical fibre cables (OFC) in more than 1 lakh gram panchayats. BharatNet project forms backbone for Digital India initiative. It aims to bring high speed broadband to all 2.5 lakh gram panchayats (GPs) through optical fibre. The project was approved by Union Cabinet in 2011 as National Optical Fibre Netwok. The project is being funded by Universal service Obligation Fund (USOF).The second phase of the project was initiated in November 2017 for connecting the remaining 1.5 lakh gram panchayats. Government is expecting to concluding it ahead of schedule by December 2018 and the second phase’s original target is March 2019.
3. National Programme for Control of Viral Hepatitis, a new scheme free treatment of Hepatitis C is rolled out by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare from the 2018-19 financial year. Hepatitis C is infectious disease caused by blood-borne virus hepatitis C virus (HCV) that primarily affects the liver. Significant number of people infected with Hepatitis C develop cirrhosis of liver or liver cancer, which are responsible for 3,99,000 Hepatitis C deaths annually across the world. Under the new scheme, the focus will be on anti-viral treatment of Hepatitis C which will be provided free at all government health set-ups. For this government has embarked budget of Rs 600 crore for the next three years.
4. The Supreme Court has stayed Karnataka High Court order reducing size of pictorial warnings on packages of tobacco products to 40% of the package space from earlier 85%. The apex court took decision saying that health of citizen has primacy and emphasised on importance of public health and harmful effects of tobacco products.
5. The Union Defence Ministry has sanctioned raising of Territorial Army (TA) battalion named as Composite Ecological Task Force (CETF) battalion of TA comprising ex-servicemen of Indian Army as part of its mission to clean the Ganga by 2020.The CETF battalion will be raised in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh as a pilot project. For this government has allocated Rs 167 crore under National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), the nodal agency for cleaning Ganga. It will be responsible for monitoring ecological and environmental projects related to Ganga River, and also raise public awareness through campaigns. It will also assist government in enforcing pollution control measures, support local civil administration and police in managing the ghats, and provi de support and assistance if and when there is flood or natural disaster in region.
6. Bihar government has imposed a ban on manufacture, distribution, sale, purchase, display and advertisement of electronic cigarettes.(e-cigarettes) across the state.
7. Central govt has notified the companies ( Amendment )Act,2017. This act now allowed companies to issue shares at a discount to its creditors in instances wherein its debt is converted into shares as a part of any statutory resolution plan/debt restructuring under Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016.
8. Turkey announced plans to extend the ongoing state of emergency for the sixth time to crack down on individuals connected with failed coup. The ongoing emergency expires on Jan 19, 2018.The fresh extension will be for another three months. The state of emergency was first imposed on July 2016.
9. A MoU was signed between Punjab National Bank (PNB) and National Scheduled Castes finance and development Corporation ( NSFDC) to provide financial assistance to Sc families living below double poverty line( DPL). At present persons whose family income is below 40000/per annum in rural areas and Rs 55000 per annum in urban areas are considered to be below double poverty line.
10. Gujarat has topped logistics ease across different states ( LEADS) index as per the report released by the union minister of commerce and industry Suresh Prabhu at the third meeting of council for Trade development and promotion on 8th Jan 2018.LEADS index is a perception based index of mobility of goods and efficiency of logistics chain.
11. January 9 -The Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated every year to mark the contribution of Overseas Indian community in the development of India with the theme of 2018 “Ancient Route, New Journey: Diaspora in the Dynamic ASEAN INDIA Partnership” This year marks 25 years of ASEAN-Indian Partnership which is based on centuries-old cultural, religious and human links, forged on an ancient route of commerce. PBD was chosen to commemorate the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India in 1915.
12. Matunga Suburban station in Mumbai enters Limca book of records for comprising all -woman staff. It became the India’s first railway station to be operated by all- woman staff in July 2018 . A total of 41 woman staff are working at the station.
13. French Government’s highest order of merit “ Legion of Honour award “ was given to actor Soumitra Chatterjee at the 42nd International Kolkata Book fair by French culture Minister Francoise Nyssen . Theme country for the International Kolkata book fair 2018 is France. This is considered as the world’s largest book fair in terms of participants.
14. BCCI has suspended cricketer Yusuf Pathan for five months for failing a dope test.But he is allowed to play from Jan 2018 as the ban was backdated to August 2018.
15. Kolkata Open 2018 International Invitation snooker championship at the Hindustan Club in Kolkata won by Aditya Mehta by defeating England’s Alfie Burden. He won the Kolkata open for the third time.
16. Dilip Asbe has been appointed as the MD and CEO of National Payments Corporation of India ( NPCI), an umbrella organization for retail payments in India
17. Allu Arjun (Telugu film star) was appointed as the brand ambassador of Frooti, as a part of Parle Agro’s expansion strategy.
18. AR Rahman was appointed as the brand ambassador of Sikkim tourism. He will also brand Sikkim on International platforms.
19. Rajesh Ranjan,( IFS officer of 2001 batch ) was appointed as the High Commissioner of India to Botswana.
20. Sita Ram Mandi was appointed as the new DGP of Himachal Pradesh. He replaces Sanjay Kumar.
21. Karen Bardley was appointed as the new secretary of state for Northern Ireland .
22. R. S .Puram Police station House officer T. Jothi ( Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu ) received the India’s best SMART Police station award at the all India conference of Director General/ Inspector General of Police held at BSF Academy Tekanpur in Madhya Pradesh from Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.