1. May 1- International Labour Day also known as International Worker’s Day or May Day, observed every year on May 1 to promote and encourage the international labour associations. The day marks the victory of workers’ movement for 8 hours of work. In India, Labour Day is referred to as Antarrashtriya Shramik Diwas or Kamgar Din. The 2018 theme “Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement” motivate workers all over the world to unite for their rights and demand social and economic advancement from the governments and capitalists.
2. May 1- Gujarat and Maharashtra celebrated their Statehood Day. Maharashtra and Gujarat came into existence as states on 1st May 1960. Maharashtra and Gujarat were formed on linguistic grounds. Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said that, the Gujarat government will start a month-long initiative named ‘Sujalam Sufalam Water Conservation Initiative’, from 1st May 2018 (Foundation Day of Gujarat) to increase its water conservation capacity. A committee led by Gujarat Chief Secretary J N Singh has been formed to oversee the project.
3. The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBS-2019) will be held in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh from January 21 to 23, 2019. The event would be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Mauritian counterpart Pravind Jugnauth. It will be organised by the Ministry of External Affairs in association with the Uttar Pradesh government with theme “Role of Indian Diaspora in building a New India”.
|CLICK HERE TO BUY ONLINE|
1. Chennai-based transgender Mubina has won the 2018 Miss Koovagam beauty pageant title in Villupuram, Tamil Nadu. Apart from their beauty and attire, the contestants were tested for their knowledge in Indian mythologies.
1. The 9th India Japan Energy Dialogue was held in New Delhi on May 1, 2018. Both countries agree to work together for energy security, energy access and climate change issues.
2. India has been ranked joint-sixth in the list of doping violations with 69 cases, same as that of Russia, according to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) report for samples collected in 2016. Italy topped the rankings of drug cases in 2016, followed by France (86), United States (76), Australia (75), Belgium (73).
3. GOBAR (Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources) – DHAN scheme was launched at the National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Auditorium, Karnal, Haryana on May 1, 2018 by Uma Bharti, the Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation. The purpose of scheme is to positively impact village cleanliness and generate wealth and energy from cattle and organic waste. The scheme also aims at creating new rural livelihood opportunities and enhancing income for farmers and other rural people. Under the scheme, cooking gas would be provided to rural habitations and technical support would ensure that the scheme functioned on a sustainable basis.
4. Kisan Kalyan Karyashala workshop was organised at the block level across the country by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare on May 2, 2018 in which farmers from that block will participate. The workshops are part of Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan, a rural-centric campaign that started on the 14th of last month, the birth anniversary of BR Ambedkar. It will end on May 7. During workshops, farmers from each block will be interacting with agriculture officers and scientists to discuss ways to increase their income through adoption of new technology.
5. The high-powered inter-ministerial Telecom Commission, headed by Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan, approved in-flight mobile connectivity in Indian airspace on May 1, 2018, thus, allowing people to make phone calls and use internet services in flights over Indian airspace, with certain riders. Telecom Commission’s approval comes months after the telecom regulator TRAI recommended for in-flight mobile telephony and internet services. The Internet and Mobile Communication on Aircraft (MCA) service will be permitted as In-Flight Connectivity (IFC) in the Indian airspace.
6. 14 Indian cities figure in a list of world's 20 most polluted cities in terms of particulate matter PM2.5 levels in 2016 as per the data released by the World Health Organisation (WHO). The WHO Global Urban Ambient Air Pollution Database ranked Kanpur as the most polluted city among 4300 world cities which were monitored for their air pollution levels in the year 2016.The particulate matter PM2.5 includes pollutants like sulfate, nitrate and black carbon, which pose the greatest risk to human health.
7. The Union Government on May 1, 2018 released the draft of a new Telecom policy - National Digital Communications Policy, 2018.The policy aims to provide broadband coverage with 50 Mbps speed to every citizen, attract USD 100 billion investment in the sector and create 40 lakh new jobs by 2022. It also proposes to address the woes of the Telecom sector by reviewing licence fees, spectrum usage charges, and universal service obligation fund levy for enhancing ease of doing business in the sector.
8. President Ram Nath Kovind on May 2, 2018 presided over the first meeting of the national committee set up for commemoration of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in 2019. The 114-member committee, comprising Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, former Prime Ministers and Chief Justice of India, will discuss the policies, plans and preparatory activities for commemoration of the birth anniversary. The birth anniversary of the Mahatma Gandhi will be commemorated from October 2, 2019 to October 2, 2020.
9. Maharashtra State will get a new airport at ParuleChipi in Sindhudurg district, which is expected to be functional by September 2018. Sindhudurg airport will have a 2500-meter runway and in terms of passenger handling capacity, it will be able to handle 200 departing and 200 passengers arriving during peak hours.Post completion, this airport will provide better connectivity to the Konkan region of Maharashtra, parts of Goa, North Karnataka and Western Maharashtra. Its Estimated cost for construction is Rs. 520 crore.
10. In March 2018, International Solar Alliance (ISA) had a setup a task force, which would be responsible for creating ecosystems for startups in solar innovations by enabling incubation, partnerships and access to finance. This task force will also develop an overarching innovation strategy to promote innovation in the areas such as solar finance, technologies and applications. The task force is being chaired by SoftBank Group Corp Chairman & CEO Masayoshi Son.
11. Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh and union minister of state for railways Ranjan Gohain flagged off Antyodaya Express on 1st May 2018. It began its service from Raipur, Chhattisgarh on its first day.It is a fully unreserved, well-equipped weekly train between Durg and Firozpur Cantt. The train features modern coaches, RO drinking water, mobile charging facilities, bio-toilets, LED lights etc.
1. The India-China border bilateral trade for the year 2018 resumed on May 1, 2018 through the Nathu La border with the exchange of gifts between both the sides. The trade was disrupted in 2017 following the Doklam standoff. In 2016-2017, goods worth Rs 3.54 crore were traded via Nathu La, the Sino-Indian border.
2. The Dominican Republic and China announced to establish diplomatic relations as the Caribbean country becomes the latest nation to dump Taiwan in the face of Beijing's growing influence.
Science and Technology/ Defence:
1. “2018 Vijay Prahar” exercise of Indian Army’s South Western Command has started near Suratgarh in Rajasthan. The exercise that began a couple of weeks ago will conclude on May 9 and Army chief General Bipin Rawat and other senior officers are likely to witness the final phase.
2. NASA will be launching ‘InSight’, the first-ever mission dedicated to exploring the deep interior of Mars on May 5, 2018. ‘InSight’ stands for Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport. It is a stationary robotic lander. InSight will be NASA’s first mission since the Apollo moon landings to place a seismometer (a device that measures quakes), on the surface of another planet. ’InSight’ will be launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, US aboard a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket.
1. As per data released by Union Ministry of Finance, the total gross Goods and Services Tax (GST) revenue collected in the month of April 2018 surpassed the Rs 1 lakh crore mark and stood at Rs 103458 crore. Since roll out of GST in July 2017, April 2018 is the first ever month in which GST collection surpassed Rs. 1 lakh crore mark.
1. Sitanshu Kar, a 1983-batch Indian Information Service (IIS) officer was appointed as the principal director general of the Press Information Bureau (PIB).
2. Subhash Chandra Khuntia, a 1981-batch Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officer, has been appointed as Chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
3. Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge, an MP from Gulbarga (Karnataka), has been re-appointed chairman of the 22-member Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Parliament for its fresh term starting on May 1.
1. Tennis player Anikta Raina, who has displayed good form this season both in the Fed Cup and the professional circuit, has been included in the Government of India (GoI)’s Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS). Raina, Mehuli Ghosh, Om Prakash Mitharwal, Gaurav Solanki, Shahzar Rizvi, Hussamuddin Mohammad, Manu Bhaker, Anish Bhanwala and Gaurav Solanki were also included in the TOPS list.
2. Hockey India on May 1, 2018 appointed Harendra Singh as the chief coach of the Indian men’s hockey team, replacing Sjoerd Marijne who will return back to his responsibility as coach of the Indian Women’s Hockey Team. Under Singh’s guidance, the Indian women's team finished an impressive fourth at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. The Indian men’s hockey team, however, had a disappointing run at CWG 2018, as the team lost to England in the bronze medal playoff match, finishing without a medal for the first time since CWG 2006.
3. Indian Blind Football Federation (IBFF) conducted the third edition of All India Invitational Blind Football Tournament in Kochi, Kerala from 27th April to 1st May 2018. Over 100 players from all over India participated in the tournament.
4. Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2018 was won by Formula 1 motorist Lewis Hamilton in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan. Kimi Raikkonen of Ferrari came second while Sergio Perez of Force India came third. Azerbaijan Grand Prix was held for the first time in 2017.
1. P P Lakshmanan (83), the former President of the All India Football Federation (AIFF) and ex-member of the Appeals committee of FIFA, has passed away at Kannur in Kerala on April 30. He was the first Indian to be chosen as the member of FIFA’s appeal committee.
2. Guruji Ravinder Sharma, the renowned sculpture and mentor of artists, has passed away at Kala Ashram in Adilabad, Telangana on April 30, 2018.
3. Ashok Mitra (90), the noted scholar and the first Finance Minister in the Left Front government in West Bengal, has passed away in Kolkata on May 1, 2018.
4. Kottayam Pushpanath (80), the renowned Malayalam detective novelist, has passed away in Kottayam, Kerala on May 2, 2018.