Daily Current affairs – March 3,2017
Prepared by Sarala Dhavamanoharan, Viluppuram
- First Regional Conference of Eastern States on enhancing steel consumption in India was held in Gangtok, Sikkim. The theme of the conference was ‘Enhancing steel consumption in India’. It was the first of the four such regional conferences planned across India.
- India and Oman agreed to enhance cooperation between their navies during the talks of Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba with top defence brass of Oman.
- Robyn Rihanna Fenty was conferred with Harvard Humanitarian award of the year 2017
- “Swachh Shakti Saptha” a week long campaign was inaugurated in Haryana
- The Indian Railways has made Aadhaar number mandatory for senior citizens to avail concessions in train tickets from April 1, 2017. it is planning to move towards Aadhaar-based online ticketing system to prevent touts.lndian Railways will also launch an integrated ticketing app by May 2017 to promote cashless transaction.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) has won the annual visitor’s award for the Best University 2017.
- Dr Deepak Pant from Central University of Himachal Pradesh won the visitor’s award for innovation.
- The visitor’s award for research was jointly won by Prof Niranjan Karak from Tezpur University and Dr. Shyam Sunder from Banaras Hindu University.
- Pakistan Government has approved merger of Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) with the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
- The Syrian Army has recaptured the ancient city of Palmyra from Islamic State (IS) for the second time in a year, with help from allied forces and Russian air support.
- US has successfully launched classified satellite dubbed NROL-79 of National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) in the space. It was launched on board of the Atlas 5 rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California.
- Five-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova was given a wildcard to play in the Italian Open to be held in May 2017. The wild card will give former world number one chance to return to the tournaments after completing a 15-month ban for doping. She hasn’t played since testing positive for meldonium at the January 2016 Australian Open.
- Senior Pakistani diplomat Amjad Hussain B Sial assumed charge as new Secretary-General of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC). He succeeded Secretary General Arjun Bahadur Thapa of Nepal
- The World Wildlife Day is observed on 3rd March every year to celebrate and raise awareness about the world’s wild fauna and flora. 2017 theme: “Listen to the Young Voices”.
- The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) formally handed over an indigenously developed Weapon Locating Radar (WLR) system dubbed as ‘SWATHI’ to Indian Army. The DRDO also handed over a Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) recce vehicle Mk-I and NBC treatment drugs to the Indian Army.
- India has accepted an invitation to attend the next meeting of the Permanent Indus Commission (PIC) of the Indus Waters Treaty (IWT), to be held in Lahore in March 2017.
- Tripura Govt has sent a proposal to the centre to open All India Institute of Ayurveda(AIIA) in the sate
- Gujarat High Court has directed the state to not to allow any NGO to operate bird care centres
in residential area of the city
- International Yoga Festival 2017 was started in Uttarkhand
- Portraits of Courage : A Commandar in Chief’s Tribute to American Warriors is a book authored by George W Bush ( Former US President)
- Sri Lanka won the most Popular Tourism Destination award in China at the Guangzhou International Trade Fair.
- The Supreme Court has allowed the Construction of The Sutlej-Yamuna link canal Project in Punjab and Haryana
- The United Nations envoy on human rights in Myanmar called for the creation of a Commission of Inquiry to investigate abuses in the Country
- German auto ancillary major ZF Friedrichshafen AG opened its India technology centre in Hyderabad and said it is considering setting up another facility focused on future mobility, including autonomous cars.
- Andhra Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu inaugurated the Legislative Council and Assembly Complex at Velagapudi in Guntur district
- CAMPCO Ltd. has signed a pact to get pepper processed, graded and certified at the Indian Institute of Spices Research of Indian Council for Agriculture Research (ICAR) at Kozhikode, Kerala.
- As part of its initiative to create awareness about its whole range of products, Karnataka Soaps and Detergents Ltd. (KSDL) is conducting an 11-day “Soap Santhe” in Hubballi