Prepared by Sarala Dhavamanoharan
- The Union Government recently notified the Specified Bank Notes ( Cessation of Liabilities ) Act 2017 which is introduced in the Public interest for the Cessation of liabilities on the specified bank notes.
- The historic Cotton College will cease to exist with the Assam Govt proposing to convert it into a University to sort out several conflicting issues with the Cotton College State University
- The Union Human Resource Development Ministry has issued a notification making mandatory for students to have an Aadhaar card to get served cooked meal under the Mid-Day Meal (MDM) Scheme. The use of Aadhaar as identity document aims at improving efficiency and transparency in the scheme and simplifies government’s delivery process and subsidies.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has proposed the setting up Women’s Entrepreneurship Council for taking up with the government the problems faced by business women. The Council will be modelled on the lines of chambers of commerce. It will seek to resolve issues through policy changes.
- India for first time will host International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV2017). It will be hosted in collaboration with United Nations University and UNESCO. The objective of ICEGOV2017 is to explore how Digital Government can lead to Digital Empowerment by local knowledge.
- China is planning to build its first national underwater observatory in the disputed South China Sea (SCS). The observatory will allow China to keep a check on underwater physical, chemical, and geological dynamics in real time.
- According to recently released GSM Association report, India will lead the world in smart phone adoption with a net addition of 350 million connections in 2016-20.
- INHS Asvini, Mumbai was adjudged the best Service Hospital in the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) for the year 2016. It was presented with the Raksha Mantri’s Trophy and Citation.
- The Command Hospital (Northern Command) Udhampur and Command Hospital (Southern Command), Pune were jointly adjudged the second best Service Hospitals.
- The Assam government has made Sanskrit education compulsory in all state board schools till Class VIII. Decision in this regard, was taken at state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
- Andhra Pradesh Government has renamed Tirupati Airport as Sri Venkateswara Airport and Gannavaram Airport as NTR Amaravati Airport
- Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir have signed a Secretary level fresh pact for the fast-track completion of the much-delayed 206 megawatt (MW) Shahpur Kandi dam project on the Ravi river. It is located 11 km downstream Ranjit Sagar Dam. Shapur Kandi project was declared a national project in February 2008 by the Centre.
- The State Legislative Assembly has passed the West Bengal Clinical Establishments (Registration, Regulation and Transparency) Bill, 2017, by a voice vote. It repeals the West Bengal Clinical Establishments (Registration and Regulation) Act, 2010. It aims to overhaul private healthcare in state and take stringent measures against health institutions accused of medical negligence and corrupt practices.
- For the first time in 16 years, Odisha has achieved highest decline in Infant Mortality Rate (IMR). This decline is far better than the national average. According to the fourth round of the National Family Health Survey (NFHS), Odisha’s IMR has come down by 29% between 2005 and 2015 which is highest trend in the country. It was 96 per 1000 births in 2000 has been reduced to 40 in 2015-16.
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has prohibited all camping activity on beaches which fall within 100 meters along the River Ganga from Shivpuri to Rishikesh in Uttarakhand.
- Nepal Investment summit 2017 concluded in Kathmandu.