Prepared by Ms.Sarala Dhavamanoharan
1. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the Revised Cost Estimate-I of 400 MW Koteshwar Hydro Electric Project (HEP) in Uttarakhand at an estimated completion cost of Rs. 2,717.35 crore. The project is being implemented by Tehri Hydro Development Corporation (THDC) India Limited.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Portugal on cooperation in the field of IT&E.
3. Special Commemorative Postage Stamp marking 100 years of Yogoda Satsang Math was released by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a function in New Delhi. Yogoda Satsang Society of India was founded by Paramahansa Yogananda in 1917 which is located at Dakshineswar, Kolkata
4. The Union Cabinet approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Portugal on Renewable Energy. The MoU was signed in January, 2017 in New Delhi.
5. The 13th Executive Committee (ExCo) Meeting of the International Smart Grid Action Network (ISGAN) was held at POWERGRID Corporate Centre, Gurugram. This was the first ever meeting of ISGAN held in India. It was hosted by the Union Ministry of Power. A total of 36 representatives from 18 countries participated in this event.
6. China has hiked its military spending by seven per cent to $152 billion (1.04 trillion yuan). It is three times higher than that of India’s defence budget of $53.5 billion.
7. Social networking giant Facebook launched SheLeadsTech programme to nurture and mentor start-ups founded or co-founded by women. She Means Business, which was launched on Women’s Day in 2016. It is running in six states since its launch and now Facebook plans to take it to eight more states, including Jammu and Kashmir for 2017.
8. The Union Finance Ministry has given its in-principle approvals to public sector banks (PSBs) to offer Employee Stock Option plans (ESOPs) to their employees from FY 2017-18.
9. HDFC Bank launched electronic virtual assistant (EVA), India’s first artificial intelligence-driven banking chatbot, for customer services. It can answer millions of customer queries across multiple channels instantly.
10. According to the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) 2017, 45% of country’s bird species are found in Himachal Pradesh. As per data total 564 bird species are found in Himachal Pradesh of the 1,263 species found in whole country.
11. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for India’s accession to the Customs Convention on International Transport of Goods under cover of TIR Carnets (TIR Convention) and necessary procedures for ratification. By joining the convention, Indian traders will get access to fast, easy, reliable and hassle free international system for movement of goods by road or multi-modal means across the territories of other contracting parties.
12. Union Cabinet has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and the United Nations Entity of Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women). Under this MoU, Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj (MoPR) and UN-Women will work in collaboration with each other to promote participation of women in Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs).The Head quarters of UN women is located in Newyork.
13. The Union Cabinet has approved signing of the Definitive Agreement on Oil Storage and Management between Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserve Ltd (ISPRL) and UAE’s Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC). Government’s this move aims at boosting India’s energy security by ensuring a strategic storage flow in for crude oil, from a government firm in Abu Dhabi for meeting unexpected future exigencies.
14. According to recently released World Health Organisation (WHO) report titled “Inheriting a sustainable world: Atlas on children’s health and the environment”, polluted environment kills around 1.7 million children a year. The report provides a comprehensive overview of the environment’s impact especially air pollution on children’s health, illustrating the scale of the challenge.
15. The Trade Mark Rules, 2017 have come into effect, streamlining and simplifying the processing of Trade Mark applications. The new rules were released by Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry and will replace the erstwhile Trade Mark Rules, 2002. Number of Trade Mark (TM) Forms have been reduced to 8 from 74.
16. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved proposal for revival of 50 under-served/un-served airports or airstrips of the State Governments, Airports Authority of India (AAI) and Civil enclaves.
17. The Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) to provide various services in the field of energy management and conservation.
18. India’s tallest national flag measuring 360 feet was hoisted at Attari-Wagah joint checkpost in Punjab. It broke earlier record of national flag hoisted in Ranchi which is 293 feet high. The flag at Attari-Wagah is 120 feet in length, 80 feet in breadth. It is hosted on a pole which is 360 feet high, having concrete base is 30 feet in length and another 30 feet in breadth. The foundation of the flag can withstand high velocity winds up to 180 km an hour. It is all-weather flag based on motorized mechanism and will be lowered only in case of wear and tear. The flag will be an attraction for the tourists who visit the Attari border to watch the Beating the Retreat ceremony.
19. Maharashtra government has decided to regulate the web-based taxi services in the state to ensure affordable travel for commuters. In this regard, Maharashtra City Taxi Regulations 2017 will be implemented in the state.
20. Google India and Telangana Government have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at supporting the digitilisation efforts of the state.
21. The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) has captured an image of an incredibly massive galaxy dubbed as UGC 12591 that is 400 million light years away from the Earth. It is situated in the westernmost region of the Pisces-Perseus Supercluster, one of the largest known structures in the cosmos. It sits somewhere between lenticular and spiral shapes.
22. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed P K Purwar as Chairman and Managing Director of state-run telecom major Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL).
23. India is going to supply additional 60 MW power from its ONGC-Tripura power (OTPC’s) Palatana plant to Bangladesh.
24. The Indian Navy will set up meteorological facilities and impart training to Myanmar Navy. This was agreed upon during a recent visit of Myanmar delegation to Kochi, Kerala. The delegation was given a tour of Indian Naval Meteorological and Analysis Centre (INMAC) and School of Naval Oceanology and Meteorology (SNOM).
25. Iran’s advanced S-300 air defence system became operational. The system was delivered by Russia following Iran’s July 2015 nuclear deal with P5+1 nations. The S-300 is Russian long range surface-to-air missile systems that can defend against aircraft and cruise missiles and even intercept ballistic missiles.
26. The book – The Rise of Sivagami : the Book 1 of Baahubali- before the beginning was written by Anand Neelakanthan
27. The Dahej petrochemical complex that was dedicated to the Nation was located in Gujarat
28. K. Srinath Reddy, Padma Bhushan awardee was appointed as the advisor to the Odisha Government for its on going public health programme
29. The ministry of water Resources , River development and Ganga Rejuvenation organized a national conference in New Delhi on Jal kranti Abhiyan