Prepared by Ms.SaralaDhavamanoharan, Viluppuram
1. Pablo cuevas ( Uruguay’s Tennis player ) won the Men’s single title in Brazil Open 2017 , which is held annually in Sao Paulo (Brazil)
2. Men’s doubles title in Brazil Open 2017 was won by Rogerio Dutra Silva and Andra Sa
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India’s longest cable-stayed bridge in Bharuch, Gujarat. It is 1.4-kilometer long four-lanes bridge over the river Narmada. It has 216 cables of 25-40 metres length. It is 21 meters wide, having a 17.4-metre wide four-lane road, a three-metre wide footpath. The bridge was built by Larsen and Toubro (L&T) as a part of 6 laning project of the NHAI (National Highways Authority of India) and was completed well ahead of its schedule. It will ease the traffic flow on the Ahmedabad-Mumbai National Highway ( Section of NH 8) Pwhich is considered to be one of the busiest in India. Previously, the record for being India’s longest extra dosed bridge was Nivedita Sedhu, Hoogly ( West Bengal )
4. The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) was ranked 8th in the top 10 of Times Higher Education’s (THE) Best Small Universities-2017 global rankings. IISc was only the Indian university to feature in the list of 20. It is also the second-highest ranked Asian University.
5. The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has launched a mobile application named ‘Exam Locator’ to help students appearing for class 10th and 12th examinations to locate their exam centres. It will help students to quickly know the exam centre on the basis of their roll number. Student can easily find the address, geolocation and images of the designated centre on the map.
6. According to Financial Times, China’s banking system has overtaken the Eurozone to become the world’s largest by assets. It indicates both, China’s increased influence in world finance and its reliance on debt to drive growth since the 2009 global financial crisis.
7. Manipur High Court has declared four month long economic blockade called by United Naga Council (UNC) as illegal. The court passed the order on public interest litigation and directed the authorities to deal with those supporting the blockade according to the law. The UNC cadres had blocked key national highways (number 2 and 37) connecting Manipur with rest of the northeast region since November 2016. It had completely stopped normal movement of vehicles ferrying essential items, severely affecting the normal life in the state. The UNC was protesting against creation of seven new districts in the state, citing that it will bifurcate ancestral land of the Naga people.
8. The first smart tribal model village ‘Hubbi’ was inaugurated at Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir. It was inaugurated by the Jammu and Kashmir Minister for Food, Civil Supplies, and Consumer Affairs Chowdhary Zulfkar Ali. The village was developed by Rural Development Department of the State Government. The smart tribal village has been introduced with smart classes in the schools, better roads, electricity and water facilities.
9. GMR’s Hyderabad International Airport ranked 1st in the world in the prestigious Airports Council International (ACI)-Airport Service Quality (ASQ) survey in the 5-15 million passengers per annum (MPPA) category in 2016.
10. The two-day International Yoga fest was held at Talkatora stadium in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu. It was organised by Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga in association with the Indian Yoga associations.
11. The national conference on Jal Kranti Abhiyan was held in New Delhi. The main four important components of Jal Kranti Abhiyan were Development of Model Command Area, Jal Gram Yojana, Pollution Abatement and Mass Awareness Programme.
12. The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has launched the web portal for obtaining Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) clearances.
13. The Indo -Nepal Joint Military exercise Surya Kiran XI commenced on 7th March 2017 at Pithoragrah, Uttarahand
14. The European Union launched the fifth satellite of Copernicus Observation Program from European’s space craft in New Guinea. The Sentinel – 2B satellite is a part of Sentinel Earth Observation satellites , a system of satellites that monitors Earth
15. President Pranab Mukherjee presented Nari shakti Purashkar Award 2016 in New Delhi on the occassion of International’s Women’s day . Some of the awardees are Scientists Anatta Sonney, B Codanayaguy and Subbhu Varier and many more.
16. International Women’s day ( March 8) is celebrated world wide.The theme of 2017 is Women in the Changing World of Work : Planet 50-50 by 2030
17. Viola Davis ( Oscar Winner )was honoured as the Harvard foundation’s “Artist of the Year 2017 “Award at Harvard’s 32nd Cultural Rhythms festival in Cambridge.
18. The Leader’s Summit in Commemoration of 20th Anniversary of the Indian Ocean Rim Association concluded in Jakarta, Indonesia.In the Summit India was represented by Vice President Hamid Ansari
19. Bolywood Actress Aishwarya Rai won Best Actress Award at the International Film Festival and Awards of Australia ( IFFAA) for her role in the movie” Sarbjit “
20. The Upper house of the British Parliament , The House Of Lords called for a meaningful Parliamentary vote on the final terms of Brexit Bill.