1. The Union Cabinet approved setting up of National Commission for Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (NSEBC) as a constitutional body. In this regard, constitutional amendment bill for amending Constitution mainly by insertion of Article 338B will be soon introduced in the Parliament. Composition of the new NSEBC will include Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and three other Members. Insertion of provision after Article 341 and 342 by inserting Article 342 A to provide for Parliament’s approval for every inclusion into and exclusion from the Central List of Other Backward Class (OBCs). Insertion of a new Clause (26C) under Article 366 of the Constitution to define Socially and Educationally Backward Classes; Repealing of National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993 and Rules framed under it. Dissolution of the Commission constituted under the Act of 1993
2. Union Cabinet has approved proposal for amending National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act, 1981. NABARD is an apex development bank in India. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) holds the majority stake in it. Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra. Established: 1982 on the recommendations of Shivaraman Committee to implement the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act, 1981.
3. The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-ln) and the US Homeland Security Department on cooperation in the field of Cyber Security. The MoU was signed in January 2017 in New Delhi. It intends to promote closer co-operation and exchange of information pertaining to the Cyber Security between both strategic partners in accordance with the relevant laws, rules and regulations and on the basis of equality, mutual benefit and reciprocity.
4. Assam Government launched Sustainable Action for Climate Resilient Development (SaCReD) Initiative to develop Majuli, the world’s largest river island, as the country’s first carbon neutral district. It was launched by state Chief Minister Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on the occasion of International Day of Forests (observed on March 21).
5. The Union Cabinet has approved the amendment to Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009. The amendment seeks to ensure all teachers, in position as on March 2015, acquire minimum qualifications prescribed by academic authority to extend period for such training for 4 years up to March 2019.
6. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved North East Road Network Connectivity Project (NERNCP) Phase I for development of 403 kms of National Highways in Meghalaya and Mizoram. Out of total 403 km, approximately 351 km will be in developed in Mizoram and 52 km in Meghalaya. The project will be executed in EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) Mode. The work for development of two lane standards under the scheme NERNCP Phase I will be financially supported by loan assistance from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). The Rajya Sabha has passed HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2014. The Bill seeks to safeguard the rights of people living with HIV and affected by HIV. It aims to prevent social stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV (PLHIV). It also seeks to strengthen legal accountability and establish formal mechanisms for inquiring into complaints and redressing grievances to probe discrimination complaints against those who discriminate against PLHIV.
7. The assembly of Gujarat state has passed bills for the establishment of four private and two government run universities in the state.
8. Haryana introduced the system of e-vetting of replies to be filed in the court , as well as to generate and deliver custody certificates online.
9. Scientists have developed an ultra thin coating material that will potentially improve the efficiency and enhance the life of Lithium-Sulphur batteries
10. The Supreme Court of India constituted committee to explore a technical solution to block videos of sexual offences on social networking sites.
11. 86th Martyrdom day was celebrated on 23rd March 2017 in India. On this occasion we remembered the freedom fighters martyr Bhaghat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev
12. 2017 Special Olympic winter games is going to host by Austria
13. The Theme of World Meteorological day 2017 is “Understanding Clouds”
14. 5th Rashtriya Sanskrit Mahotsav (RSM) 2017 was organized in North East India.
15. Ninth Gorkhas regiment of Indian Army celebrated 200 years of their regiment in March 2017
16. China’s coastal sea level hit record high in 2016
17. Ankur Khanna was appointed as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of ICC
18. The expanded VIKALP scheme will be available to railway passengers from 1st April 2017
19. Five Indian Cities were tentatively included in the UNESCO World Heritage sites list are Ahmedabad, Delhi, Jaipur, Mumbai and Bhubaneshwar