1. The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of the Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Georgia. The Agreement is based on latest International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) template keeping in view of developments in Civil Aviation sector. Its objective is to improve the air connectivity between the two countries. Presently there is no ASA between both countries. ASA is the basic legal framework for any air operation between the two countries.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved MoU between India and Bangladesh for fairway development on two stretches. They are Ashuganj-Zakiganj stretch of Kushiyara river and Sirajganj-Daikhawa stretch of Jamuna river. It will be implemented mainly in the Indo-Bangladesh protocol route by undertaking necessary dredging jointly by the two countries. The MoU will considerably help to reduce the logistics cost of cargo movement to North Eastern states of India. It will also reduce the dependence and congestion through the narrow Siliguri Chicken’s Neck corridor.
3. The Union Cabinet has approved MoU between India and France to implement Technical Cooperation Program in civil aviation sector. It was signed between the Airports Authority of India (AAI) and its French counterpart, Civil Aviation Authority (DGAC), France. The Technical Cooperation Program will be beneficial for enhancement of skills and expertise of AAI’s officers. It will be also beneficial for imparting training of engineers, technicians, managers etc.
4. The Union Cabinet has approved MoU between India and Bangladesh in the field of judicial sector cooperation. It aims at developing, promoting and strengthening mutual cooperation between judiciaries of the two countries. It will also facilitate promoting mutual interaction among judges and officials at various levels of judiciary through exchange visits, training and academic programmes. It will also encourage mutual exchange of information on latest developments in field of law and justice. It will enable exchange of knowledge in infrastructure and information technology (IT) in this field.
5. The Union Cabinet has approved MoU on passenger cruise services on the coastal and protocol routes between India and Bangladesh. It will facilitate starting a regular movement of passengers and tourists in water crafts between the two countries. The MoU will promote people to people (P2P) contact and cooperation between the both countries in respect of economic, social and cultural advancement. It will also generate employment opportunities for the people of both neighbouring countries.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved closure of the Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana (MGPSY). The scheme was launched in 2012 to address the social security-related issues of the Emigration Check Required (ECR)-category workers going abroad for employment to ECR countries. The scheme was closed because subscription under it was very low and no new subscription was received for more than a year. The closure of the scheme will obviate the avoidable recurring administrative and record-keeping expenditure.
7. Renowned playback singer, actor and music director S.P. Bala Subramanyam was awarded the NTR National Film Award for 2012. Besides, Hindi film actress Hema Malini was awarded the same award for the year 2013. The NTR National Award is an annual award that recognizes individuals for their lifetime achievements and contributions to the Cinema of India. It is an honorary Nandi Award in the honour of film Actor, director, producer, and politician (late) N.T. Rama Rao who also had served as the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. It carries a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh and a citation.
8. Noted author and filmmaker Ajey Jhankar(67) passed away. He was known for his novels such as Sarkarnama and Drohpar. The movie ‘Singularity’ by film makar Roland Joffe was based on his novel ‘Drohparv’. He was the co-screenwriter for the film. He was also known for his marketing venture ‘Market Missionaries.
9. The Union Government has appointed Girish Shankar, Secretary of the Department of Heavy Industry as chairman of newly constituted National Board of Electric Mobility (NBEM). NBEM aims to promote electric mobility and manufacturing of electric (& hybrid) vehicles and their components. It examines, formulates and proposes short- as well as long-term plans and contours of the mission programme on electric mobility, its objectives and roles and responsibilities of the various stakeholders. The NBEM will propose and recommend policy guidelines, interventions and possible strategies needed for promoting electric mobility and for encouraging manufacture of electric vehicles in the country.
10. Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli was honoured as the Wisden’s Leading Cricketer in the World for the year 2016. Besides, he already has been declared Wisden India Almanack’s Cricketer of the Year for the second time in its 2017 edition. Apart from him, Ellyse Perry from Australia was named for Wisden Leading Woman Cricketer in the World for 2016. The Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World is an annual cricket award selected by Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack.
11. The India- United Arab Emirates (UAE) cultural celebrations festival was launched at Abu Dhabi with a tribute video featuring both Mahatma Gandhi and late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. The programme supported by the Ministry of Culture and Knowledge Development, UAE and the Indian Business and Professional Group. India-UAE Cultural Celebrations celebrates the long-standing relationship between the two countries and looks to strengthen existing cultural and economic ties.The initiative proposes to bring some of the diversity of India to the UAE by bringing artists from both the countries on the same platform to work and collaborate.
12.The 2017 National conference on Communicating India was held in New Delhi. It was organized by the Vivekananda International Foundation (VIF) in collaboration with the India Media Centre, University of Westminster, London, Nehru Memorial Museum and Library and Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) with the association of Prasar Bharati. The three main themes of the conference were ‘Telling India’s story to the world’, ‘Communicating via Journalism’ and ‘Dialogue with Diaspora’.
13.The Union Cabinet has cleared approved setting up an independent rail regulator, named Rail Development Authority (RDA). It will be based in Delhi and will be set up through an executive order. It will be responsible for recommending passenger fares, setting performance standards for rail operations and creating level playing policy for private sector participation. Primary functions: (i) Tariff determination: (ii) Ensuring fair play: (iii) Setting standards:
14. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved extension of the implementation phase of the Crime and Criminals Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) Project for another year beyond 31 March 2017. The proposal in this regard was forwarded by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs. The extension will help in achieving the remaining objectives of the project comprehensively. CCTNS is a mission mode project under the National e-Governance Plan of Central Government that aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing by adopting of principle of e-Governance.
15.The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of the Collaborative Agreement with French National Research Agency (ANR), France. The MoU will be signed for supporting the Belmont Forum Secretariat from January, 2015 to December, 2017 at a total estimated expenditure of 40,000 Euros. The Cabinet also approved continued financial support to Belmont Forum Secretariat beyond 2017. Belmont Forum is a high level group of the world’s major and emerging funders of global environmental change research and international science councils. It was established in 2009. Members: India, Australia, Brazil, Canada, European Commission, France, Germany, Japan, Netherland, South Africa, UK and US etc. India is represented by the Union Ministry of Earth Science (MoES) since 2012.
16. Scientists from the University of Kerala have discovered a new species of long-legged, tree-dwelling crabs named Kani maranjandu in Western Ghats of Kerala. It has been named after the Kani tribe in Kerala and are substantially different from other congeners (organisms within the same genus).
17. The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU between India and Australia on cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine. The MoU will involve cooperation through joint initiatives in the Health Sector and strengthen bilateral ties between both countries. The main areas of Co- operation are Communicable diseases such as Tuberculosis and Malaria. Non-Communicable Diseases and Mental Health,Anti-Microbial Resistance and responding to public health emergencies. Regulation of vaccines, pharmaceuticals and medical devices. Digital Health,Tobacco Control Any other area of cooperation decided mutually by both countries.
18. The Union Cabinet has approved the agreement on Audio Visual Co-Production India and Bangladesh. Decision in this regard was taken at the Union Cabinet Meeting chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. It will cover co-production of films, animations and documentary films. An audio-visual co-production made under it, will be entitled to all the benefits which may be accorded to any national audio-visual work by both countries in accordance with their respective laws and regulations.
19. The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU on Cooperation in the field of Mass Media between India and Bangladesh. Decision in this regard was taken at the Union Cabinet Meeting chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. Both countries will facilitate training and study tour of personnel in the field of mass media and public relations. They will encourage the exchange of experts in the field of Mass Media
20. South Korea successfully test fired a home developed ballistic missile recently that can hit any part of North Korea
21. NASA announced a three month extension to the space term of this international space station crew member “Peggy Whitson “
22. Uttar Pradesh government is planned to set up 6 AIIMS like institutes and 25 medical colleges in next 5 years
23. Raman Roy, the CMD of Quattro recently appointed as the Chairman of National Association of Software and Services Company
24. Mahesh Kumar Jain assumed the charge of Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of IDBI Bank
25. International Day of Sport for Development and Peace ( IDSDP) was observed across the world on 6th April 2017