Prepared by D.Sarala
1. India has been elected as the President of UN habitat for the third time after 2007 and 1988 to lead United Nations Human Settlements Programme. Un Habitat came into being in 1978.Mr. Venkaiah Naidu chaired the 26th Governing Council Meeting held at Nairobi, Kenya. The theme of the four day meeting of 58 member nations is “ Opportunities for effective implementation of the New Urban Agenda.”
2. The logo and mascot of the Asian Athletics Championship were released by Naveen Patnaik ( Odisha CM). The Championship is scheduled to be held from 6th to 9th July 2017 at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar. The logo depicts an athlete crossing the finishing line with historical tourist attractions of Odisha. Olive Ridley , the sea turtle is chosen as the mascot which annually migrates to the coastal Odisha for mass nesting.. The mascot is named as “OLLY “.
3. India hopes to pursue a strategic partnership with Japan for regional peace and stability said by Mr. Arun Jaitely to his Japanese Counterpart Tomomi Inada during the annual Asian development Bank meeting held at Japan on 7th May 2017
4. N’Golo Kante ( French Professional Footballer) has won the 2017 Footballer of the year award by Football Writers’ Association. He will receive this prestigious accolade FWA at gala dinner in London on 18th May 2017.
5. The UN General Assembly invited all its organizations, Member States,NGO’s and individuals to observe 8-9 May in an appropriate manner to pay tribute to all the victims of the second world war.
6. The Union Minister Rajnath Singh has released a doctrine named “SAMADHAN “ when the Union Govt is being questioned on its agenda and plan to tackle the menace of Maoists or left wing extremism during its review meeting of left wing affected states.These questions were aroused after 25 CRPF jawans were killed by Maoists in an ambush in Burkapal , Sukma district of Chhattisgarh. This new doctrine “SAMADHAN “ has 8 pillars.They are
1. S- Smart Leadership
2. A-Aggressive strategy
3. M-Motivation and Training
4. A-Actionable Intelligence
5. D-Dashboard based KPIs(Key Performance Indicators)
6. H-Harnessing Technology
7. A-Action Plan for each Theatre
8. N-No access to Financing
7. The National Book Trust (NBT) is going to host book fair at Panchayat level in all the states , starting with Maoists hit areas of Chhattisgarh.
8. Justice C S Karnan is the first High Court Judge( Kolkata) to be sentenced to 6 months imprisonment for his repeated incidents of contempt of court. This was released by the Supreme Court Bench headed by Chief Justice of India JS Khehar
9. More than 50000 people were evacuated from German City of Hanover after the discovery of multiple unexploded World War II bombs.
10. Ahmedabad (Gujarat) is going to host a mega event on the occasion of International Yoga day celebrations on June 21.This year Singapore is going to host its first edition of
“ International Yoga Day “at about 50 locations across the country.
11. Indian Women team’s fast bowler Julan Goswami became the highest wicket-taker in the history of Women’s One Day International’s.She broke the decade long record of Cathryn Fitzpatrick(Australia)
12. International Court of Justice (Hague) stayed the execution of Indian national Kulbhushan Jadhav who was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court for alleged spying.
13. PM Modi will be visiting Colombo to attend International day of Vesak festival ( Buddha Poornima)that is going to held from 12-14 May. This is the first time Sri Lanka is hosting this festival.
14. May 10 –World Migratory bird Day with the theme (2017) “ Their Future is our Future – A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and people.”
15. Moon Jae -in( Democratic party ) was sworn in as South Korea’s President in a ceremony at the National Assembly Seoul.
16. Madhavan Nair Rajeevan , Secretary ( Ministry of Earth Sciences ) announced that India has decided to replace Maitri research at Antartica within next 3 -4 years .
17. 65 –episode biopic series on Baba Ramdev will be aired on Discovery’s JEET, an entertainment channel (First Hindi Channel ) that will be rolled out by the end of 2017
18. Minister of Sports, Vijay Goel has flagged off four Clean Himalayan Expeditions and a Mountaineering Expedition to Mt Satopanth (7075Mts) at Indian Mountaineering Foundation in New Delhi.
19. Konkana Sen Sharma has won the best director award for her directorial debut “ A death in the Gunj and the best actress award for Lipstick Under My Burkha at 2017 New York Indain Film Festival.
20. Sanjay Mitra appointed as Defence Secretary he will succeed G Mohan Kumar who his going to complete his tenure on 24th May 2017.This is his first posting in Defence Ministry . He belongs to 1982 IAS Batch .
21. The 29th edition of Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT)begins at Port Blair between India and Indonesia on 9th May 2017 under the aegis of Andaman and Nicobar Command. This will enhance the mutual understanding and inter operability between the navies of the two countries. The Indonesian Naval Ship KRI Sutedi Senoputra arrived at Port Blair to mark the commencement of 29th series of IND-INDO CORPAT . The closing ceremony is planned at Belawan, Indonesia from 22 to 25th May 2017.
22. PM Modi launched the integrated case management system of the Supreme Court at a function held at New Delhi. This move is the apex’s court first step towards becoming a paperless digital court.
23. Twitter has promoted its business head Taranjeet Singh to the position of Country’s Director for India.
24. Rajasthan Government is going to launch distruict level action plans to reduce infant mortality rate in the state . The IMR in Rajasthan is 32 / 1000 live births.The action plan aims to reduce IMR to 12/ 1000 by 2030
25. Indian Wrestler Harpreet Singh won a bronze medal in the Greco –Roman Weight divisions on the Opening day of the Asian Wrestling Championship in New Delhi. He defeated China’s Jun Ji Na in 80 kg category.
26. ICC confirmed that Shashank Manohar will continue his function as independent Chairman of ICC till June 2018.
27. China is preparing to send men to live on the moon by testing out its space cabin in Beijing.
28. India –Russia Intergovernmental Commission held in New Delhi and they agreed to closely work to take forward many of the collaborative ideas in diverse fields like space, nuclear disaster management, trade and economy ,etc.
29. May 11-National Technology Day with the theme 2017 “Technology for inclusive and sustainable growth “. The day is celebrated to commemorate the anniversary of Pokhran nuclear test in 1998
30.23 transgender workers were employed at Kochi Metro Rail and they will be employed at 11 stations in Kochi Metro Aluva-Palarivattom Corridor.