1. Indian origin Leo-Vardarkar (38) who came out as gay in 2015 became the youngest PM of Ireland
2. The Union Cabinet has approved proposal to introduce financial resolution and deposit insurance bill 2017. This bill aims at providing a comprehensive framework for specified financial sector entities to deal with bankruptcy situation in banks, insurance companies and financial sector entities.
3. World Bank granted$520 Million to boost the economy of Afghanistan. World Bank has stated that the six cash grants including money from Denmark, Germany and Japan will help the Afghan Government “ at a time of un certainty whren risks to the economy are significant.”
4. The Union Cabinet has approved the Interest Subvention to banks on short term crop loan to farmers. T his scheme will help farmers to get crop loan for Rs. 3 lakhs payable within one year at only 4% per annum. The Government has allocated a sum of Rs 20339 Crore for the purpose.
5. India’s antitrust watch dog has imposed a fine of $ 13.6 million on South Korean automaker Hyundai co’s local unit , accusing the company of anti- competitive behavior
6. The Union Cabinet has approved a MoU signed between India and Palestine on agricultural Co-operation.
7. The Union Health Ministry have launched intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight . It aims to create mass awareness about the most effective and low- cost diarrhoea treatment that is a combination of Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) solution and Zinc Tablets.
8. According to the ‘One Family at a Time’ study conducted by the UN International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Top Remittance Receiving Countries: India (USD 62.7 billion), China (USD 61 billion), the Philippines (USD 30 billion) and Pakistan (USD 20 billion). Around 80% of the remittances across the world are received by 23 countries such as India, China, the Philippines, Mexico and Pakistan. Top Remittance Sending Countries: US, Saudi Arabia and Russia. These countries account for almost half of annual flow of remittances.
9. India and South Korea has signed an agreement for $10 billion assistance for infrastructure development projects in India, including smart cities
10. Israeli author David Grossman has won the Man Booker International Prize for his novel “A Horse Walks Into a Bar“. David Grossman has become the first Israeli author to win the Man Booker International Prize. He will share the £50,000 ($64,000) award money with his translator Jessica Cohen.
11. Law expert Neeru Chadha has been elected to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Seas (ITLOS). With this election, she has become the first Indian women to win a crucial election to a top UN judicial body that deals with disputes related to the law of the sea. Neeru has become the first Indian woman to be appointed as a judge at the ITLOS. Neeru has also earned a distinction of becoming the second Indian woman to occupy a top position at the United Nations after Lakshmi Pandit who served as the President of the United Nations General Assembly.
12.The Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies, Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum has have signed the joint venture agreement to jointly set up the world’s largest refinery and petrochemical complex in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. The new complex will have a 60 million tonnes refining capacity. The complex would come up at Babulwadi, Rajapur in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra located very close to the West coast. Being on the West coast will be helpful in easily sourcing the crude oil from the Middle-East, Africa and South America.