1. A recent study published by “ The Journal of Experimental Medicine “ in July 2017 has unveiled that a commonly used drug for malaria “ hydroxychloroquine” can effectively block the Zika virus from crossing the placenta and getting into the foetus and damaging its brain . It can be used by pregnant women also since it has the approval.
2. The Telangana government has imposed a cap on the weight of bags carried by the school children ( from class 1-10) in order to prevent any resulting physical effect and anxiety disorder in students. The maximum weight should not exceed - for class 1& 2 - 1.5 kg, for classes 3 to 5 should be 2-3 kg, for class 6 & 7 it should be 4 kg, For class 8 & 9 it should be 4.5 Kg and for class 10 it should be 5kg. It also added there should not be any homework given to students of classes 1 to 5
3. India’s largest commercial bank , the State Bank of India (SBI) on 18 July , 2017 launched a dedicated portal “ SBI realty “ with an aim to help home buyers to chose flats from its 3000 approved projects across the country.
4. International Swimming Federation ( FINA) took the decision about the host cities of both Short Course swimming championships in a meeting at Budapest. The Chinese city of Hangzhou is set to host the short course swimming championship in 2018, Abu Dhabi will be the host in 2020, Russian city of Kazan in 2022 and Hungarian city of Budapest in 2024 respectively.
5. Department of Bio-Technology was formally launched an indigenously developed new born hearing screening device “ SOHUM “at Prithvi Bhavan, New Delhui on 17th July, 2017
6. July 18 – Nelson Mandela International Day was observed globally to commemorate the great South African anti-apartheid revolutionary , politician and philanthropist.
7. Shri Venkaiah Naidu was named as NDA’s Vice presidential candidate against Gopalkrishna Gandhi for the vice presidential election 2017 which is to be held on 5th Aug 2017
8. The Right of Children for free and compulsory education ( Amendment ) bill is scheduled to be brought for consideration and passage in Lok sabha on 18th July, 2017.
9. Smriti Irani replaces Venkaiah Naidu as Information and Broadcasting Minister as her additional charge.
10. Martin Landau(89) , the Oscar Winning actor who acted in many films such as Tim Burtons Ed Wood was passed away on July 15, 2017
11. The Bank of England has unveiled a new 10- pound plastic note featuring a portrait of Jane Austin, British Novelist at the Winchester Cathedral , the place where she was buried .
12. TR Zeliang ( 19th CM ) was appointed as the new Chief minister of Nagaland , as Shurhozelie Liezietsu and 9 ruling Naga People’s Front legislators failed to appear for the floor test.
13. The Madhya Pradesh State education center has started “Shala Siddhi Prohastan Yojana “ in 25000 schools across the state to encourage their best works. They are also in the process of implementing “Hamara Shala Kaisi Ho “and “ Shala Siddhi Karyakram “ programmes in all govt schools of the state in order to provide quality education to the students.
14. Tata motors rolled out the country’s first Bio-CNG ( bio-methane) bus . The bus was rolled out at the Bio-energy programme called “Urja Utsav “ which was organisded by Ministry of Petroleum and Natural gas .
15. New species of bird like dinosaur was identified in Canada that lived nearly 71 million years ago. The species was named as Albertavenator curriei which means Currie’s Alberta hunter . The species which was found in Alberta has been named in honor of famous Canadian paleontologist Philip J. Currie.
16. According to recent study, ghost nets (abandoned, lost or dumped fishing nets) have emerged as the greatest killers of the marine ecosystem off Kerala coast. There are four types of ghost nets that infest the bottom of the seas. The first are the large fishing vessels that stray into the territorial waters and deploy large nets. The second type of ghost nets are smaller and are used by fishermen, but are cut off by a passing vessel. They too drift at the bottom of the ocean floor and get attached to the rough features there. The third type of ghost nets are those that get caught in violent currents and swivel down to the ocean floor, where they get stuck. The fourth type are ghost nets are those which get abandoned at sea after three or four uses. These nets remain under water for decades if not centuries.
17. United States Navy successfully tested the world’s first-ever active Laser Weapons System (LaWS). It is primarily intended to take on drones, aircraft, and small vessels that could be used in an attack.
18. The Supreme Court has allowed the Union Government to replace the oversight committee set up to supervise the functioning of the Medical Council of India (MCI) with a fresh panel of five eminent doctors. The committee was led by former Chief Justice of India R.M. Lodha.
19. The United States has imposed new economic sanctions against Iran over its ballistic missile programme and for contributing to regional tensions. Those sanctioned mainly targets Iran for developing drones and military equipment, producing and maintaining boats, and procuring electronic components.
20. Britain’s first woman Sikh MP Preet Kaur Gill was elected to Home Affairs Select Committee in the UK Parliament. She will be one of 11 MPs on the cross-party home affairs committee.
21. Scientists from ETH Zurich in Switzerland have developed a 3D-printed soft silicone heart that closely resembles and functions like the human organ. It is not exact biological replica of the actual, but can help to save lives of people who suffer from cardiac failure. It can be also used as an artificial heart in cases when patient is awaiting a heart transplant.
22. Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) for the first time in its trading history has crossed Rs 5 lakh crore in market capitalization.
23. Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won 2017 British Grand prix. It was his overall fifth British Grand Prix title.
24. NASA Langley Research Centre turns 100 years old of its establishment on 17th July 2017 . On this occasion NASA released a 45 minutes documentary that looks back across the 100 years.
25. Bharat Arun was appointed as the new bowling coach of team India by the Board of Control for cricket in India on 18th July 2017.
26. India launched a solar project to electrify remote villages of Agaween in Egypt , this project was inaugurated by India’s ambassador to Egypt Sanjay Bhattacharya and Major general Alla Fathi Abou Zeid, Governor of Matrouh.
27. The Maharashtra Government on 18 July 2017 approved a revised policy of the “ Majhi Kanya Bhagyashree” scheme in an attempt to improve girl child ratio in the state.
28. PM Modi will be inaugurating the memorial for former Indian President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam at his birth place Peikarumbu near Rameshwaram on 27th July 2017.
29. A star locating just 11 light years away from earth is sending out the strange radio signals were detected scientists on 12 May 2017 by using the Arecibo Observatory , a large telescope located in Puerto Rico . These strange signals are coming from Ross 128 (a little red dwarf star)was confirmed.
30.The GST council on 17 July 2017 increased the compensation cess rate on cigarettes to make the total tax incidence on cigarettes in GST regime at par with the total tax included in pre-GST regime. This move will raise the prices of cigarettes.