1. Software giant Microsoft has launched Project Brainwave, a deep learning acceleration platform for real-time artificial intelligence (AI). It can processes requests as fast as it receives them with the help of ultra-low latency.
2. “Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN)”, a flagship regional flying scheme to attract more airlines and helicopter operators to participate in regional connectivity scheme ( RCS) has been announced by the Union Civil Aviation Ministry. The UDAN Scheme aims at providing connectivity to un-served and under-served airports of the country through revival of existing airstrips and airports. It aims to develop the regional aviation market and make flying affordable.
3. According to Japanese scientists, delicate mosses found on rocks and trees in cities around the world can be used as low-cost bio indicator to monitor urban pollution and to measure the impact of atmospheric change. Mosses respond to pollution or drought-stress by changing its shape, density or disappearing.This characteristic will allow scientists to calculate atmospheric alterations and air pollution.
4. The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry has constituted a Task Force on Artificial Intelligence (AI) for India’s Economic Transformation headed by Dr. V. Kamakoti of IIT Madras. The Task force will explore the possibilities to leverage AI for development across various fields. It will submit concrete and implementable recommendations for government, industry and research institutions.
5. The Parliamentary Standing Committee has recommended that no genetically modified (GM) crop should be introduced unless the biosafety and socio-economic desirability is evaluated in a transparent process.
6. Scientists from (CSIR-NIIST), Thiruvananthapuram have developed new technique to produce bio-ethanol from discarded cotton-stalks using both chemical and biological processes.
7. The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has given approval to Spice Digital Ltd. for processing bill payments under the Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) as a Bharat Bill Payment Operating Unit (BBPOU).
8. Based on the recommendations of Directorate General of Antidumping and Allied Duties (DGAD, the Union Finance Ministry’s Revenue Department has imposed a five year anti-dumping duty on Sodium Nitrite imports from China.
9. A newly developed biosensor that can accurately measure both the pH and urea concentration with a single drop of urine and makes it possible to detect kidney disorders in less than eight minutes was jointly developed by researchers from Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT), Bombay and Indore.
10. The 2018 International Table Tennis Federation Team World Cup will be staged at the iconic Copper Box Arena in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park from 22nd Feb - 25th Feb 2018
11. Qatar who denied all allegations of Arab bloc, has weathered the boycott and established diplomatic relations with Iran.
12. The Government of Brazil abolished a vast national reserve in the Amazon to open up the area to mining.
13. Cristiano Ronaldo( Real Madrid’s ) won UEFA Men’s player of the year award .and Lieke Martens was named 2016-17 UEFA Women’s player of the year award
14. Union Government inaugurated the production of Light Combat Helicopter ( 5.8 tonne) at HAL to provide fire support to the army at mountainous deployment areas on the northern borders which can be as high as 6000 m.
15. India won South Asian Foot ball Federation U-15 Championship at the ANFA Complex, Satdobato, Nepal by defeating Nepal. Bangladesh and Bhutan captured third and fourth place respectively.
16. Union Government has restricted imports of gold and silver items from South Korea in a bid to check the surge in imports of precious metals from the country.
17. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has launched a grid connected roof top solar programme through a net- metering system at the State Secretariat in the capital city of Bhubaneswar to increase its capacity of generating renewable energy.
18. The agriculture department of Karnataka has signed an MoU with software giant Microsoft India to develop a unique “farm price forecasting model “ that will help farmers of the state understand the market behavior in advance.
19. The Union Government has notified the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Act, 2017. The Parliament had approved the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017 which replaced an ordinance in this regard. It amended the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 by adding provisions for handling cases related to stressed assets or non-performing assets (NPAs) of banks.
20. The Canadian Government has announced that citizens who do not identify with a particular gender , whether male or female would soon be able to obtain gender neutral passports. The citizens would mark X in the space of gender on their passports and other identity documents.
21. The DRDO has signed Rs.17,000 crore deal with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for producing advanced medium—range surface to air missile (MRSAM) system for Indian Army by 2020. The deal envisages developing 40 firing units and around 200 missiles.\
22. Justice Dipak Misra (64) sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India (CJI). He was administered the oath of office by President Ram Nath Kovind at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
23. The Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) launched country’s first Videsh Bhavan by assimilating all Regional Passport Offices and allied departments under a single roof at the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) in Mumbai, Maharashtra is expected to cut costs besides ensuring improving efficiency and speeding up the delivery of various services. Currently, 90-plus RPOs and PoEs across the country function from rented offices.
24. PM Modi asked people to undertake the “ cleanliness is service “ for “Swachchata Hi Seva “ campaign to promote the creation of an environment of cleanliness while marking the third anniversary of “Swachch Bharat Programme “
25. Nitasha Biswas from Kolkatta was crowned as “first Miss Trans Queen India” at the competition held in Gurugram, Haryana.
26. Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One (F1) held at Circuit de Spa- Francorchamps Stavelot, Belgium.
27. Nozomi Okuhara of Japan won the World Badminton Championship held at Emirates Arena in Glasgow, Scotland . India’s PV Sindhu won silver. This was the third medal for her.
28. Kerala Government has launched e-waste disposal in its State’s schools with about 12500 kg being disposed statewide on a single day under a programme aimed at clearing the accumulated junk.
29. The Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) of the Ministry of Earth Sciences inaugurated the Ocean Forecasting System for Indian Ocean countries Comoros, Madagascar, and Mozambique at the 3rd Ministerial Meeting of Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Asia and Africa (RIMES) held at Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
30. The Indian Commodity Exchange (ICEX) has launched world’s first diamond futures contracts after receiving approval from market regulator Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to provide exporters with a hedging tool. India is a global diamond polishing hub where 14 out of every 15 rough diamonds in the world are polished. The futures contracts will enable companies involving in cut and polished gems business to better hedge price risks. ICEX has to commence trading with diamond futures contracts.
31. A NASA rocket mission named “ WINDY “ will form night-time white artificial clouds visible by residents of the Republic of Marshall Islands during two rocket flights between 29 August 2017 and 9 September 2017 . This mission will study a phenomenon that occurs in the Ionosphere , alayer of charged particles in the upper atmosphere.
32. Ending the bitter standoff of 70 days over Doklam , India and china agreed to withdraw their troops from the border region by diplomatic talks on 28th Aug,2017
33. Researchers at the University of Southern California have identified a noval variant within the previously identified family of proteins in HIV called “ Delta 20” an immune system protein that suppresses the most damaging HIV strains X4 by preventing the virus from infecting cells.