1. The State Govt of Maharashtra have launched the ‘Maharashtra Mission 1 Million’ initiative under which over 10 lakh students across the state will play football. The mission was launched in an attempt to support the FIFA U17 World Cup , which is happening for the first time in India and that too in Maharashtra.
2. A nation-wide fortnight-long sanitation campaign ‘Swachhta Hi Seva’ (cleanliness is service) has launched by the Union Government to highlight the government’s flagship cleanliness initiative Swachh Bharat Mission. It will run from September 15 to October 2, 2017. It was launched by President Ram Nath Kovind from Ishworiganj village in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
3. The developmental trials of indigenously developed Astra beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) was successfully conducted by the Indian Air Force (IAF) over the Bay of Bengal, off the coast of Chandipur in Odisha. Astra is air to air beyond visual range air-to-air indigenously developed by DRDO. It is one of the smallest weapon system developed by DRDO, having length of 3.8-metre and weighing 154kg. It is single stage solid fuelled missile and has payload capacity of 15 kg conventional explosives. Total of seven trials of Astra BVRAAM were conducted in various missions and two of them were against Pilotless Target Aircrafts (PTA) successfully fired from Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft. They were final development flight trials of the missile, paving way for its early induction into IAF.
4. September 16- World Ozone Day or The International Day for Preservation of Ozone Layer with the theme 2017 is ‘Caring for all life under the sun’.
5. The advanced towed artillery gun system (ATAGS) has set a world record in terms of range by hitting targets at distance of 48.074 km during trial firings at Pokhran, Rajasthan with special ammunition high explosive – base bleed” (HE – BB) developed by Kalyani Group.
6. India and Japan have signed a MoU to set up India Japan Act East Forum to enhance connectivity and promote developmental projects in Northeast India during Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s visit to India for the 12th Indo-Japan annual summit.
7. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has downgraded conservation status of snow leopard from “endangered” to “vulnerable” after 45 years. It was changed after three-year assessment process by international experts. However, experts have warned that snow leopard species still faces serious threats from poaching and habitat destruction.
8. The sole Marshal of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Arjan Singh (98) passed away following cardiac arrest in New Delhi.
9. India’s foreign exchange (Forex) reserves have crossed $400 billion mark for the first time. The increase was due sharp rise in foreign currency asset according to Reserve Bank of India (RBI). India is now at sixth position in forex reserves ranking .
10.Bacterial cells treated with a common antibiotic have been spotted changing shape to survive while aboard the International Space Station(ISS).