1. Amrit Pal Singh, captain of Indian Basket Ball Team created a history by becoming the first Indian to be signed by Australian Basketball Team. He will be a part of the Sydney Kings during their pre-season tour where they will also take on the game against Utah Jazz side.
2. The Union Environment Ministry on Sep 5th ,2017 launched an environment awareness initiative on the occasion of Teacher’s Day. Under the initiative, an online environmental quiz competition named Prakriti Khoj will be conducted at the National Level . This quiz will provide a uniform platform for students to measure their awareness level regarding environmental issues.
3. The leaders of all five BRICS nations including Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa convened for the 9th BRICS Summit on 4th Sep,2017 in Xiamen, China. The main theme of the summit was , “BRICS:Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future “. Xiamen declaration condemns Pak based terror groups.
4. The official song for the FIFA U-17 World Cup Football Tournament was formally launched on 4th Sep,2017 by the local organizing committee and Sony Pictures Networks India in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The Song, “Kar Ke Dikhla De Goal “ is written by the lyricist Amitabh Bhattacharya and is composed by Pritam.
5. BRICS Summit adopted documents on co-operation in areas of economy and trade, innovation and customs. The documents signed are aimed at improving and broadening co-operation mechanism and promoting industrial and technical upgradation to enhance economic complementarities.
6. The Union Ministry of Health and Family welfare on 5th Sep, 2017 have launched two new contraceptives in 10 states including Delhi, Maharashtra, UP, MP, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Haryana, West Bengal, AOdisha and Goa. An injectable contraceptive MPA under the ‘Antara ‘ Programme and a contraceptive pill ‘Chhaya’ in the public health system to expand the basket of contraceptive choices for couples.
7. Nitin Gadkari who assumed additional charge of water resources, has announced the formation of an inter –ministerial task force to speed up the implementation of Namami Ganga Mission.
8. Sep 5-Teachers Day celebrated every year to mark the birth anniversary of Dr. S. Radha Krishnan, who was also an academician and teacher.
9. Sep 5- International Day of Charity was observed globally to mark the death anniversary of mother Teresa. She was proclaimed as Saint by Pope Francis on 4th Sep,2016.
10. The Central Board of Direct taxes (CBDT) was honoured by Minister of State for Personnel Jitendra Singh for successfully resolving public grievances.
11. The Cell for IPR promotions and management ( CIPAM) which comes under aegis of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has launched social media campaign to promote Geographical Indications. The campaign will be promoted with #LetsTalkIP which is an ongoing movement initiated by CIPAM to make more people aware about the importance of intellectual property rights.
12. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has entered into four more Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) ( three unilateral and one bilateral ), pertaining to sectors like telecom, banking, manufacturing and education in August 2017. With this, total number of APAs entered into by CBDT has reached 175. This includes 162 unilateral APAs and 13 bilateral APAs.
13. President Ramnath Kovind laid foundation stone for link-4 of Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation Scheme (SAUNI) Yojana in Rajkot district, Gujarat .It is a is multipurpose project that aims to solve water problems of parched Saurashtra region of Gujarat.
14. The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) has issued an alert about spread of new ransomware (malicious software) ‘Locky’ that can lock computers and demand ransom for unlocking them.
15. According to international team of astronomers, using Hubble Space Telescope an earth-sized planets orbiting ultracool TRAPPIST-1 dwarf star may have substantial amounts of water and could be habitable.
16. The 12th edition of India-Nepal joint military exercise- Surya Kiran XII (14 day exercise (from 3 to 16 September 2017) was held at Nepal Army Battle School (NABS) in Saljhandi, Nepal which focused on skills required counter-terrorism and counter-terror, forest fighting and natural disaster management operations.
17. The Union Government has accepted recommendations of National Anomaly Committee (NAC) to maintain disability pension for defence forces in parity with civilians under 6th Central Pay Commission (CPC).
18. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has added HDFC Bank( the second largest private sector lender of country) as a third bank in the list of Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D-SIBs). State Bank of India (SBI) and ICICI Bank which were added in 2016 and continue to be in that category.