1. October 14 – World standards Day is observed every year to mark the development of voluntary engineering and scientific standards with the theme for year 2017 are “Standards make cities smarter”.
2. Audrey Azoulay (45), former French Culture Minister was elected as new Director General of UNESCO . With this she became the first Jewish Director of UNESCO.
3. The new Bureau of Indian standards (BIS) Act 2016 which was notified in March 2016 has brought into effect by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution. It aims to help in ease of doing business in country, enhance ‘Make In India’ campaign and ensure availability of quality products and services to the consumers. This act replaces the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986.
4. The world’s largest combustion research centre and one of best diagnostic centres in the country to understand combustion “National Centre for Combustion Research and Development (NCCRD)” was inaugurated at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras in Tamil Nadu. NCCRD is supported by state-run Science and Engineering Research Board (SERN) of Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology. It has been established at a total cost of Rs 90 crore. It will develop state-of-the-art capabilities in combustion research involving experts in the country.
5. The Supreme Court has asked Union Government to strike a balance between humanitarian concern for Rohingya community staying in India and country’s economic and national security interests.
6. 30th Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for 2015 -16 was won by Carnatic vocalist T M Krishna for his services in promoting and preserving national integration in the country. He will be presented with the honour by Congress president Sonia Gandhi on October 31, 2017 Indira Gandhi’s death anniversary.
7. October 15 – International day of rural Women is observed every year to recognize the crucial role and contribution of rural women. The 2017 theme of the day is “Challenges and opportunities in climate-resilient agriculture for gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls”.
8. October 16 – World Food Day is observed every year to mark foundation of Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations in 1945. The theme for the year 2017 is “Change the future of migration. Invest in food security and rural development.”
9. Indigenously-built anti-submarine warfare stealth corvette INS Kiltan was commissioned an into the Indian Navy at the Eastern Naval Command (Naval Dockyard) in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. It is India’s first major warship to have a superstructure of carbon fibre composite material resulting in improved stealth features, lower top weight and maintenance costs.INS Kiltan is third of four Kamorta-class corvettes being built under Project 28 after Shivalik Class, Kolkata Class and sister ships INS Kamorta and INS Kadmatt of Indian Navy’s arsenal. It is 109 meters in length and 14 meters at beam and is propelled by four diesel engines to achieve speeds in excess of 25 knots with an endurance of 3450 nautical miles. It has displacement capacity of 3500 tonnes and has installed propulsion and auxiliary systems that provides very low radiated underwater noise feature, required for anti-submarine warfare. Enhanced stealth features of the ship have been achieved by ‘X’ form of Hull, full beam superstructure, inclined ship sides and use of InfraRed Signature Suppression (IRSS) system designed by NSTL for cooling the Engine and Generator exhausts.
10. A 5-judge constitutional bench will decide whether the Women’s fundamental right to pray at the place of their reference can be overruled on the grounds of religious belief “ biological factor exclusive to the female gender.” The matter was referred to this bench by Supreme Court of India.
11. The Ministry of Railways has introduced a new tri-weekly Special Rajdhani Express between Delhi and Mumbai . The main aim behind the move is to fulfill the long overdue demand of passengers and to provide faster and convenient connectivity to passengers between the two metro cities.
12. Kavita Devi becomes the first Indian Women to tie up with the World Wrestling Entertainment ( WWE) .Shadia Bseiso became the first Arab Woman from the Middle East to sign a WWE developmental contract.
13. CM of Rajasthan , Vasundhara Raje has opened up the expansion of Annapurna Rasoi Yojna in all the 191 urban areas of the state and she flagged off 50 Annapurna vans on the occasion at Ajmer.