1. Gopi Thonakal created history by becoming first Indian man to win Asian Marathon Championship. Uzbekistan’s Andrey Petrov won silver mdeal while Byambalev Tseveenravdan of Mongolia won bronze medal. Gopi Thonakal achieved the feat in the 16th edition of the prestigious event held at Dongguan in China. He clocked 2 hours 15 minutes and 48 seconds to clinch gold medal. It is a biennial international competition in marathon road running for Asian athletes. It is organised by the Asian Athletics Association. It was established in 1988 after 42.195-kilometre race was dropped from programme of events at Asian Athletics Championships.
2. To conduct electromagnetic probes and other experiments, China has designed and successfully launched remote sensing satellites. These satellites have successfully entered their preset orbit and they will conduct electromagnetic probes and other experiments. China earlier had launched three remote sensing satellites designed to improve observation capability to promote commercial use for the remote sensing industry. The satellites were carried by Long March-6 rocket, a new generation of liquid-fuelled carrier rocket developed by China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC). The launch was the 256th mission of the Long March rocket family. The satellites whose numbers were not specified yet were launched on board of Long March-2C rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwestern Sichuan province.
3. International Gita Mahotsav 2017 was inaugurated by President Ramnath Govind in Kurukshetra, Haryana. The second edition of the event was organised by Haryana Government. Mauritius was partner country and Uttar Pradesh was partner state of the event. The objective behind Mahotsav is to spread the message of Gita to world. Bhagavad Gita is a 700 verse Hindu scripture in Sanskrit that is part of Hindu epic Mahabharata. It is set in narrative framework of dialogue between Pandava prince Arjuna and his guide and charioteer Lord Krishna. President also participated in Gita Yajna and Gita Poojan ceremonies at Brahma Sarovar and Jyotisar, the birthplace of Bhagvad. He also inaugurated international seminar on Gita at the Kurukshetra University campus.
4. The rates for incentives under Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS) has doubled from 2% to 4% of value of exports by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The rates for incentives under this scheme have been enhanced for two subsectors of textiles industry — readymade garments and made-ups. Objective of MEIS is to offset infrastructural inefficiencies and associated costs involved in export of goods and products, which are produced and ma.nufactured in India. MEIS was launched under Foreign Trade Policy of India (FTP) 2015-20. Under this scheme, Ministry of Commerce gives duty benefits to several products. It provides duty benefits at 2%, 3% and 5% depending upon the product and country.
5. Nov 25 - The International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (IDEVAW) is observed every year across the world to raise awareness about violence against women and girls, end violence against women. It also seeks to show that prevention is possible against violence of women. The theme for the year 2017 is ‘Leave no one behind: end violence against women and girls.’
6. Scientists have discovered new species of gecko in the Eastern Ghats in northern Andhra Pradesh which was named Hemidactylus sushilduttai or Dutta’s Mahendragiri gecko, after eminent herpetologist Sushil Kumar Dutta from Odisha. It was identified from few areas in northern Mahendragiri range and scattered coastal hills in northern Andhra Pradesh.
7. The prices of 51 essential medicines, including those used for treatment of cancer, heart conditions, pain and skin problems has capped by the drug price regulator National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA). NPPA through separate notifications notified ceiling prices of 36 medicines and revised ceiling prices of 15 medicines. The prices were slashed in range of 6 to 53%. NPPA is an independent body under Department of Pharmaceuticals under Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
8. 36th International Geological Congress (IGC) in 2020 is going to host by India in NCR New Delhi. India had won the bid in 2012 at 34th IGC Brisbane, Australia to host the Congress in 2020. The 36th IGC to be held in New Delhi is jointly funded by Ministry of Mines and Ministry of Earth Sciences with active support of Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and science academies of India’s neighbouring co-host countries, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Recently, delegation of International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS) had visited India to discuss preparatory aspects of 36th IGC. The first session of IGC was held in 1878 in France and the 35th International Geological Congress was held at Cape Town, South Africa in 2016.
9. Researchers from Columbia University Medical Centre (CUMC) in US have converted natural bacterial immune system into the world’s smallest data recorder. The microscopic data recorder was created by taking advantage of CRISPR-Cas, an immune system in many species of bacteria. The researchers modified an ordinary laboratory strain of ubiquitous human gut microbe (bacteria) Escherichia coli (E Coli) which enabled it to record their interactions with environment and also time-stamp events.
10. National Foundation for Communal Harmony (NFCH). have observed the Communal Harmony Campaign Week was observed from November 19-25, 2017. The observation highlighted inherent strength and resilience of our nation to withstand actual and potential threats to eclectic and secular fabric of the country and nurture a spirit of communal harmony in its widest sense.
11. In line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to create a “New India” over the next five years the Union Government has selected 115 backward districts for rapid transformation by 2022. For each of these backward districts, government has nominated senior official in rank of Additional secretary and Joint secretary as Prabhari officer. The First meeting of the Prabhari Officers was recently held in New Delhi under the chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary. It was attended by Secretaries of the important central Ministries. These 115 backward districts include 35 districts affected by Left Wing Extremists (LWE) violence, 55 districts just affected by LWE and another 15 in Jammu and Kashmir and northeast affected by terrorism. Prabhari officers will assist District administration in sharing GOI’s vision for 2022 by ensuring convergence of efforts of central and state government and set up robust mechanism to monitor improvements in key outcomes in these backward districts.
12. The 12th meeting of Standing Committee of Inter-State Council was held in New Delhi. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the recommendations of the Punchhi Commission on Centre-state relations. The meeting was chaired by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh. The Standing Committee in 12th meeting discussed 118 recommendations contained in Volumes-III, IV and V and finalised its recommendations. This includes Subjects related to centre-state relations like GST, financial transfers from the centre to the states, Police reforms, migration etc. Volumes-I & II were discussed during the eleventh meeting of the Standing Committee which was held in the month of April 2017, and Volumes-VI and VII will be discussed during the next meeting of the Standing Committee. Finally, all the recommendations of the standing committee on Punchhi Commission’s report will then be placed before the Inter-State Council, headed by the Prime Minister.
13. India’s Ritu Phogat has won Silver medal in Under-23 Senior World Wrestling held in Poland. She won silver medal in 48 kg category. Ritu Phogat is an Indian female wrestler from the state of Haryana. She is one the three Phogat sisters from Haryana. Her sisters Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari, as well as cousin Vinesh Phogat, have established themselves as world-class wrestlers. Previously, Ritu Phogat won gold medal at the Commonwealth Wrestling in Singapore in the 48 kg category, bronze medal at the Asian Championships. She also won National championship, which was held Indore.
14. Since the launch of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Scheme in June 2015, 30.76 lakh houses for the urban poor have been sanctioned so far as announced by the Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs. Currently, 15.65 lakh houses are at various stages of construction and about 4.13 lakh houses have been constructed since launch of PMAY (Urban). PMAY(U) provide houses to all poor in urban areas by 2022. It is new version of Prime Minister’s Housing For All by 2022 vision. Its objective is to construct two crore houses across nation. It covers entire urban area consisting of 4041 statutory towns with initial focus on 500 Class I cities.. Intended beneficiaries of scheme are Poor people (BPL) and People living under Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) and LIG (Low income Group) categories in urban establishments of country. It also targets people living under MIG (middle income Group). Government will provide subsidy ranging between 1 lakh to 2.30 lakh to people from above categories in order to make them secure.
15. DANX-17, the Defence of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Exercise 2017 was conducted under the aegis of Andaman & Nicobar Command from 20 Nov – 24 Nov 2017. The exercise was crucial as at present, Indian Ocean Ridge ( IOR) witnesses the increased Chinese foot print . China has been participating actively in anti-piracy operations in the region. It claims that Indian Ocean is not India’s Ocean.
16. N. Sambasiva Rao was appointed as the Director-General of Police (DGP) of Andhra Pradesh.
17.State Bank of India on 24th November 2017 launched country’s first integrated lifestyle and banking digital service application named YONO or ‘ You Only Need Once ‘. YONO will be the first digital banking platform that will allow customers to meet their lifestyle needs including booking and renting cabs , entertainment, dining experience, travel and stay, etc . All the financial services product from SBI and its subsidiaries SBI Life, SBI General, SBI Mutual Fund, SBI Caps and SBI cards will be integrated on the app.