1. South Africa’s Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters (22) was crowned Miss Universe at pageant held at The AXIS at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States. With this she becomes, second South African to win this crown after Margaret Gardiner who had won Miss Universe 1978. Contestants from 92 countries had participated in the Miss Universe 2017. This year’s edition had the most contestants ever, including the first ever. Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters was born on 28 June 1995 in Sedgefield, Western Cape. She received a degree in business management from North-West University. She is fluent in both English and Afrikaans. The runner-up of Miss Universe 2017 was Miss Colombia Laura Gonzalez, while second runner-up was Miss Jamaica Davina Bennett.
2. Professor Hiroshi Marui of Japan was conferred with the third Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Distinguished Indologist Award for the year 2017. Indology is academic study of history, cultures, languages and literature of India and is a subset of Asian studies. He was presented with this award by President Ram Nath Kovind at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi. Professor Marui has spent over 40 years working on Indian philosophy and Buddhist Studies. He is President of Japanese Association of Indian and Buddhist Studies and has made significant contribution to Indology in Japan. The first award was given to Prof. Heinrich Freiherr Von Stietencron of Germany in 2015. Prof. Yu Long Yu of China was awarded in 2016. ICCR Distinguished Indologist Award is an annual award instituted by ICCR. It carries prize amount of US$ 20000.
3. Former Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Shaktikanta Das, was appointed as India’s G 20 Sherpa till December 31, 2018 for Development Track of G20 by the Union Ministry of Finance. There are two tracks in G 20-Development Track and Finance Track. Finance Track is managed by Secretary (Economic Affairs) as India’s Deputy to G-20 and Development Track is coordinated by Sherpa. The DEA, Ministry of Finance provides necessary support to the Sherpa. Sherpa is personal representative of leaders participating at G-20 summit and are responsible for thrashing out details before meeting of the leaders.
4. NK Singh, former bureaucrat and ex-Member of Parliament will be Chairman of 15th Finance Commission. The Union Government with the approval President of India has constituted 15th Finance Commission which will make recommendations for the five years commencing 1 April 2020 till 31 March 2025. Its other members are Shaktikanta Das, Former Secretary Economic Affairs; Dr Anoop Singh, Adjunct Professor of Georgetown University. Besides, Dr Ashok Lahiri, Chairman of Bandhan Bank and Dr Ramesh Chand, NITI Aayog Member will be the Part-time its members. Arvind Mehta will be Secretary to the Commission. The commission will recommend devolution of shareable central taxes to States. It will also review several important aspects of federal fiscal finance. It will make its report available by 30th October 2019. While making its recommendations, it will look at resources of Central Government and State Governments for five years commencing on 1st April 2020 on basis of levels of tax and non-tax revenues likely to be reached by 2024-25.
5. As part of Asian Development Bank’s (ADB’s) Country Partnership Strategy 2018-22, the multi-lateral funding agency will provide loans up to $4 billion on annual basis including non-sovereign or private debt during 2018-22 to accelerate inclusive economic transformation. Cumulatively, India which is the largest recipient of ADB will get about $20 billion over a period of 5 years. Under this strategy, ADB’s annual sovereign funding to India will increase from $2 billion to $3 billion while private sector funding will be doubled to $1 billion. The other priority pillars of strategy also include increasing annual funding to low income states and climate change.
6. Eminent exponent of Gwalior gharana of Hindustani classical music, Pandit Narayanrao Bodas (84), passed away in Pune, Maharashtra after a brief illness...
7. Karan Pierce was appointed as Britain’s ambassador to UN. With this, She become the first woman to be appointed to this role.She served as Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva.
8. US Media company Meredith Corporation on 27th Nov,2017 announced to acquire Time Inc., the publisher of Sports Illustrated and Fortune Magazines, for USD 2.8 billion in all-cash deal. The deal has been unanimously approved by the Boards of Directors of Meredith and Time Inc. The deal is expected to close during the first quarter of year 2018.
9. Ajeya Warrior , a joint military exercise will be held in Rajasthan from Dec 2017 ( 1-14) between India and United Kingdom at the Mahajan Field Firing Range. It will be third joint exercise between two countries. The first exercise was conducted in 2013 at Belgaum , Karnataka whereas for the second exercise in 2015, an Indian Army contingent has visited the United Kingdom.
10. Acclaimed Writer Nayantara Sahgal was awarded with the Life time Achievement Award at Times Lit Fest 2017 in New Delhi. She is an Indian writer who writes in English.She was presented with this award for “the rich corpus of work makes her life” and ” for serving as a constant reminder for what the duties of a writer are “. She belongs to the Nehru-Gandhi family.
11. The Mt Agung Volcano ( Bali’s highest mount volcano ) recently erupted and led to the closure of airport of Indonesia.
12. The State Government of Madhya Pradesh has recently announced the death sentence for raping 12 years old and below.
13. The Union Minister Menaka Gandhi has launched an intensive program to train elected women representatives ( EWRs) of Panchayat Raj Institutions.
14. Jeff Bezos ( Founder and CEO of Amazon.com ) became the first billionaire since 1999 to have net worth over USD 100 billion after Amazon’s shares climbed on Black Friday.
15. Mumbai will host the 15th MIFF for Documentary, Short, Animation film.
16. Axis Bank has launched the Block chain- based International Payment Service.
17. Dyal Singh College, Delhi will be renamed as Vande Mataram Maha Vidyalaya. This was announced by the governing body of the college.Post Last