1. Senior IPS officer Yogesh Chander Modi took over as new Director-General of National Investigation Agency (NIA), country’s premier anti-terror organism.
2. October 31-United Nations’s World Cities Day (WCD) is observed every year with the theme “Innovative Governance, Open Cities” to promote international community’s interest in global urbanization, push forward cooperation among countries in meeting opportunities and addressing challenges of urbanization, and contributing to sustainable urban development around the world. The general theme of day is ‘Better City, Better Life’.
3. Neelmani N. Raju was appointed as Karnataka’s first woman Director General and Inspector General of Police (DG and IGP). She had served in IB for 23 years and in 2016, after reaching post of joint director in IB, she returned to her home cadre as a DGP rank officer.
4. Heena Sidhu won 10-metre air pistol gold medal at Commonwealth Shooting Championships in Brisbane, Australia.
5. MSME Samadhaan-MSME Delayed Payment Portal was launched by the Union Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME). This portal aims at empowering micro and small entrepreneurs across country to directly register their cases relating to delayed payments by Central Miinistries, Departments, CPSEs, State Governments.
6. The Union Government and World Bank have signed $200 million Loan Agreement for Assam Agribusiness and Rural Transformation Project. It will help state to increase agricultural productivity by strengthening farming systems, raise private sector investments to promote agri-enterprises to create better job opportunities for youth in state.
7. China have launched world’s first hybrid electric tram powered by hydrogen fuel cells in China’s Tangshan city, north China’s Hebei Province to give big boost to green energy in public transport. The ecologically-friendly tram emits only water without any pollutants. It does not produce any nitrogen oxides (NOx), as the temperature of the reaction inside the fuel cell is kept under 100 degrees Celsius.
8. The Law Commission in latest report has recommended government to ratify Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment and also recommended life in jail for public servants convicted of torture.
9. Arms Rules to encourage investments in manufacture of arms, ammunition and weapons systems has been liberalized by the Union Home Ministry with aim of making India a regional leader in supplying small arms to neighbouring countries as well as become an export hub.
10. India and Italy have signed six agreements to boost cooperation in the fields of railways safety, energy and promoting mutual investments, among others after detailed talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Italian counterpart Paolo Gentiloni. It is first prime ministerial trip from Italy to visit India in more than a decade.
11. India has topped list of seven countries, accounting for 64% of the over 10 million new tuberculosis (TB) cases worldwide in year 2016 according to the Global TB Report 2017 released by World Health Organisation (WHO). India was followed by Indonesia, China, Philippines, Pakistan, Nigeria and South Africa. TB is bacterial disease caused by “Mycobacterium tuberculosis”.
12. The Supreme Court has adjourned the hearing of plea challenging Article 35A of the Constitution by three months. Article 35A of the Constitution empowers J&K legislature to define permanent residents (PR) of state. It was added through Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954 issued under Article 370 of Constitution by the President of India and not by amending constitution under Article 368.
13. October 31-Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) is observed every year across India to commemorate birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel who had played important role in unifying the country.
14. The Union Government has constituted Alternative Mechanism Panel headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to oversee merger proposals of public sector banks (PSBs). This alternative mechanism has been set up by the government to fast-track consolidation among public sector banks to create strong lenders. The other members of the panel include Railway and Coal Minister Piyush Goyal and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
15. The Supreme Court has decided to form a constitutional bench to hear petitions against Union Government’s decison to make Aadhaar mandatory for availing various services and government welfare schemes. A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Mishra, Justices AM Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud announced that a larger bench would be formed to hear these petitions.
16. India and Tunisia have jointly agreed to enhance cooperation in various sectors including in the fields of renewable energy , infrastructure , transport and automobiles,textiles,agriculture, drugs & pharmaceuticals, healthcare, ICT,SMEs and energy.
17. Indian Cricket Team captains Virat Kohli and Mithali Raj became no.1 at ICC ODI rankings for batsman andbatswomen.
18. Union Minister for state for social justice and empowerment , Ramdas Athawale launched the Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana during the fourth workshop of “ Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana in Mumbai. The objective of this scheme is to make high quality medicines available to all at affordable prices especially to the poor and underprivileged through exclusive outlet such as Jan Aushadi Medical Store.
19. Versatile actor and playwright Girish Karnad to be honoured with Tata Literature Lifetime Achievement award 2017 on 19th Nov 2017 at the National centre for performing arts (NCPA)Nariman Point In Mumbai. He will receive the award as a playwright.
20. The Assam Tourism Development Corporation (ATDC) announced to launch the Majuli Sustainable Tourism Development Project (MSTDP) to encourage carbon-free tourism experience in the country’s largest river island, Majuli.