1. The World’s first Information and Technology (IT) Campus for differently-abled persons (divyangs) is going to set up by the Telangana government in the state capital Hyderabad. The state Government has signed agreement with Vindhya E-Infomedia Private Limited to set up IT campus to for persons with disabilities (PWDs) on the occasion of World Disability Day (WDD). The proposed first of its kind differently-abled friendly campus will be set up in area of 10 acres near IT park developed by state Government near the Hyderabad international airport.
2. December 3 - the International Day of Persons with Disabilities is observed every year to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development with the theme of 2017 is “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient society for all”.
3. Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forests & Climate Change Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the XIth Annual MedTech Summit of Biodesign Programme was held in New Delhi. The summit was organised by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under the Bio Design Programme.
4. Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani inaugurated the first phase of Iran’s Chabahar port (Shahid Beheshti Port) which holds significant strategic and economic importance for India. It has been jointly developed by India, Iran and Afghanistan. It is Iran’s only oceanic port located on the Gulf of Oman, southeast of Iran near Pakistani border.
5. December 4- the Indian Navy Day is observed every year to celebrate achievements and role of the naval force to the country. Celebrations of Navy Day not only display India’s technological progress but also the maritime achievements of India. This year is 46th Navy Day. The observance of the day commemorates the launch of Operation Trident by the Indian Navy against Pakistan on 4th December, 1971.
6. Noxeno, a nasal foreign body removal device developed by start-up InnAccel Technologies Private Limited, Bangalore has been launched. It is first dedicated tool for anterior nasal foreign body (NFB) removal that allows doctors in any setting to quickly and safely remove objects that people (mostly children aged 2 to 10 years) put into their noses. It was developed by fellow trained under Biodesign program.
7. Vigilant Ace, the largest-ever joint aerial drills was conducted by South Korea and United States to enhance their readiness and operational capability and to ensure peace and security on Korean peninsula. The exercise comes after North Korea tested Hwasong-15, its most advanced and powerful Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) as part of its weapons programme.
8. Petro- Venezuela’s own cryptocurrency to circumvent US-led financial sanctions was launched by the President Nicolas Maduro.
9. UN Global Compact on Migration was pulled out by the United States. It has argued that Obama-era negotiated UN compact process deal contains numerous provisions that inconsistent with country’s immigration and refugee policies and Trump Administration’s immigration principles.
10. AROGYA 2017- the first International Exhibition and Conference on AYUSH and Wellness sector was organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in collaboration with Union Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council (Pharmexcil). Its theme was ‘Enhancing the global potential of AYUSH’.
11. The three day program of 6th International Tourism Mart (ITM) 2017 was held in Guwahati, Assam which was organized by Union Ministry of Tourism in association with all North Eastern states. The focus areas of 6th ITM was to spotlight on India’s “Act East Policy”, blossoming ties with ASEAN and larger East Asia region, home to world’s rapidly growing economies and India’s emerging tourism markets.
12. December 5- The World Soil Day is celebrated every year by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations with the theme for year 2017 is ‘Caring for the Planet starts from the Ground’. It aims to communicate messages on the importance of soil quality for food security, healthy ecosystems and human well-being.
13. Dinesh K Sarraf, the former CMD of ONGC was appointed as the new Chairman of Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
14. The International conference on climate change titled ‘Resilient Hindu Kush Himalaya: Developing Solutions towards a Sustainable Future for Asia’ was held in Nepal which was inaugurated by Nepal President Bidya Devi Bhandari. The 4-day conference aimed at developing solutions for a sustainable future for Asia that could withstand the impacts of climate change.
15. The Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers will constitute multi-disciplinary committee of experts for consultation on matters pertaining to implementation of drug price control order (DPCO) including technicalities involved in pricing and new launches. The committee is also mandated to recommend its opinion on claims of pharma companies about any additional therapeutic features associated with any formulation.
16. Dand Vidhi (Madhya Pradesh Sanshodhan) Vidheyak, 2017 bill was passed unanimously by the Madhya Pradesh assembly that will see rapists of girls 12 years or below being hanged till death. The bill proposes death penalty or a minimum term of 14-year rigorous imprisonment or life imprisonment till death for raping girls aged 12 or less. It also increases minimum punishment for gang rape of girls aged 12 or less to 20 years rigorous imprisonment. With this, Madhya Pradesh becomes first state where those convicted of such rapes will face the gallows. The Bill will now be sent to the President for his assent, after which it will become a law.
17. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to maintain status quo in policy rates by keeping repo rate unchanged at 6.0% under liquidity adjustment facility (LAF). Repo rate is the rate at which RBI lends to its clients generally against government securities.
18. The International Solar Alliance (ISA) is first treaty-based international government organization to be based in India. So far, 46 countries have signed and 19 ratified Framework Agreement of ISA. It became treaty-based international intergovernmental organization on 6th December 2017 one month after Guinea became 15th country to ratify it. The ISA is brainchild of India, jointly launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande in November 2015 in Paris on sidelines of COP-21 of UN Climate Conference. Its secretariat is located in campus of National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE), Gwalpahari, Gurgaon, Haryana.
19. Godrej Aerospace has won order from BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL) for supply of additional 100 units airframe fuel management systems for BrahMos Air-Launched Cruise Missile. Brahmos is supersonic cruise missile developed by BrahMos Aerospace, a joint-venture between Russia’s Mashinostroyenia and India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). It is hailed as world’s fastest anti-ship cruise missile in operation.
20. The 22nd conference of Asian Harmonization Working Party (AHWP) was recently held New Delhi. The five day conference was organised by Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) and National Drug Regulatory Authority (NDRA) of India in collaboration with Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. It is aimed at facilitating exchange of knowledge and expertise amongst regulators and industry.
21. The Union Environment Ministry has allowed NGT Chairperson to “constitute a single-member bench” in “exceptional circumstances”. This move will address festering problem of vacancies in NGT. According to earlier rules, NGT bench consisted of “two or more members” with at least one judicial member and another expert. The balance of judicial and independent experts was necessary to ensure that technical aspects of disputes were adequately addressed.
22. AKASH -the Surface to Air Missile (SAM) was successfully tested with indigenous radio frequency seeker against target UAV Banshee. It was successfully launched from Launch Complex-III at ITR Chandipur. Akash (means sky in English) is a mid-range surface-to-air missile (SAM). It is medium range nuclear capable supersonic missile. It has been indigenously developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) under Integrated Guided-Missile Development Programme (IGMDP). This was the first supersonic surface-to-air missile (SAM) with indigenous seeker that has been test fired. With this success, India has achieved the capability of making any type of SAMs. During the test, radars, telemetry and electro-optical systems along coast had tracked and monitored all the health parameters of the missile.
23.The new economic and partnership group named Joint Cooperation Committee, separate from Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) have been formed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Saudi Arabia. The new committee is assigned to cooperate and coordinate between UAE and Saudi Arabia in all military, political, economic, trade and cultural fields as well as others in the interest of the two countries. GCC is a political and economic alliance of six countries in Arabian Peninsula: Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and UAE.