1. Dec 9- The International Anti-Corruption Day (IACD) is observed annually to promote and strengthen measures to prevent and combat corruption more efficiently and effectively .The theme for year 2017 is “United against corruption for development, peace and security”.
2. Mamta Kalia (77) was chosen for Vyas Samman 2017 for her novel “Dukkham Sukkham”. She is a renowned Hindi scholar and writer. The Vyas Samman award was instituted by KK Birla Foundation in 1991. It is awarded annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi.
3. “Bodhi Parva: BIMSTEC Festival of Buddhist Heritage” was inaugurated by Minister of State (IC) for Culture Dr. Mahesh Sharma. The festival was held in New Delhi at IGNCA, Janpath (Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts as part of celebrations of 20th Anniversary of BIMSTEC. This festival aims to spread universal message of peace and tolerance practiced by Buddhism to address growing sense of inadequacy in face of changes and conflicts that people and the world face. BIMSTEC is an international organization comprising of India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bhutan.
4. India’s ‘first’ mobile food testing laboratory enabling on-the-spot food safety tests was launched in Goa by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar. The vehicle is equipped to conduct on-the-spot tests to check food quality and curb adulteration. It will also check hygiene level of water and the received within 15 minutes. The vehicle is equipped with milk analyser, hot air oven, hot plate, mixer grinder, digital weighing scale, digital multi parameter hand-held meter, power generator, air conditioner and refrigerator. This is the first ever ‘Food Safety on Wheel’ mobile laboratory in the country.
5. A new form of matter called excitonium was discovered by the researchers at the University of Illinois. Excitonium is a condensate made up of excitons and exhibits macroscopic quantum phenomena just like a superconductor. Excitons are particles that are formed in a very strange quantum mechanical pairing. They are obtained by combining escaped electrons and “holes”. The existence of this strange and mysterious type of matter was theorized after the term excitonium was theoretically coined by Harvard theoretical physicist named Bert Halper in the 1960s.
6. ‘MSME Sambandh’ - Public Procurement Portal for MSMEs was launched by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME). Its main objective is to monitor the implementation of the Public Procurement from MSEs by Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs). It will help MSMEs in participating in the procurement process.
7. Union Health Minister J P Nadda after releasing National Trachoma Survey Report (2014-17) in New Delhi. He declared that India was free from infective Trachoma, a contagious bacterial infection of the eye. The infection causes inflamed granulation on the inner surface of the lids. Trachoma is a chronic infective disease of eye and is leading cause of infective blindness globally. With this, India met goal of trachoma elimination as specified by World Health Organisation (WHO) under its GET2020 (Global Elimination of Trachoma by the year 2020) program.
8. The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has signed an implementation agreement with German firm GIZ GmbH for technical cooperation in implementation of transport projects in Coimbatore, Bhubaneshwar and Kochi. The project will give desired impetus in three major interventions proposed under Smart City Mission of MoHUA viz. ITS-based transport solutions, non- motorised vehicles and last mile connectivity. The main objective of these projects are to improve planning and implementation of sustainable urban transport.
9. The Geneva-based International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) received the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize at ceremony held in Oslo, Norway. The award was received by Beatrice Fihn, leader of ICAN and Hiroshima nuclear bombing survivor Setsuko Thurlow.
10. December 10- the World Human Rights Day (WHRD) is observed every year to commemorate adaptation of Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The theme for this year is ‘Let’s stand up for equality, justice and human dignity’. This year, Human Rights Day kicks off a year-long campaign to mark the upcoming 70th anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Observance of the day seeks to encourage, support and amplify measures to be taken by everyone to defend human rights.
11. Eminent scientist and father of DNA fingerprinting in India Lalji Singh (70) passed away following heart attack.
12. India’s External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and China’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wang Yi met together in the15th trilateral meeting of the Russia-India-China (RIC) foreign ministers was held in New Delhi. The discussions of meeting focused on regional security, issues affecting Asia-Pacific region, counter-terror efforts and coordination at regional and multilateral forums. The discussions of meeting focused on regional security, issues affecting Asia-Pacific region, counter-terror efforts and coordination at regional and multilateral forums.
13. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in collaboration with AIC (ASEAN-India Centre) and CII (Confederation of Indian Industry) have organized the ASEAN–India (Association of Southeast Asian Nations-India) Connectivity Summit (AICS) was held in New Delhi. The theme of summit was ‘Powering Digital and Physical Linkages for Asia in the 21st Century’. Its main focus areas were Infrastructure, Roadways, Shipping, Digital, Finance, Energy and Aviation. The AICS aimed at aimed at accelerating existing connectivity prospects, evolving suitable policy recommendations, identifying issues of concern and developing strategies to enhance economic, trade and industrial relations between India and ASEAN member countries.
14. Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram and Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Dr Raman Singh have inaugurated the Aadivasi Mahotsav 2017 was held in Raipur, Chhattisgarh to display the rich and diverse tribal traditions of the central state.
15. The world’s biggest automated container terminal at Yangshan Deep Water Port in Shanghai, the country’s commercial hub was opened in China.
16. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a door-to-door campaign for 15-days in the country for early diagnosis, detection and treatment of tuberculosis (TB) to eliminate the disease. Objective of this campaign is to detect these missed out cases by going to every household. It is follow to government’s set target to decrease incidences of TB by 90% by 2025 and reduce mortality due to the disease by 95% by 2030 under the Revised National TB Control Programme (RNTCP).
17. December 12- Universal Health Coverage (UHC )Day is observed every year to commemorate first unanimous United Nations resolution calling for countries to provide affordable, quality health care to every person, everywhere. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched ‘LaQshya’ Initiative and mHealth: Safe Delivery Application on the occasion of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) Day. Laqshya- A Labour Room Quality Improvement Initiative It is safe delivery mobile application for health workers who manage normal and complicated deliveries in the peripheral area. It objective is to improve quality of care provided to pregnant mother in Labour Room and Maternity Operation Theatres (OTs), thereby preventing undesirable adverse outcomes associated with childbirth. mHealth: Safe Delivery Application was launched for health workers who manage normal and complicated deliveries in peripheral areas.
18. The Indian Space and Research Organisation (ISRO) is developing small satellite launch vehicles to launch low-cost small satellites to cut the launch fee that customers pay. Ride on small launchers is ninth or tenth of the present cost. Besides, they are easy to assemble compared to about 40 days taken to assemble a PSLV.
19.Government has made mandatory for Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to seek approval from Department of Heavy Industry (DHI) before accepting any proposal to supply electric buses for availing incentives under the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India (FAME-India) scheme. The move is aimed at facilitating smooth roll out and management of demand incentives for e-buses under FAME.