1. ‘Rajyapal –VikasKeRajdoot: Catalytic Role of Governors as Agents for Change in Society’ , a report submitted by the Committee of Governors to President Ram NathKovind at Rashtrapati Bhavan.. Committee of Governors in its report has described an action-outcome framework to be adopted by Raj Bhavans in their role as change agents and lists out potential priorities. It comprises ESL Narasimhan (Governor of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana), BanwarilalPurohit, (Governor of Tamil Nadu), Ram Naik (Governor of Uttar Pradesh), Tathagata Roy (Governor of Tripura) and Acharya Devvrat (Governor of Himachal Pradesh). The Committee was constituted by President during 48th Conference of Governors in October 2017 to examine role of Governors in taking forward the developmental process.
2. Charlie-435, a state-of-the-art patrol vessel has commissioned by the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) at Karaikal in the Union Territory of Puducherry. With commissioning of Charlie-435, the Coast Guard station at Karaikal now has five vessels.It was commissioned by Puducherry Chief Minister V Narayanasamy. The patrol vessel ‘Charlie-435’ is equipped with modern navigation and communication system. The vessel will strengthen coastal security between Chennai and Kanyakumari in the Eastern Coastal region. It will be also of great help in rescuing fishermen who go adrift in sea due to bad weather.
3. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has introduced two-tier security feature viz. Virtual ID and Limited KYC to address privacy concerns. The Virtual ID will be random 16-digit number that can be generated from UIDA’s website and give for various purposes, wherever Aadhaar number is necessary to provide. It will be linked with biometrics of user that will give any authorised agency limited access of details like name, address and photograph. Using it, Aadhaar-card holders do not need to share their actual 12-digit biometric ID for any authentication. User can generate as many Virtual IDs as they want. The older ID will get automatically cancelled at time new one is generated. GKTodayThe move aims to strengthen security and privacy of Aadhaar data. It will also reduce the collection of Aadhaar numbers by various agencies.
4. The sub-committee of Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) looking into issues of girl’s education has recommended free and compulsory education for girls up to post-graduate level across the country. The sub-committee of CABE will also recommended establishing of exclusive residential degree colleges for SC/ST women besides provision of providing health and hygiene kits to girls. The committee also wants schools to maintain academic atmosphere, besides providing basic amenities like toilets, maintenance, running water, safety measures and power supply and also appoint a counsellor for adolescent girls. The sub-committee is likely to submit an interim report to Union Human Resource Development Ministry during CABE meeting on January 15, 2018.
5. India has missed December 2017 deadline announced for elimination of Kala Azar (black fever) in 2017-18 Budget by the Union Government. Kala-azar or visceral leishmaniasis (VL), also known as black fever and Dumdum fever is most severe form of leishmaniasis. For elimination of Kala Azar, its vector needs to be eliminated first. But it is very difficult to eliminate vector as it dwells in wooden structure and escapes various measures to kill it Elimination in this case is defined as reducing annual incidence of disease to less than 1 case per 10,000 people at the sub-district level. In recent times endemic blocks have increased from 61 to 68 in 17 districts of Bihar and Jharkhand.
6. The Union Cabinet has decided to fix three-year term of chairperson and the members of the board of the National Trust, an autonomous body under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. National trust is a statutory body under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment. Its mandate is to discharge two basic duties – legal and welfare. It fundamental purpose, is to create enabling environment, i.e. provide opportunities for Persons with Disabilities (PwD) through comprehensive support systems which will lead towards development of an inclusive society.
7. Rajasthan govt has decided to digitize 10,000 pages every day in order to preserve administrative and historical records of Rajputana’s princely states.. It aimed to protect old and fragile documents. This includes a dedicated startup policy and various e-governance measures.Already around one crore documents have been digitized. It has decided to digitize 3-4 crore documents that are considered to be important.
8. India and Indonesia held their first bilateral security dialogue in New Delhi to combat terrorism. From Indian side Ajit Doval ( National security Adviser)and from Indonesia the meeting was led by H Wiranto, Co-ordinating minister for political, legal and security affairs.
9. North Korea has agreed to conduct talks with South Korea to reduce military tensions, to send a delegation to the upcoming winter Olympics 2018 in Pyeongchang,South Korea.
10. A MoU was signed between South Korea and GCCI (Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and industry) for co-operation between South Korea and industries in Gujarat. The MoU focuses on co-operation in automobiles, defence and textile sectors.
11. CM of Baluchistan, Nawab Sanaullah Zehri , resigned before a no confidence motion was taken against him in the provincial assembly.
12. ISRO on 11th Jan 2018 began the 28 hr count down to launch 31 satellites in Sriharikota , Andhra Pradesh . It will be the first space mission of India in 2018.Among these, 3 satellites will be of India and 28 from six other countries. These satellites will be launched onboard the PSLV C-40 rocket. This launch comes 4 months after the rocket failed to deliver the India’s 8th navigation satellite in the earth’s lower orbit on 31st Aug 2017.The PSLV C-39 was unsuccessful as the heat shield failed to separate.
13. Research designs and Standards Organisation ( RDSO), a research unit of Ministry of Railways have launched transparent and efficient new online Vendor Registration system.
14. Aanchal Thakur became the first Indian to win an international medal in Skiing , by winning a bronze medal in the Alphine Ejder 3200 cup.
15. Amazon CEO, Jeff Bezos became the richest person of all time. Eariler this position was held by Microsoft Founder Bill Gates.
16. Harjinder Singh was appointed as the Chef de Mission for 23rd Winter Olympic Games 2018 which is scheduled to take place from 9th to 25th February 2018 in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
17.Sunny Verghese, Singapore based Indian –origin businessman has been appointed as the Chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development ( WBCSD).