1. According to data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO), India’s factory output, measured by the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) rose to 8.4% in November 2017 from 2% in October 2017. It was highest growth registered by IIP in 17-months. The previous high was recorded at 8.9% in June, 2016.
2. The captive breeding of Chiru (Tibetan antelope) was refused by the Ministry of Environment and Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC). It’s underfur is used for making famous Shahtoosh shawls. It takes three to five hides to make a single shawl. Moreover, the wool cannot be sheared or combed and to collect the fur, the animals have to be killed. At present, Shahtoosh shawls’ sale and possession is banned in India and in many countries.
3. For the completion of balance works of North Koel reservoir project, the Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bihar and Jharkhand. The project is situated on North Koel river, tributary on Sone River. It aims to provide irrigation to 111,521 hectares of land annually in most backward and drought prone areas in Jharkhand and Bihar.. The construction of the projected originally had started in 1972 and continued till 1993 when it was stopped by the Bihar forest department over environmental concerns.
4. India –UK “Createch Summit “ will be held in Mumbai on Feb 6, 2018.The objective of this summit is to celebrate and explore the convergence of creativity and technology “Createch” and its application across a range of areas.
5. CM of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the 12th International festival of arts and artists in Bhubaneshwar.
6. Indian Navy decommissioned warships INS Nirbhik and INS Nirghat at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai. INS Nirbhik has served Indian Navy for 30 years and INS Nirghat for 28 years
7. Two BeiDou-3 satellites has successfully launched by China to provide navigation and positioning services to countries along Belt and Road initiative (BRI) by the end of 2018. The two satellites were designated as BeiDou-3 M7 and BeiDou-3 M8 (26th and 27th satellites) in BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS). This was first launch of the BeiDou satellites in 2018. China is plannig to send 18 BeiDou-3 satellites into space in 2018.
8. Saudi Arabia’s first motorshow for women customers was held in Jeddah on 11th Jan 2018. It is to be noted that in Sep 2017, Saudi King Salman had ordered an end to the ban on Women drivers by June2018.
9. 13th Annual Iron fist joint exercises was conducted by US and Japan military in California, US.
10. Rizhao, a new missile frigate was commissioned by the People’s Liberation Army in a naval port in Dalian, China.The Missile frigate Rizhao is 140 m long and 16 m wide designed and made by China
11. Yara International, a Norwegian company announced the completion of its acquisition of Tata Chemicals Ltd’s 1.2 million tones per annum production capacity urea plant located at Babrala in Uttar Pradesh. This marks the first foreign direct investment in India’s highly regulated urea sector. Its deal value is Rs2682 cr.
12. The Board of directors of IDFC bank ( a private sector bank ) approved the merger of their bank with Capital First ( a non banking financial firm ).
13.Sarjubala Devi won gold medal and the best boxer trophy in the National Women’s Boxing Championship , in Rohtak, Haryana