1. To suggest changes to Section 126 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 (RP Act) in view of social media expansion, the Election Commission (EC) has constituted 14 member committee headed by Umesh Sinha. The committed will study impact of new media and social media during the “silence period” i.e. during 48 hours period prior to elections and its implication in view of Section 126 of RP Act, 1951. It will suggest modifications to the RP Act, 1951and model code of conduct (MCC).
2. Saksham 2018 (Sanrakshan Kshamta Mahotsav) has launched by the Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas. Saksham aims at creating focused attention on fuel conservation through people centric activities and sensitize masses about conservation and efficient use of petroleum products leading to better health and environment.
3. Kerala Accelerator Program -a virtual accelerator program for three months has been introduced by Kerala Government to promote startups in the early revenue stage. This program will help startups achieve product-market fit through a curated customer validation process. It will introduce startups to investors, relevant customers and industry connects. It will provide both live and virtual mentoring sessions. It was launched by Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM) in association with Zone Startups India.
4. The iconic Teen Murti Chowk in central New Delhi was renamed as Teen Murti-Haifa after Israeli City Haifa ,after Haifa was proposed in New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) council meeting during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Israel in July 2017. The renaming of the iconic war memorial is aimed at being symbolic gesture of India’s friendship with Israel. Teen Murti Chowk was named to mark role of the three cavalry regiments. The three bronze statues at Teen Murti represent Hyderabad, Jodhpur and Mysore Lancers who were part of 15 Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade in British Indian Army.
5. According to wealth index released on basis of data from fourth round of National Family and Health Survey (NFHS-4) Delhi is richest state and Jain wealthiest community in the country. Bihar is poorest state half of its households in the bottom quintile. Rajasthan has most equitable wealth distribution with similar number of households in all quintiles.
6. CM of Bihar, Nitish Kumar launched schemes worth over Rs.200 Cr during his state wide ‘Vikas Samiksha yatra’.
7. Indian Army establishes skill training centre for Kashmiri youths in Baramulla district of Jammu & Kashmir. The centre will provide two weeks of specialized training in food processing and information technology.
8. Bikaner camel festival was held in Rajasthan on 13th & 14th Jan 2018.During the festival, camel dances, camel races , camel rides, etc were held.
9. 7th edition of Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav -2018 under the Ek Bharath Shreshtha Bharat Programme began in Karnataka on Jan 14,2018.This programme aims to celebrate the idea of unity in diversity by promoting engagement amongst the people of different states /UT’s and thereby strengthening people-people bond. Under this programme Karnataka is paired with Uttarakhand.
10. India signed a MoU with UK for the illegal Indian migrants within a month of their detection by UK authorities.
11. Sanjay Manjrekar launched his autobiography named ‘Imperfect’ in Mumbai
12. Kagiso Rabada , South Africa fast bowler becomes World’s highest ranked test bowler in the MRF Tyres ICC test player rankings.