1. March 8 – International Women’s Day
1. Paytm has launched the ‘Paytm for Business’ app in Tamil Nadu. It enables merchants to track payments, view past collections and make settlements instantly. It can be downloaded from Android play store. Available in 10 regional languages.
1. A MoU on Cooperation in field of Renewable Energy between India and Hellenic was appraised by the Union Cabinet in Nov 2017. Under this agreement, both countries aim to establish basis for cooperative institutional relationship to encourage and promote technical bilateral cooperation on new and renewable issues on basis of mutual benefit equality and reciprocity.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved two key measures in telecom sector. These include restructuring of Deferred Payment Liabilities of TSPs for spectrum and Revision of limits of cap for spectrum holding in order to facilitate investments, consolidation in the sector and enhancing ease of doing business.
3. The signing of Migration and Mobility Partnership Agreement between India and France was approved by the Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi. The agreement represents major milestone in enhancing people-to-people (P2P) contacts between both countries. It will foster mobility of students, academics, skilled professionals and researchers and strengthen cooperation on issues related to irregular migration and human trafficking between countries. The agreement will be signed during forthcoming state visit of French President to India.
4. THE CCI (The Competition Commission of India) order comes on complaint filed by Express Industry Council of India (EICI) against airlines alleging cartelization. It has directed three airlines (Jet Airways, InterGlobe Aviation and SpiceJet) to cease and desist from anti-competitive practices. The penalties were imposed at the rate of 3% of three airlines average relevant turnover of last 3 financial years.
5. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved Rs. 1,151 crore Central Sector Scheme for in-situ management of crop residue in Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh and NCT of Delhi. Government will provide 80% financial assistance of project cost to cooperative societies of farmers, FPOs, SHGs, registered farmers societies or farmers groups, private entrepreneurs and group of women farmers.
6. The Maharashtra government told the Legislative Council that the sale of gutka, which is banned in the state, would be made a non-bailable offence. The government plans to enhance the punishment for the offence to three years in prison.
7. The Haryana government proposed a pension scheme for widowers in the state. The matter is currently with the Finance Department and under consideration. The widowers above 45 years of age, who have children and have not remarried, would be eligible under the pension scheme.
8. Indian Railways have now planned to provide Automatic Train Protection (ATP) system conforming to ETCS level-2 standards on the entire Indian Railway Broad Gauge (BG) network. The system will provide technological aid to Loco Pilots for avoiding Signal Passing at Danger (SPAD).
9. The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) launched Udyam Sakhi Portal for women entrepreneurs of India on the occasion of International Women’s Day( March 8, 2018) The portal aims to nurture entrepreneurship and create business models for low cost products and services in order to empower women.
10. ‘Suvidha’, the 100 per cent Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin, under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) was launched by the Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs Mr. Ananthkumar. The affordable sanitary napkin will be available for Rs 2.50 per pad at over 3200 Janaushadhi Kendras across India and would ensure ‘Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha’ for the underprivileged Women of India. These napkins would be physically available by May 28, 2018, which is observed as World Menstrual Hygiene Day.
11. The Silver Jubilee of the Losar festival was celebrated in Itanagar , Arunachal Pradesh by the Buddhist Community. Losar festival is celebrated as New year for 3 days in their Buddhist Calendar. This year they entered into 2145 Earth Dog Year, according to the Buddhist Calendar.
12. Odisha MSME International Trade Fair 2018 began in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha which will be held from 5th March to 10th March. It focuses mainly on food processing sector.
13. Indira Gandhi International Airport (New Delhi )has been ranked as World no : 1 among airports handling more than 40 million passengers per annum as per the survey conducted by Airports Council International ( ACI). Mumbai’s Chhatrapathi Shivaji International Airport has been chosen as the World’s Best Airport for Customer Experience.
14. Delhi Government approved a proposal for delivering rations in sealed packets at the door step of PDS ( Public Distribution System) beneficiaries. It will address the issues like theft of ration, poor quality of supplies and shops remaining closed.
15. Shigmotsav or Shigmo is the biggest Hindu festival in Goa celebrated from 3rd March to 17th March 2018.Parades are conducted that depicts the Goa People. Folk dances like Ghode Modni and Fugdi are performed.
1. Recently, US had proposed to impose tariffs of 25% on steel imports and 10% on imported aluminium to protect domestic steel industry from cheap imports. It had clubbed India as steel non-mature country with other steel surplus nations. The proposal, if implemented, will result in major shifts in existing global trade flows of steel and steel products. It will dent growth prospects of developing nation like India, whose production and consumption of steel is inward looking.
2. India-China bilateral trade has reached $84.44 billion last year, a historic high with 18.63% year-on-year growth rate according to data of Chinese General Administration of Customs. This is considered as historic landmark as volume of bilateral trade for first time has touched $80 billion, well above the $71.18 billion registered in 2016. India has emerged as the seventh largest export destination for Chinese products, and 24th largest exporter to China.
3. World ATM congress held in Madrid, Spain from 6th to 8th March 2018.ATM stands for Air Traffic Management. Airports Authority of India (AAI) participating in this congress.
4. Sri Lankan Government declared a state of emergency on 6th March 2018 for 10 days to prevent the spread of communal violence between majority Sinhala and minority Muslims in Kandy district. This will be the first time since Aug 2011, that the state of emergency will be in force in Sri Lanka,
5. Washington became the first state in US to pass its own net neutrality law. The bill forbids internet service providers from blocking or slowing the flow of web content, or from charging websites for higher delivery speed.
Science & Technology/Defence :
1. India’s ranking in the adoption of cloud-friendly policies has come down from 18 in 2016 to 20 out of 24 leading IT economies according to the report by "BSA | The Software Alliance". The fall in India’s ranking shows that the legal and regulatory environment in the country is restricting innovation. Cloud computing services is a tool that can help countries to constructively self-evaluate their policies and determine the next steps to increase adoption of the technology.
1. Neiphiu Rio was appointed as the CM of Nagaland. He belongs to National Democratic Progressive party .
2. US President Donald Trump’s top economic adviser Gary Cohn resigned from his position.
3. Ryoko Azuma ( 44) became Japan’s female chief of warship unit. She was appointed as the Commander of a unit that consists of Japan’s biggest warship.
1. Legendary Indian architect Balkrishna Doshi (90), a pioneer of low-cost housing design has won the prestigious Pritzker Prize, considered architecture field’s Nobel. He is 45th Pritzker laureate and first from India to receive it. The international Pritzker prize was established by Chicago’s Pritzker family in 1979. It is considered to be one of the world’s premier architecture He is also known as an institution builder. He established his studio Vastu-Shilpa (environmental design) in 1955 and worked with Louis Kahn and Anant Raje in designing campus of IIM Ahmedabad. He also designed campuses of IIM Bangalore and Lucknow, National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Tagore Memorial Hall, Institute of Indology in Ahmedabad, among other fine campuses and buildings across India, besides many low-cost housing projects.
2. Harry Athwal, a British Indian has been selected for the Pride of Birmingham award in UK for his bravery. In 2017, during the Barcelona terror attack, he risked his own life to help an injured boy. But unfortunately the boy was died on the spot.
1. MK Bhargav , former Chairman of Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association ( MPCA) passed away due to long illness in Indore, MP.
Prepared bySarala Dhavamanoharan