1. April 14 - B.R.Ambedkar Remembrance Day also known as Ambedkar Jayanti was observed all over India to commemorate the birth anniversary of B.R.Ambedkar who was born on 14 April 1891. He was the architect of Indian Constitution. He is known as the “Father of Indian Constitution.”
|CLICK HERE TO BUY ONLINE|
1. Phase-1 of FAME India Scheme to provide financial support to electric and hybrid vehicles was extended by another six months till 30 September 2018 or till launch of phase-II by the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises. FAME India Scheme stands for Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles.
2. The second edition of India Mobile Congress (IMC-2018) organised by Department of Telecommunications (DoT) and Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) will be held in New Delhi on October 25-27, 2018. The theme of second edition of IMC is NEW DIGITAL HORIZONS Connect, Create, innovate. It expects participation of more than 200,000 professionals. The exhibition would feature more than 1,300 exhibitors. The first IMC held in September 2017 was attended by around 2,000 delegates, 32,000 visitors, 152 speakers, 100 exhibitors and 100 start-ups.
3. India’s forex (foreign exchange) reserves have touched record high of $424.864 billion in April 2018 according to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The surge was due to massive spike in foreign currency assets (FCAs), a key component of the reserves.
4. A 13-member task force has been constituted by the Union Government to prepare road map and fast-track implementation of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) technology or drones in the country.
5. Prime Minister Modi launched first of 1.5 lakh health and wellness centres, planned under the recently launched Ayushman Bharat Scheme, at Jangla village in Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh on the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti on April 14, 2018. Ayushman Bharat Scheme was approved by the Union Cabinet on March 21, 2018 with budgetary support of Rs 10500 crore.
6. Tripura State Government approved Rs 50.67 crore to set up an Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) at Bodhjungnagar, located 15 km away from Agartala on April 12, 2018. Bodhjungnagar is one of North Eastern region’s biggest industrial zones. Decision to set up IIIT at Bodhjungnagar in Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode was taken in 2012. However, the project could not take off due to non clearance of funds from the previous Left Front government. The institute would be set up on 52.08 acres land and the total project cost would be Rs 128 crore.
7. ‘QUEST’, a centre to evaluate and quantify special development budget allocations and their impact on tribal development was launched by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis . ‘QUEST’ stands for Quality Evaluation for Sustainable Transformation. Maharashtra has become the first among all Indian states to kick start such initiative.
8. Andhra transforming its capital into world class city in its de facto capital Amaravati. Nearly 3840 apartments in 61 towers are under construction in the Amaravati capital region.
9. National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has signed a MoU with the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) to provide skill training to 500 youth and women at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu. As per the terms of the MoU, firstly, NSDC will conduct a baseline survey in 19 villages in Tirunelveli district to assess nature and extent of talent gap and will accordingly identify job roles for the training.Thereafter, NSDC will impart training through its approved training partners near KKNPP. The objective is to provide gainful employment (wage and self-employment) to nearly 70 percent of the trained candidates post-training.
10. 6th edition of Heat Action Plan (HAP) aimed at protecting city dwellers from scorching temperatures during summer was launched by Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC), in Gujarat. Key elements of this year’s HAP are expanding use of cool roofs, increasing access to drinking water, reflective paint on buildings to lower inside temperatures and training medical professionals to help protect patients during extreme heat. AMC has been implementing HAP since 2013. Ahmedabad is the first city to prepare and implement heat action plan. The plan has been designed and will be implemented in partnership with Gandhinagar-based Indian Institute of Public Health (IIPH) and US based Natural Resources Defence Council (NRDC) along with other groups and NGOs.
11. A power plant worth Rs 502 crore will be set up in Bandhwari village of Gurugram district, Haryana, to produce electricity from waste under the Integrated Solid Waste Management Scheme. The plant will be set up by August 2019.
12. Indian Government will be setting up a dedicated defence and aerospace small and medium enterprises (SME) fund, registered with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). The main objective for setting up this fund is to channelize investments into the two defence corridors announced by Government of India in Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
1. UN Road Safety Trust Fund to improve road safety worldwide has been launched by the United Nations to save lives and prevent the loss of opportunity associated with road accidents. The fund aims to accelerate progress in improving global road safety by bridging gaps in mobilization of resources for effective action at all levels. It will support efforts along five pillars of Global Plan for Decade of Action for Road Safety (2011-20).
2. Union External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj met the Afghan Defence Minister Lieutenant-General Tariq Shah Bahramee in New Delhi and agreed to make efforts in combating terrorism in the South Asian region. Lieutenant-General Tariq Shah Bahramee was in India to attend 10th edition of Defence Expo 2018 in Tamil Nadu. During the course of this visit, he also met Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. During the meeting, Ms. Sushma Swaraj and Lieutenant-General Tariq Shah Bahramee pushed for efforts to combat the menace of opium cultivation and drugs trafficking which is the main source of funding terrorism against the people of Afghanistan.
3. Indian companies and Russian Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) signed 7 MoUs at the DefExpo 2018 held in Thiruvidanthai, Chennai On 13th April 2018.
4. The state of cooperation between Kazakhstan and India in the energy sector was discussed and analysed at the 16th International Energy Forum held in New Delhi from 10th to 12th April 2018. The talks were focused on “The future of global energy security – transition, technology, trade and investment”, and how Kazakhstan and India can improve cooperation in the energy sector within the framework of the IEF and the Gas Exporting Countries Forum (GECF).
5. US, Britain and France have targeted Damascus (capital of Syria) and surrounding areas in response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s chemical attack that killed over 60 people last week.Russian President Vladimir Putin said that Russia will call an emergency session of UN Security Council regarding the airstrike on Syria.
1. The intra-state e-way bill will come into effect on 20th April 2018 in Haryana. The e-way bill is mandated for intra-state movement of goods also in Haryana. This was announced by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar at the inaugural function of new building of excise and taxation. He said the Haryana state government has been expanding e-governance in a planned manner to create an easy and transparent work environment.
1. Siddharth Varadarajan, the founding editor of The Wire, will be awarded the Shorenstein Journalism Award for 2017 at Stanford University on 16th April 2018. Nayan Chanda, a member of the jury said that, Siddharth Varadarajan’s initiative in independent, web-based journalism as founding editor of The Wire, his well-researched reports, and his commentaries have attributed to his success.
2. The 65th National Film Awards for year 2017 were announced by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting on 13 April 2018. Assamese film Village Rockstars won the award in the Best Feature Film category. Baahubali 2: The Conclusion directed by S. S. Rajamouli was selected as the Best Popular film providing wholesome entertainment. Shekhar Kapur was the head of the Jury this edition of awards feature films.Awards in various categories are as follows Dada Saheb Phalke Award: Vinod Khanna Best Feature Film: Village Rockstars (Assamese) Best Director: Jayaraj for ‘Bhayanakam’ (Malayalam) Best Action Direction: ‘Baahubali 2: The Conclusion’ Best Choreography: Ganesh Acharya for ‘Toilet Ek Prem Katha. Best Special Effects: ‘Baahubali 2: The Conclusion’ Special Jury Award: Nagar Kirtan (Bengali) Best Lyrics: Muthurathinam Best Music Direction: AR Rahman for ‘Katru Veliyidayi’ Best Make-up Artist: Ram Rajak for ‘Nagar Kirtan’ Best Costume: Gobinda Mandal for ‘Nagar Kirtan’ Best Production Design: Santosh Rajan ‘Take Off’ Best Editing: Rima Das for ‘Village Rockstar’ Best Sound Design: ‘Walking With The Wind’ Best Audiography (Location Sound): Mallika Das, Village Rockstar Best Location Sound Recording: Mallika Das for ‘Village Rockstar’ Best Screenplay Original: Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum Best Screenplay Adapted: Bhayanakam Best Cinematography: Bhayanakam Best Female Playback Singer: Sashaa Tirupati for ‘Kaatru Veliyidayi’. Best Male Playback Singer: K.J Yesudas for song ‘Poy Maranja Kalam’ from ‘Viswasapoorvam Mansoor’ Best Child Artist: Anita Das for ‘Village Rockstar’. Best Children’s Film: ‘Mhorkya’ Best Film on Environmental Conservation: ‘Irada’ Best Direction: Jayaraj for ‘Bhayanakam’ Best Feature Film on National Integration: Dhappa (Marathi) Best Debut Film of Director: ‘Sinjar’ Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment: ‘Baahubali 2: The Conclusion’ Best Regional Films Special Mention: Marathi: Mhorkya Malayalam: Take Off. Best Regional Films: Hindi: Newton Ladakh: Walking With The Wind Lakshadweep: Sinjar Tulu: Paddayi Marathi: Kachcha Limboo Malayalam: Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum Kannada: Hebbettu Ramakka Bengali: Mayurakshi Assamese: Ishu Telugu: Ghazi Gujarati: Dhh Odiya: Hello Arsi.
1. Virat Kohli and Mithali Raj, captains of Indian men and women’s cricket team respectively found a place in the Wisden’s leading cricketers of the year. England’s women cricketers Heather Knight, Natalie Sciver and Anya Shrubsole have been selected for Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year. West Indies batsman Shai Hope and Essex bowler Jamie Porter were also chosen for Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year. Stu Forster of Getty Images took a picture of English fast bowler Katherine Brunt taking a selfie at the cricket world cup final at Lord’s stadium. This has been selected as the Cricket Photograph of the Year.